• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It strikes me that there is a certain amount of ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ dislike for Aaron Woods, and to me it seems pretty immature. OK, so he has little to no speed left, but he:
  • never gets owned in a tackle
  • never gets put on his back
  • always dominates the ruck
  • gets fast play the balls.

You can’t have four or five wrecking ball forwards in a pack - need some workhorses as well, and though he doesn’t make many metres (nor does Jake) he is big and strong, and has a whole lot of experience at winning the nasty stuff in a tackle. I’m glad he’s at our club.

You’ll be shot down in flames for this post , but I do agree with you on all counts.

Definitely no superstar ( nor is he on superstar $$$) but no where near as bad as what many make out on here.

The fact that our coaching side continues to pick him suggests to me that they see the same things.

We are fortunate to have him in the squad particularly with the injuries to our props. A pack needs balance and a pack requires a couple of quiet achievers that work hard. Woods certainly is not in the same calibre as Lodge but not many props are.

It strikes me that there is a certain amount of ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ dislike for Aaron Woods, and to me it seems pretty immature. OK, so he has little to no speed left, but he:

You can’t have four or five wrecking ball forwards in a pack - need some workhorses as well, and though he doesn’t make many metres (nor does Jake) he is big and strong, and has a whole lot of experience at winning the nasty stuff in a tackle. I’m glad he’s at our club.
Would Woods make the Premier Penrith pack or Bench ?
The answer is NO

The moral of the story
If we are going to compete for the title we need to have competitive players to be able to compete with the top packs

As far as hate goes
Manly people do not hate players
Manly People Hate Manly losing and the lowering or legendary clubs great Winning legacy

You’ll be shot down in flames for this post , but I do agree with you on all counts.

Definitely no superstar ( nor is he on superstar $$$) but no where near as bad as what many make out on here.

The fact that our coaching side continues to pick him suggests to me that they see the same things.
He wont be shot down in flames and good on him for sharing his beliefs
Which there will be feathered friends like me that disagree
We will agree to disagree and hope we all have a Happy Manly day :)

I think there’s a little more to it than a straight up and down question of hate vs value.

For instance, I can see the benefit in his signing as depth to cover an injury crisis. He came on the cheap and can play a role off the bench when injuries strike. He has experience and is a professional that prepares well for games.

However…he hasn’t always been used as depth during an injury crisis and that’s when I start questioning wtf we are doing with him…

he has been a mainstay in the pack even when our troops have been available. His performances are mediocre and he is clearly ready to retire, yet we are considering another year?!

I can cop 15 minutes off the bench when Paseka and Aloiai are out, but I can’t cop this walk up start each week business and an additional year on his deal. The weakest bench forward at pretty much all 17 clubs is a step up on Woods.

We paid for McDonalds meal deal and it's done the job......maybe some think we are getting a Top shelf Seafood Platter for McDonalds price ?
Been reasonable and plays slow but solid footy.
On his last legs, but has been nowhere near as bad as some claim.
With the salary cap and the fact 3 players take up half of it, we need a few Woods types in the squad, we can't all be Roosters and Bulldogs, with endless pockets and the worlds greatest accountants.

The fact that he "isn't costing us much" has zero relevance to him being picked each week. It should be based on merit, and based on merit I would have Keppie, Bully, Sipley & Fainu well in front of him. If you want error free footy then give Kep, Bully, Sip and Fainu the same instructions - I bet they could do it AND do it better. This is the issue here.

we can't all be Roosters and Bulldogs, with endless pockets and the worlds greatest accountants.
As soon as we have this negative no hope mentality of We cant be like the others
We have no hope of ever being like them

The only things Holding us back is our selves

We are Manly Eagles and we are capable of soaring above every one else
Like we did in our Prestigious past

It is about time we end this era of Manly Mediocrity and start soaring like Great Manly Sea eagles once more !!!
1690858314648.png

Last edited:
We paid for McDonalds meal deal and it's done the job......maybe some think we are getting a Top shelf Seafood Platter for McDonalds price ?
Been reasonable and plays slow but solid footy.
On his last legs, but has been nowhere near as bad as some claim.
With the salary cap and the fact 3 players take up half of it, we need a few Woods types in the squad, we can't all be Roosters and Bulldogs, with endless pockets and the worlds greatest accountants.
it’s not a cap management issue when it comes to his selection and allocated game time. That’s a separate squad concern. People get why he was initially signed to the club (because he was cheap and we have a salary cap) but that doesn’t necessarily mean he should/has to be picked each week and play decent minutes. In saying that, he only received 14 minutes last week and we are missing Josh A and Paseka so I can cop that.

As soon as we have this negative no hope mentality of We cant be like the others
We have no hope of ever being like them

The only things Holding us back is our selves

We are Manly Eagles and we are capable of soaring above every one else
Like we did in our Prestigious past

It is about time we end this era of Manly Mediocrity and start soaring like Great Manly Sea eagles once more !!!
View attachment 24533
Nothing negative, if you check the table will find us already soaring above both Roosters and Bulldogs.
Your the only 1 on here who doesn't seem to understand they rort the cap in an obvious way which is a bit negative and naive in it's own way Bozo.
Your a good man, but seem to often misconstrue what ppl are posting.

it’s not a cap management issue when it comes to his selection and allocated game time. That’s a separate squad concern. People get why he was initially signed to the club (because he was cheap and we have a salary cap) but that doesn’t necessarily mean he should/has to be picked each week and play decent minutes. In saying that, he only received 14 minutes last week and we are missing Josh A and Paseka so I can cop that.
It is a cap thing, as he is the bloke we got in line to fill in as part of the squad and especially with a few out, is offering value.
Would prefer Haas, but again that would also be a salary thing.
The choice of him being picked when all are available is not what I personally would pick, but the coaching staff seem to run that way, so happy to support the 17 picked each week.

Last edited:
Besides the fact that eh is old and slow and past it the main issue is that he is an Isaac Moses client and we swapped two young forwards with potential for him

We were dudded big time
Just an aside, Fifita ad Tuitavake are both 22 and appear not so close to first grade atm for a team coming 16th.

Is it possible we have overhyped them?

Im guilty as charged as I had high hopes or Tuitavake and certainly they still have time on their side, but you know what Aaron Woods did at 22? He represented NSW...played for Australia a year later.

Now this is not to compare Woods to them, but maybe, just maybe we swapped Woods for two players who wont have meaningful first grade careers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8