Attention Scott Penn and management

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Vidmar - Bazeagle and I are long term season tickets holders who've barely missed a game in decades rain hail or shine and were there in our usual seats last night. Baz posted before leaving for the ground but that was at 3.45pm.

Anyhow in terms of the crowd problem obviously last night's depressing 8,000 was a weather problem (not to mention lack of a proper NRL standard stadium).

The bigger problem discussed on this thread is simply about getting 16,000 plus to turn up regularly.

Someone suggested The Hill be covered by a really nice looking weather proof sail. Good for both the rain AND the sun, and may improve crowd sizes (if people knew they wouldn't get wet).

Maybe that would be something that would pay for itself.

Done smartly, it could also make Brooky unique and modern.

Having to attend 3 games as a family to get a discount takes the spare of the moment ' lets go to the footy today kids!' types outta the equation.
If it was a fixed price ($40) per game then people like me would take the gang instead of going by ourselves or with 1 other person. My accountant (wife) famous line is "its too expensive if we all go, you just go". $40 for all of us? Too hard to say no.

cf2 is back said:
Vidmar - Bazeagle and I are long term season tickets holders who've barely missed a game in decades rain hail or shine and were there in our usual seats last night. Baz posted before leaving for the ground but that was at 3.45pm.

Anyhow in terms of the crowd problem obviously last night's depressing 8,000 was a weather problem (not to mention lack of a proper NRL standard stadium).

The bigger problem discussed on this thread is simply about getting 16,000 plus to turn up regularly.

Thanks CF2 good to hear that you and bazeagle are both members.

His post was listed as 4.42pm on my screen but that may be due to my settings on the new system.

As you can imagine there is a lot of time and effort put in behind the scenes to get people to games on a regular basis.

But, as we've seen on here, weather, cost (no matter how it is structured) and the fact that people can watch it on TV and avoid having to leave home all impact (as do a wide range of other factors)

I was in the Leagues club pre-game and talking to a mate of a mate who preferred to stay in the club and watch on TV over a couple of schooners rather than walk over to the game even when he was offered a spare ticket for free so cost is not always a motivator.

There is still work going on with regard to the stadium improvements so stay tuned as that will have an influence on spectator comfort and corporate capacity (which will perhaps allow some flexibility on ticket prices in other parts of the ground)

It will be intesting to see how Nathan Tinkler subsidising ticket prices in a one team town like Newcastle will go - When you consider that the Broncos have by far and away the largest attendances in the comp and don't have to discount then there pro's and con's in taking that tact I guess.

I'm not sure what impact a standard $40 family pass per game would have on attendance numbers but I'm sure it would impact on season ticket sales or make the pricing of them so low (as of course membership packages attract a discount) as to impact significantly on the long term financial viability of running a business in the NRL

All good points Vidmar.

I hate hearing about the bloke in the Leagues club that can't be bothered walking over to the ground. Live tv has certainly killed crowds. Sydney people are eternally lazy and in truth have more to do, plus sadly unlike Melb AFL supporters don't have the tribal passion.

I thought Pablo's point above did back what I've been saying in that families like his just wants to turn up on the spare of the moment and get in cheap.

Jerry1 said:
It is an expensive day out the footy. I view it as one of my only treats. I earn good money but have to watch what I spend it on. Everything has gone up loads recently, food, petrol, electricity etc etc. But it's our treat, I'm going to have a pie and a couple of beers. With the kids it works out at close to 100 bucks a game. I can see how others would be put off by funding. For me it's not just the footy it's the whole day out thing. It's a package.

Family's like Jerry's is where Manly should be aiming their marketing.Encouraging the famillies through the gate not only brings $$$ in now,but also in the future when the kids become adults themselves.Look after the familys and the crowds will increase.Simple!!!

Hey Vidmar.
Here's the truth.
Zorba is triple old school and has no idea of how marketing operates, how social media has impacted this area and he seems to be firmly stuck in the past.
The NRL Memberships marketing initiative has driven up club membership figures across all clubs. Zorba and Manly's marketing has done what?
Made everything too complex for mostly everyone.
And to your last point, I am a Jane Try Season Ticket holder and go to every home game and some away matches except for Blue Tongue on a Friday night.
So don't go there buddy.

Vidmar - I'd just like to apologise for my mate Baz's unnecessary aggro on that last point - as you said above you were pleased to hear that we are long term members.

I didn't want to have to bring this up on the Manly forum but the fact is Baz and I were equal leaders of our tipping comp until last night when he sadly tipped the Roosters. I've been trying to calm him down ever since as it's a long season.

Baz, I agree Zorba is old school but he is only the media manager, not the marketing department.
Lowe and Penn should be the ones accountable for the current marketing strategy.

