Anthony Seibold - Manly coach. "Official"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Our defence was **** under Barrett and Seibold Hence why Seibold got the arse
My recollection was it was not publicly reported in any detail but it was implied he quit because he was unhappy his advice wasn't accepted by (...Barrett? don't know). Hard for anyone to know for sure but he went on to be given an NRL head coach role only a couple of years later so I think that supports one account more than the other.

surely Penn and his vegetables could not be that stupid ,,,,,surely ,,,,,i mean,,,,,surely
at a guess - he's agreed in principle to take over at Manly but hasn't yet sorted his exit from Eddie Jones so out of respect to his current role is denying it's a done deal. And there's probably a couple of details still to be agreed so technically he's not lying.

at a guess - he's agreed in principle to take over at Manly but hasn't yet sorted his exit from Eddie Jones so out of respect to his current role is denying it's a done deal. And there's probably a couple of details still to be agreed so technically he's not lying.
His manager also as to get the contract and sort thru the details which takes time, so in the meantime he has a job with english rugby who pays his wages.

Well you're wrong about that old mate, if you're going to talk sh1t at least get your facts straight
What facts was I wrong on? Didn't Spoonbold take the Bronco's to the spoon in 2020? It doesn't matter if he didn't finish the year off because the club was on that trajectory while he coached.

Lets not forget the pathetic effort against the dragqueens the round prior to the rainbow fiasco, the rot had already started, but it's a much better story to blame the rainbow rd.
We always put in a shiit effort against the goons. Regardless of how well the team is travelling.
We all know (well most) what the catalyst was. Deny it if it helps you sleep better.

Mate he left to take up the 1st grade coaching spot at the Bunnies, don't rewrite history to suit your agenda
Need to get your facts right eagleron

He was assistant coach at souths in 2017 not first grade coach He didn't coach souths FG until 2018 when Maguire left

Seibold was punted from Manly by Bob Fulton in 2016 after one year

Our record in 2016 was appalling with only 8 wins 16 losses and finished 13th

We leaked 563 points which was one of the worst in the league

That's not how I remember it at all. But I wasn't there.
This is more like it, I suggest (from an old Seibold thread):

I know the Seibold family very well, so I know the story behind his time here. Anthony wasn't disgraced by our set up. He was massively disappointed in the huge input/interference/overriding by one B. Fulton. Of course he was frustrated that he couldn't implement changes that he saw needed rectifying. Imagine being hired by a company that needed your expertise, and then not have that company back your decisions.

Last year at South's, he quickly identified problem areas, presented solutions to the head coach and started to make changes. This year with full control he has changed their team thinking completely. Their defensive structures and scramble defence has improved and their attack is fluent and fast. They will sweep from one wing to the other constantly searching and probing. No more sending the big blokes up the middle and hoping the kick on the last pays off.

Don't let his raspy voice and easy going nature fool you. Anthony is a very well educated, astute coach that will have a long and successful coaching career. When we signed him, I posted on here that I hoped he would bide his time here and wait for Baz's contract to finish, then take over as head coach. If a certain club immortal had played his cards right, we would most likely be reaping the rewards of Seibold's efforts ourselves right now.

Also, he didn't run out, he was told he could leave if not happy. Any bloke with integrity, ambition and self respect would have done the same.

Oh well.....

Need to get your facts right eagleron

He was assistant coach at souths in 2017 not first grade coach He didn't coach souths FG until 2018 when Maguire left

