Arko Talks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
hmmm....I have great respect for Arko, but that wasn't the best thing to do in my opinion. Why do we have to air our laundry in public? Especially when we just had some good news, and good form on the paddock.

Tell him in private, and allow him the dignity and respect he deserves.

This is BS! I hope it isn't the calm before the storm. Toovey loves the club they will have to push him for him to go. Surely our resigning's and new signings would of asked who the coach was going to be and why would they sign with an unknown. Look at the best coaches in the game Bellamy and Des they have both had longer then 3 to 5 year tenures. MacGuire will be in his 5th next season with the Rabbits. Des will be in his 2nd 5 year tenure next year as well. Before them Bennet was the man 20 years at the Broncos and Tim Sheens had 10 decent years with the Tigers. Leave Toovey alone he is finally getting a team he can build and I have every bit of faith that it will be a premiership calibre result.

In isolation, a weird thing for Arko to say. Arko is always very considered in what he says. And 2V is a favourite son of Arko's (behind Bozo of course). So, barring some sudden cognitive decline, there must be a lot more to this - presumably that has already been pretty much decided in consultation with 2V - than we know.

Yep, as much as I dislike to admit it, that is quite a glaringly obvious error. Now is exactly the right time to get behind Tooves.

To be perfectly honest not talking about performance or anything but I've felt for a little while that Tooves was a little bit over it all and maybe the enjoyment wasn't there. When he goes on 360 he just seems a bit different. And committing to 360 every week is a bit strange for a head coach. Almost like he's setting himself up for a media gig

If they turf Toovey and replace him with Hasler I don't think I can follow Manly anymore. I know that I certainly cannot follow any other team in the NRL either.

If that happens winters are going to be just long and cold with no excitement of a league season. And to quote the Old Bard - Then it will be, "Now is the winter of my discontent."

If the club allows Toovey to run his contract and then not renew it that may be a different question.

The club employed Toovey so I suppose they have the right to terminate the contract. But I think if the clubs acts too quickly they may rip the soul out of Manly as a club in my humble opinion.:(

I still want to know what Toovey has done wrong. I've asked this before and not recived a plausible reply. I understand that people on this forum are not "insiders", so really don't expect one.
If it's just a Zorba thing, then god/allah help this team.

Hasler is not doing much better than Toovey, Hasler has had three years to create the perfect roster at the dogs. Where are they now?
I used to be a fan of Hasler. Due to the acrimonious nature of his announcement/departure, I'm not any more. Let him stay where he is!
Toovey is delivering the goods.

Last edited:
Has Arko finally lost touch with the modern game ?
It takes at least 2-3 years to build a team now to challenge for a GF win
Back in Arko's days you could buy who you like and and have that instant success but a lot harder these days .
Let Toovs build his own team cause this period now is Toov's part 2,, Part 1 was taking over a team left to him and he did get great results So now its Part 2 The team toovs builds will get results,Tthey need to give him full support and the results will follow and not eat our own

Overall it makes me feel uncomfortable and for the first time, possibly ever, it looks like a mis-step from Arko

Overall it makes me feel uncomfortable and for the first time, possibly ever, it looks like a mis-step from Arko

Seems like that to me too, and honestly if it's Barrett or Brown they're looking to bring in I don't know too many fans who will be happy.

Looking at it from another perspective. Granted it does look like a loving push, but Arko is to smart for something so obvious. The way he talks of Tooves smarts, I think he's subtly suggesting he follow in Arkos footsteps. Take the top job at Manly. Wether he has to take a junior position in management to get there so be it. He won't be there for long. He'll climb his way to the top in no time. He would be the perfect choice as CEO. We all know how intelligent he is, and this is what I'm thinking (hoping) Arko is suggesting.
His intellect may be better suited at the top. I could handle Des back, only if Tooves was running the show.

Last edited:
At least he didn't kiss him.

I don't think Tooves will be taking up any offer from Arko for a paddle out to the lake for some fishing.

I read it a few times to try and find something that didn't scream 'tap on the shoulder', but unfortunately I think we've just seen a major support for his position disappear. Shoddy to think Arko has let this slip, and even more to justify it about being 'complacent with players'.

The code is littered with successful long-term coaches. Yes, Tooves has over a decade within the club, but there is now just two players left in the squad from the time he started. Add just Ballin and Lyon, then suddenly the argument about too much familiarity looks desperate.

The bloke should be able to see out what he's started with this first genuine rebuild we've had in almost a decade. Already the signs are good but the true reflection of his success (or otherwise) is still two years away as new players shake their inconsistancy.

This is the first time I've been genuinely disappointed by Arko, and I hope it's the last.

My mother has just turned 85 and to my absolute devastation, she is not even close to having the sharp, brilliant mind she once had. Age is a real impediment and Arko has been completely uncharacteristic here.

• 🤝
Reactions: lsz
Looking at it from another perspective. Granted it does look like a loving push, but Arko is to smart for something so obvious. The way he talks of Tooves smarts, I think he's subtly suggesting he follow in Arkos footsteps. Take the top job at Manly. Wether he has to take a junior position in management to get there so be it. He won't be there for long. He'll climb his way to the top in no time. He would be the perfect choice as CEO. We all know how intelligent he is, and this is what I'm thinking (hoping) Arko is suggesting.
His intellect may be better suited at the top. I could handle Des back, only if Tooves was running the show.

Good take on the possible motives!

I only hope that if true, the offer for a path to the top was made behind closed doors, and that Toovey is on-side with this. I still cant reconcile Arko's public statement though, because he makes Toovey into a dead man walking.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4