Andrew Davey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould has reportedly landed two new forwards — Franklin Pele and Andrew Davey.

Davey, who has become a first-grade regular, and Pele, who has just one NRL game under his belt for the Sharks, will make the move to Belmore according to The Daily Telegraph.

Pele, 21, weighs more than 120kg and has a cult following at Cronulla’s feeder club the Newton Jets.

According to reports the Bulldogs are hoping to get the hulking prop fit and increase his potential minutes.

Meanwhile, 30-year-old Davey, who was a late bloomer in first grade, is set to make the switch.

Davey made his NRL debut at the Eels in 2020, becoming the fourth-oldest debutant in the history of the game at 28-years old.

After making the switch to the Sea Eagles in 2021, Davey suffered a season-ending knee injury but has been strong in 2022.

I guess it was about how much upside they thought there was compared to other players

They must have thought the Ben T’s of the world have a higher ceiling than Andrew D

Not saying it is right but I can understand the thinking
Gee - that is a huge call. Ben T seriously is a long way from being a regular first grader and I am not sure he ever will be. Davey is all effort and all quality and a genuine first grader.

Gee - that is a huge call. Ben T seriously is a long way from being a regular first grader and I am not sure he ever will be. Davey is all effort and all quality and a genuine first grader.
Again not saying I agree but that would be some of the logic to it

Ben is just a few months short of being 10 years younger than Davey and has only played 17 less first grade games.

Sure if you are picking a team for next week then Davey is a clear choice but the are looking at the next few years.

For mine Tuilagi, B Trbojevic and Z Fulton all have much higher ceilings.

Fact is for me, if we kept Davey there would be no guarantee he'd be in the 17 come round 8-10 next year.

Franklin Pele is a unit! Would of looked good in maroon and white. On another note, how is it the bulldogs can continue to sign player after player without being over the cap??
Easy answer ...... people just feel sorry for them.

I'll going againt the grain here.

I like Davey, I do, good honest player and seems a good character. That said he is not a player that is going to move the needle for us.

If we could keep him for peanuts great but with Parra and the Dogs keen and obviously willing to pay more I'm ok with him going.

He will be 31 starting next season and there is nothing in his game that I can't see Ben Trbojevic or Zac Fulton offering next year.
This. I can’t understand why people get worked up over us not keeping older players around, especially in this case when they have injury history. Foran/Davey may be better than Schuster/Tuilagi right now but they also have about 10 years on them.

We aren’t winning a premiership with our current team (and not even going to make the 8) so why not invest in our juniors who clearly have some talent. The core of Tom, Jake & admittedly DCE aren’t going anywhere so why not try to build a strong team for the future (see Penrith) rather than go in and out of the 8 like we have since 2017

This. I can’t understand why people get worked up over us not keeping older players around, especially in this case when they have injury history. Foran/Davey may be better than Schuster/Tuilagi right now but they also have about 10 years on them.

We aren’t winning a premiership with our current team (and not even going to make the 8) so why not invest in our juniors who clearly have some talent. The core of Tom, Jake & admittedly DCE aren’t going anywhere so why not try to build a strong team for the future (see Penrith) rather than go in and out of the 8 like we have since 2017

Understand your point JakeyB .. bringing through the younger talent is critical .... but the downside with that philosophy is that you risk never getting there ...

There must be an attitude of "we will win the comp this year" ....

Cowboys and Bronco's have shown how quickly things can turn around in Footy .. in 1 or 2 years ... not the outdated old 5 year plan ..

Anybody at Brookie whose is not thinking we can win the Premiership NEXT year should be tarred and feathered and exiled to Parramatta ...

And ... both Foran and Davey would still be in their prime next year and would have been in my squad for at least the next 2 years ..

Understand your point JakeyB .. bringing through the younger talent is critical .... but the downside with that philosophy is that you risk never getting there ...

There must be an attitude of "we will win the comp this year" ....

Cowboys and Bronco's have shown how quickly things can turn around in Footy .. in 1 or 2 years ... not the outdated old 5 year plan ..

Anybody at Brookie whose is not thinking we can win the Premiership NEXT year should be tarred and feathered and exiled to Parramatta ...

And ... both Foran and Davey would still be in their prime next year and would have been in my squad for at least the next 2 years ..
Cowboys are an interesting example to use as a large part of their success is the young talent coming through in Nannai, Dearden, Tuilagi, HTF, Gilbert, Luki, Neame etc etc

In fact they let older SOO experienced players go like Josh Mcguire and Justin O'Neil go to free up squad sace for the youngsters.

As I said I'd have been happy to keep Davey, but I dont think the squad is at a disadvantage for not having him.

Yes let's face it - for all the hand ringing about letting Foran and Davey go, this team is about to miss the 8 (most likely) in a comp where half the comp makes the 8 and half of the bottom 8 are so legless they beat themselves. It's a poor year to miss the 8 when Knights, Titans, Warriors, Tigers are zero opposition.

Agree Foran and Davey have been amongst our better players....but we have some good youngsters let's see how they go. We've been off the pace this year and we can't just sit back and coast with that.

With Davey and Marty leaving, we really need to bolster our pack, we already struggle to get on the front foot and Kelma will only make so much of a difference. I am sure we must have enough money to sign a mid-tier forward. These are some forwards that are off contract this year that could fit (I don't think we could afford Angus but would be very nice), I would honestly take any of them.
  • Keenan Palasia
  • Jackson Topine
  • Joe Stimson
  • Royce Hunt
  • Aiden Tolman
  • Pasami Saulo
  • Jordan Mclean
  • Matt and Tom Eisenhuth
  • Billy Burns
  • Angus Chrichton
  • Matt Lodge

With Davey and Marty leaving, we really need to bolster our pack, we already struggle to get on the front foot and Kelma will only make so much of a difference. I am sure we must have enough money to sign a mid-tier forward. These are some forwards that are off contract this year that could fit (I don't think we could afford Angus but would be very nice), I would honestly take any of them.
  • Keenan Palasia
  • Jackson Topine
  • Joe Stimson
  • Royce Hunt
  • Aiden Tolman
  • Pasami Saulo
  • Jordan Mclean
  • Matt and Tom Eisenhuth
  • Billy Burns
  • Angus Chrichton
  • Matt Lodge
Like Topine and Palasia

• Keenan Palasia
  • Jackson Topine
  • Joe Stimson
  • Royce Hunt
  • Aiden Tolman
  • Pasami Saulo
  • Jordan Mclean
  • Matt and Tom Eisenhuth
  • Billy Burns
  • Angus Chrichton
  • Matt Lodge
Not much chance with any of these MB, if we could cough up the extra $'s for Davey we'd keep him. Got a feeling we're pretty stretched tbh.

100% Tragic Eagle

The whole letter to managment thing has been way overblown. I've no doubt when he last resigned he was sold on being our 5/8 then we went and picked up Foran. Fair enough, Shuster is young so cops learning for a few years. Then there is talk of Foran resigning....I think it is entirely reasonable for Shusters management to have those discussions.

The weight discussion I'll cop to an extent as he needs to work on his conditioning but injuries are a factor.

And no credit given for him giving up on a world cup, A WORLD CUP to focus on Manly.

It's a curious one in my eyes.

I'm still backing him for big things in a Manly jersey

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4