Our record in 2016 was appalling with only 8 wins 16 losses and finished 13th

We leaked 563 points which was one of the worst in the league

You're right about that mate and I apologise for simply relying on my fading memory. The fingers move faster on the keys than the mind of an old bastard and I should have given it more research before simply replying to your post. I still don't see how getting flicked by Bozo is necessarily a sign that you aren't up to the job though, perhaps Bozo and Siebold didn't see eye to eye (he wouldn't have been the first one to encounter that) a number of players and staff had been shown the door by Fulton over the years (some under the guise of being moved on by Barrett in more recent times) for various reasons and that doesn't mean they lacked talent as has been shown by Gutho and several other players currently starring at other clubs. I think Siebold has shown he's got the ability to coach and dismissing him based on the debacle that was his second season at the Broncos is quite unfair to him, it's only my opinion but I reckon he'll be desperate to face this challenge and show he can produce results. It appalls me that Manly supporters on here are suggesting that they'll deathride the club in order to highlight Siebolds alleged inability to coach, what has become of us if that's how Manly supporters are thinking?. Haslers latter years at the dogs were hardly the stuff of legend and yet there were many on here that received his return with great enthusiasm and continue to this day to support his efforts regardless of his level of success. I am more than happy to give Siebold a go, even the most ardent Hasler supporter would have to admit that our game is eons behind the leading clubs and if we're to improve, change is desperately needed. If Siebold is to be the coach and nobody on here can change that, I urge everyone to get behind him, surely results are more important than the person leading the change

You're right about that mate and I apologise for simply relying on my fading memory. The fingers move faster on the keys than the mind of an old bastard and I should have given it more research before simply replying to your post. I still don't see how getting flicked by Bozo is necessarily a sign that you aren't up to the job though, perhaps Bozo and Siebold didn't see eye to eye (he wouldn't have been the first one to encounter that) a number of players and staff had been shown the door by Fulton over the years (some under the guise of being moved on by Barrett in more recent times) for various reasons and that doesn't mean they lacked talent as has been shown by Gutho and several other players currently starring at other clubs. I think Siebold has shown he's got the ability to coach and dismissing him based on the debacle that was his second season at the Broncos is quite unfair to him, it's only my opinion but I reckon he'll be desperate to face this challenge and show he can produce results. It appalls me that Manly supporters on here are suggesting that they'll deathride the club in order to highlight Siebolds alleged inability to coach, what has become of us if that's how Manly supporters are thinking?. Haslers latter years at the dogs were hardly the stuff of legend and yet there were many on here that received his return with great enthusiasm and continue to this day to support his efforts regardless of his level of success. I am more than happy to give Siebold a go, even the most ardent Hasler supporter would have to admit that our game is eons behind the leading clubs and if we're to improve, change is desperately needed. If Siebold is to be the coach and nobody on here can change that, I urge everyone to get behind him, surely results are more important than the person leading the change

Well said Ron .. I am on record bagging Seibold .. but from the minute he puts on the Manly Polo ... the only thing I will judge him on .. is his performance as the Manly coach ..

Well said Ron .. I am on record bagging Seibold .. but from the minute he puts on the Manly Polo ... the only thing I will judge him on .. is his performance as the Manly coach ..
It’s a dog eat dog world, he’ll either succeed or fail , and if he fails he’ll be removed and the next one one will follow.

Realistically only the top 2-3 coaches are ever “ safe “.

The rest roll the dice each year.

If Penn thinks sacking Des, and bringing a flop like Seibold in, will all of a sudden make us challenge the Panthers for the premiership, he is an even bigger ****ing idiot, than I had been led to believe.
We weren’t going to challenge the panthers if things remained the same with Des anyway!

May as well try something… might even get a new #9 …. That wasn’t going to happen if Des was still there.

Just sayin’

No worries

Know the feeling about getting being an old cranky bastard

I had heard at the time that Fulton didn't think much of his defensive methods and was happy for him to move on

Happy to support Seibold but he will be crucified if he is a failure next year

For many of us if he is coach brings back unpleasant memories of Peter Sharp and Trent Barrett

Happy to be proven wrong but his last job as coach hardly inspires

Agree that Des' time as a coach was coming to an end but he was a club legend both as a player and coach, second only to bozo, and didn't deserve to be sacked the way he was

The anger is towards Penn and the way he has treated both the leagues club and football club as just another way for him to make money

That's not how I remember it at all. But I wasn't there.
This is more like it, I suggest (from an old Seibold thread):
His time as coach of the Broncos showed that perhaps Fulton was correct?