The reality is, 10,000 people paying $25 each is 250k gate sales revenue.
15,000 people paying $15 each is 225k gate sales revenue.

The point about the club making more money from the extra people through food and beverage sales, is mute. The club do not make money from food and beverage sales each game, as the sole provider pays the Sea Eagles annually, for these exclusive rights, irrespective of the crowd numbers.

Not sure how accurate your maths are there WAMF, plenty of season season tickets holders like us pay around $42 per game. Which reminds me what happens to the home game we lose that goes to Brisbane?? Haven't seen a refund!!!

But your point is good about the Lowe and Penn responsibilities.

I'd also throw into the argument that 16,000 plus crowds breed success on the field which breeds premiership results and further income.

My mathematical ability is irrelevant, although I can't find errors in the simple multiplications I gave. Can you? I know that there are some members paying nearly 50 a match but I was trying to keep it simple because this does not represent the 'majority' of attendees and the club does not need to attract season ticket holders who are already season ticket holders!

If you have a premium product, why the need to discount when it won't make any more money? Success will ensure the fans turn up to Brookvale, not cheap tickets.

Discounts do not always equal increased purchases, furthermore the long term impact of reducing prices is not beneficial to the brand. Successful marketing handles includes handling a range of customer objections not just price - not forgetting you risk alienating all the members who had already paid a premium

The clubs approach of establishing a large, stable, membership base is a far smarter option than appear in the bargain basement next to the Knights

Goodness, the bogans who would have us just as Tinkler. The Knights are going to look mighty sick when he has squandered his fortune on dumb sporting decisions and horses.

We are better off with bigger crowds, get people used to coming to the footy and enjoying it and a better atmosphere and then you can up prices slowly again.

I wrote a ranty post which I lost so in brief….

Reducing prices is a simplistic reaction which will most likely not = long term success. Why? There are a number of other objections other than price (comfort of ground, facilities, timing of games, transport to mention a few).

Furthermore there is also a significant impact on the brand brand, current members (who paid a premium to support the club) etc. Once you create a consumer expectation of lower prices it is very difficult to move the price point upwards. If you are like tinkler who appears to have bottomless pockets then this os okay – there is no way this is a long term strategy for us

The clubs current tactic of building up a core, stable, supporters group is far smarter than “cut prices”.

bazeagle said:
Hey Vidmar.
Here's the truth.
Zorba is triple old school and has no idea of how marketing operates, how social media has impacted this area and he seems to be firmly stuck in the past.
The NRL Memberships marketing initiative has driven up club membership figures across all clubs. Zorba and Manly's marketing has done what?
Made everything too complex for mostly everyone.
And to your last point, I am a Jane Try Season Ticket holder and go to every home game and some away matches except for Blue Tongue on a Friday night.
So don't go there buddy.

Bazeagle, Zorba is not directly involved in marketing for the club.

The NRL has worked with ALL clubs to help them promote memberships including massive spend on promoting it on TV, radio and other media.

The MWSE membership page asks a few simple questions to allow people to see which membership will suit them best

http://membership.manlyseaeagles.com.au/which-membership-for-me/

I've not seen anything in the way of feedback that it was complicated to use but obviously any feedback from other members is welcome?

The efforts of the marketing and membership team has seen the club sign up over 10,000 people which is up by more than 100% from last season so I'm thinking they are doing something right?

The "next generation" initiative has been very well received by fans who can sign kids under 9 up for free.

I wasn't having a dig when I asked about your attending the game and apologise if you thought I was - as mentioned, my system showed your post was logged close to KO which would indicate that you were not at the game and I'm always keen to get feedback from people to see what, if any, other factors the club need to understand when putting memberships or game day packages together?

By the way, CF2 re the Brisbane game - your season pass is for 10 home games this season (not 12) so no refund is required to be given

This was done in response to some members in previous seasons complaining that they were not able or didn't want to go to the 2 games played away from home so they were having to pay for something they didn't use? (From personal experience i do know that the club do actually listen to fans and take their (sensible) suggestions on board)

All good Vidmar. Mate I know you hold the club's best interest's close to your heart.
I am a "rusted on" fan to use an NRL term. So I am closer to the club in that sense and my perception that the Membership area and the packages offered are complex. Remember I am more focussed than most so if you're less committed then that perception would be way worse. Cf2 and Tinkler's plan is ultra simple. Thats the key. Make it easy for the fans. The paying customer must always come first, a complex offering is placed in the too hard basket by the fan, straight away.

Let's see if Tinkler's ultra simple plan pays the bills? The reality is that the real money in admission comes from corporate boxes and Brookvale is sadly lacing in such. So the club can't afford to cut its throat by throwing away free tickets - nor can the Knights for that matter.

Penn is not that Russian mafia baron who owns Chelski, able to throw away millions a year on a whim.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6