We will see how the team pans out in 2023 now that he thinks he will supposedly have full control of things

Remember the club didn't like Des having full control so I doubt that Seibold will have a lot of control either Too many people like Penn who will stick their noses in on how things should be run

Another twist of the knife from Dean Ritchie in today's "Telegraph", continuing the trend of passive-aggressive character assassination whenever Seibold's name comes up. Knowledgeable, articulate, well-educated and presents very well? That's suspicious as all hell and goes against everything rugby league stands for! The guy must be a f#@kwit…

Rabbitohs claim Anthony Seibold wasn’t transparent and ‘left a taste’ at the club​

As Anthony Seibold prepares for a new start, former club the Rabbitohs have finally spoken of the hidden drama behind his decision to quit for a Brisbane mega deal.

By Dean Ritchie

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has finally spoken of the hidden drama behind Anthony Seibold’s decision to unexpectedly quit Redfern for a mega-deal at Brisbane, claiming a lack of “transparency” left his club with a “taste in our mouth.”

“Forgiven but not forgotten,” said Solly.

Seibold’s shock choice to leave Souths after the 2018 season – with a year remaining on his contract – is just one chapter in an epic story of an inventive coach who has travelled around the world for his craft and is described by players and officials as everything from “intelligent and articulate” to “over-complicated and rigid.”

Manly, welcome to life under Seibs.

News Corp spoke to multiple players, officials and stakeholders in the game to gauge opinions on Seibold, Manly’s coach-in-waiting.

Most agreed Seibold has a remarkable football knowledge coupled with a “confusing” personality some players find difficult to understand.

BYE BYE BUNNIES

Seibold walked out on Souths for a five-year contract at Brisbane, starting in 2019. He was desperate to join the Broncos and agitated aggressively to leave.

It was an unmitigated disaster at Red Hill, with Seibold sacked less than two years into his tenure.

“Anthony won the Dally M coach of the year when he was with us so clearly he is a talented coach who can get a team to achieve. He is a very good coach,” Solly said.

“The other side of that for us was that we were very disappointed with the way in which his move to Brisbane went down. It left a taste in our mouth. His pursuit of the Broncos job was probably less than transparent.

“Our disappointment was, in giving Anthony his opportunity to be a head coach, and the success he had in the 2018 season, we would have loved at the time for him to stay long-term. As it was, Anthony made a decision that he wanted to move to Brisbane and we were disappointed he did that.”

Asked whether Souths had forgiven Seibold for his messy exit out of Redfern, Solly said: “Forgiven but not forgotten. That might be an accurate description.

“I have seen comments from Anthony saying that he wished he never left Souths and that he learnt a lot from that experience. And, if he has, I’m sure he will have some success at Manly. I think we have all recognised that and, to Anthony’s credit, he realises he has made a mistake.

“In the end, we all move forward. Wayne (Bennett) was a wonderful coach here for three years and Jason (Demetriou) has shown what he is capable of this season. We haven’t really looked back but, at the same time, it was a difficult period for the club.”

THE RIGHT MAN

Seibold will need to immediately repair a Manly playing group badly disrupted by the pride jersey fiasco.

His well-known stringent methods, according to some, may need to be pulled back to win over a cautious Sea Eagles roster.

“He was very knowledgeable, articulate, well-educated and presents very well,” said John Cartwright, who worked alongside Seibold on Manly’s coaching staff in 2016.

“His presentation to the group back then, and imparting that knowledge, was very good.

“His job at Manly back then was defensive coach and he was very professional and worked very hard.”

Cartwright, now an assistant at Brisbane, didn’t hear any negative comments about Seibold from players or officials when he arrived at the Broncos two years ago.

“I think he (implemented) a lot of different ideas and training methods when he coached at Brisbane to what the players were previously used to,” Cartwright said.

Seibold is also one of Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy’s proteges.

“Anthony spent three years down here,” Storm general manager of football Frank Ponissi said.

“One year as our under 20s coach and then two years as our development, transitional coach. He impressed everyone in those three years, the way he fitted in and connected with the players.”

TOUGH TO HANDLE

Seibold told Broncos players he was always available for a talk.

The problem was, few felt comfortable enough to engage with their coach.

One player described his coaching style as “confusing and unyielding”.

“The Broncos players generally felt him to be very rigid and set in his ways. He had meetings organised all the time. I think the playmakers felt confused over his systems,” said a well-placed source close to the Broncos.

“One player told me directly that ‘Seibs’ said his door was always open but it didn’t feel open. They struggled to connect with him as a bloke. It was information overload for some players.

“But conversely, he was very organised and tactically, he was very smart. He has a very good football brain. ‘Seibs’ certainly knows the game and understands it.”

One player agent said: “Seibs is very switched on – he’s intelligent – but he can over complicate things and make it hard on players. A lot of players these days don’t need to be overeducated on footy.”

EVERYWHERE MAN

Seibold is rugby league’s true global warrior.

Born in Rockhampton, Seibold has played and coached in a remarkable number of cities, towns and countries around the world.

There’s been Brisbane, Perpignan, Canberra, London, Ipswich, Hull, Toowoomba, Wales, Mackay, Melbourne, Manly, Souths and Newcastle. He even played a game in Estonia. By the time his daughter Isabella was 10, she had lived in four countries.

“You can have great life experiences in rugby league so when people say rugby league is just a local game, it really ****s me,” Seibold once said. “I hate it when people say rugby league is just two states and the north of England.”

THE BROOKVALE CHALLENGE

Can Seibold rebuild Manly under immense and ease the anxiety of the club’s two precious jewels – Tom and Jake Trbojevic?

Once thing is clear – he won’t have to do it alone, with a dream team of assistant coaches featuring Shane Flanagan, Jim Dymock and possibly Laurie Daley taking shape.

Former Broncos and Test player Corey Parker worked alongside Seibold at Brisbane and is backing success at Manly.

“Make no mistake, Anthony Seibold is one of the smartest minds I have come across in rugby league, so it is just how that message gets delivered and how it is picked up from the playing group,” Parker told Fox Sports.

Good article, let's the reader form their own opinion with actual sources cited. Leaves me with some level of optimism that Seibold knows what he is doing (despite previously being our defensive coach and leaking a squillion points under TBaz). Looks like communication is his biggest issue so hopefully all the lessons he went through, from the way he left souths to the Brisbane debacle have had a positive impact on him as a person and a coach.

Another twist of the knife from Dean Ritchie in today's "Telegraph", continuing the trend of passive-aggressive character assassination whenever Seibold's name comes up. Knowledgeable, articulate, well-educated and presents very well? That's suspicious as all hell and goes against everything rugby league stands for! The guy must be a f#@kwit…

Rabbitohs claim Anthony Seibold wasn’t transparent and ‘left a taste’ at the club​

As Anthony Seibold prepares for a new start, former club the Rabbitohs have finally spoken of the hidden drama behind his decision to quit for a Brisbane mega deal.

By Dean Ritchie

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has finally spoken of the hidden drama behind Anthony Seibold’s decision to unexpectedly quit Redfern for a mega-deal at Brisbane, claiming a lack of “transparency” left his club with a “taste in our mouth.”

“Forgiven but not forgotten,” said Solly.

Seibold’s shock choice to leave Souths after the 2018 season – with a year remaining on his contract – is just one chapter in an epic story of an inventive coach who has travelled around the world for his craft and is described by players and officials as everything from “intelligent and articulate” to “over-complicated and rigid.”

Manly, welcome to life under Seibs.

News Corp spoke to multiple players, officials and stakeholders in the game to gauge opinions on Seibold, Manly’s coach-in-waiting.

Most agreed Seibold has a remarkable football knowledge coupled with a “confusing” personality some players find difficult to understand.

BYE BYE BUNNIES

Seibold walked out on Souths for a five-year contract at Brisbane, starting in 2019. He was desperate to join the Broncos and agitated aggressively to leave.

It was an unmitigated disaster at Red Hill, with Seibold sacked less than two years into his tenure.

“Anthony won the Dally M coach of the year when he was with us so clearly he is a talented coach who can get a team to achieve. He is a very good coach,” Solly said.

“The other side of that for us was that we were very disappointed with the way in which his move to Brisbane went down. It left a taste in our mouth. His pursuit of the Broncos job was probably less than transparent.

“Our disappointment was, in giving Anthony his opportunity to be a head coach, and the success he had in the 2018 season, we would have loved at the time for him to stay long-term. As it was, Anthony made a decision that he wanted to move to Brisbane and we were disappointed he did that.”

Asked whether Souths had forgiven Seibold for his messy exit out of Redfern, Solly said: “Forgiven but not forgotten. That might be an accurate description.

“I have seen comments from Anthony saying that he wished he never left Souths and that he learnt a lot from that experience. And, if he has, I’m sure he will have some success at Manly. I think we have all recognised that and, to Anthony’s credit, he realises he has made a mistake.

“In the end, we all move forward. Wayne (Bennett) was a wonderful coach here for three years and Jason (Demetriou) has shown what he is capable of this season. We haven’t really looked back but, at the same time, it was a difficult period for the club.”

THE RIGHT MAN

Seibold will need to immediately repair a Manly playing group badly disrupted by the pride jersey fiasco.

His well-known stringent methods, according to some, may need to be pulled back to win over a cautious Sea Eagles roster.

“He was very knowledgeable, articulate, well-educated and presents very well,” said John Cartwright, who worked alongside Seibold on Manly’s coaching staff in 2016.

“His presentation to the group back then, and imparting that knowledge, was very good.

“His job at Manly back then was defensive coach and he was very professional and worked very hard.”

Cartwright, now an assistant at Brisbane, didn’t hear any negative comments about Seibold from players or officials when he arrived at the Broncos two years ago.

“I think he (implemented) a lot of different ideas and training methods when he coached at Brisbane to what the players were previously used to,” Cartwright said.

Seibold is also one of Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy’s proteges.

“Anthony spent three years down here,” Storm general manager of football Frank Ponissi said.

“One year as our under 20s coach and then two years as our development, transitional coach. He impressed everyone in those three years, the way he fitted in and connected with the players.”

TOUGH TO HANDLE

Seibold told Broncos players he was always available for a talk.

The problem was, few felt comfortable enough to engage with their coach.

One player described his coaching style as “confusing and unyielding”.

“The Broncos players generally felt him to be very rigid and set in his ways. He had meetings organised all the time. I think the playmakers felt confused over his systems,” said a well-placed source close to the Broncos.

“One player told me directly that ‘Seibs’ said his door was always open but it didn’t feel open. They struggled to connect with him as a bloke. It was information overload for some players.

“But conversely, he was very organised and tactically, he was very smart. He has a very good football brain. ‘Seibs’ certainly knows the game and understands it.”

One player agent said: “Seibs is very switched on – he’s intelligent – but he can over complicate things and make it hard on players. A lot of players these days don’t need to be overeducated on footy.”

EVERYWHERE MAN

Seibold is rugby league’s true global warrior.

Born in Rockhampton, Seibold has played and coached in a remarkable number of cities, towns and countries around the world.

There’s been Brisbane, Perpignan, Canberra, London, Ipswich, Hull, Toowoomba, Wales, Mackay, Melbourne, Manly, Souths and Newcastle. He even played a game in Estonia. By the time his daughter Isabella was 10, she had lived in four countries.

“You can have great life experiences in rugby league so when people say rugby league is just a local game, it really ****s me,” Seibold once said. “I hate it when people say rugby league is just two states and the north of England.”

THE BROOKVALE CHALLENGE

Can Seibold rebuild Manly under immense and ease the anxiety of the club’s two precious jewels – Tom and Jake Trbojevic?

Once thing is clear – he won’t have to do it alone, with a dream team of assistant coaches featuring Shane Flanagan, Jim Dymock and possibly Laurie Daley taking shape.

Former Broncos and Test player Corey Parker worked alongside Seibold at Brisbane and is backing success at Manly.

“Make no mistake, Anthony Seibold is one of the smartest minds I have come across in rugby league, so it is just how that message gets delivered and how it is picked up from the playing group,” Parker told Fox Sports.
Well that confirms what I always thought… Seibold is very smart…the souths players could understand him and got results .. the Brisbane players couldn’t so got poor results….that just shows that Queenslanders are not the smartest tools in the shed.
If players from Souths can understand Seibold I am sure that manly players will be able to understand Seibold.if manly players can understand Des press conferences I don’t think they will have any problems understanding Seibold.

Just sayin’
Ps apologies to @Mark from Brisbane … any reference to the words Brisbane, Queenslanders, Queensland, the Broncos, were not intended to offend any resident or holiday maker or person originating from that jurisdiction.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6