Aaron Woods ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I agreed with you at the start of this season but now not so much...
Foz has clearly had his best season in some time and is attacking the line and supporting Chez brilliantly I reckon...

Hell he even seems to have found a bit of leg speed again... a BIT, not a lot :giggle:
Yes to get over his missus only!
Yep clearly Foran is having a shocker of a season, and doesn't deserve his place in the side.🤔🤔🤔
No Way What GIF by Jay Sprogell
wake up, no one else has been given a chance! The Shu should be our 5/8.

Great post, factual, positive and non bias.
Don't you hate it when people like @Disco make a well balanced fact based argument centered around real life information....

Come on Mate. Just call woods a plodder on the downside and we would be crazy to sign him.... try to be like others on here and just be happy living in wonderland.....

I agree @Bandit. Great post.

The guy has only played a couple of NRL matches and then suffered a serious head injury. No wonder you haven't seen him.
He was good enough to represent the Indigenous team and I've seen him rip'n'tear at lower levels.
Unless his injury has taken its toll, or he is not showing a willingness to work -- do we actually know he is in Queensland with the team? -- then he is worth retaining. He is as big as Tent and has a lot more mongrel.
But again he's become a bit of an Urban legend as well round these parts.

A lot like Koula. He's apparently the fastest in the club and League based on a time he ran in Atheletics 2 years ago according to some on here.

On Sadler he Hasn't shown much but has possible potential. Perhaps an old head like Woods could help all our young bucks?

Saddler has to be re-signed first before that could happen.

Here is the current NRL.com list of our player's contract status:

Manly Sea Eagles​

Senior squad​

PlayerContracted seasons
Josh Aloiai202120222023
Morgan Boyle2021
Daly Cherry-Evans202120222023
Lachlan Croker202120222023
Cade Cust20212022
Andrew Davey20212022
Manase Fainu20212022
Kieran Foran20212022
Tevita Funa2021
Reuben Garrick202120222023
Jack Gosiewski2021
Morgan Harper202120222023
Sean Keppie2021202220232024
Tolutau Koula20212022
Karl Lawton20212022
Haumole Olakau'ata2021202220232024
Brad Parker202120222023
Taniela Paseka2021202220232024
Jason Saab202120222023
Joshua Schuster2021202220232024
Toafofoa Sipley202120222023
Curtis Sironen2021
Moses Suli20212022
Jorge Taufua2021
Martin Taupau20212022
Ben Trbojevic20212022
Jake Trbojevic202120222023202420252026
Tom Trbojevic202120222023202420252026
Christian Tuipulotu2021202220232024
Dylan Walker2021

Development contracts​

PlayerContracted seasons
Sione Fainu2021
Jamie Humphreys20222023
Alec Tu'itavake202120222023
Zac Saddler2021
Kaeo Weekes20212022
Wonder if Burbo will be resigned? That could be a sticky moment 😕 if we let him go?

I don't think it will happen but......

Gotta sign burbo for team harmony, can't p!ss off 2 senior leaders in the squad. Plus he has shown enough to give him more time to develop
If Ben turbo doesn’t cut the mustard to make our top 30 I don’t think Jake and Tom would be the type to kick stones. They’d understand.
He might develop into a first grader but I don’t think he’s shown that much.

For 300K on a 1 yr deal it isn't going to break the bank and could turn into a good signing with experience to pass onto our young forwards and add depth also. I know we thought Nate Miles might have become that a few years back, however Aaron has said he supported the Sea Eagles as a youngster and has wanted to play under Des (followed him to the dogs and potentially here now). Also our window is opening so there is potential to be pushing for a tilt over the next couple of yrs. So motivation factors are there to play.

He might be a plodder to some and yes doesn't bust lines like other ball runners but he makes good post contact metres and can get offloads off pretty well. Overall i am OK with this signing as i still have egg on my face from Foz joining and getting a second lease on life.

Interesting piece on post-contact metres.
Top 5 this year - AFB, Kaloamatangi, Haas, Shaun Lane, Aaron Woods.
Might play into Des's moneyball calculation?
Only current Manly players at the top are Marty (31st) and Garrick (36th)

Thing is, post-contact metres aren't that important anymore due to the increased speed of the game. During the wrestle, it was important because if you could gain post-contact metres, you were moving your side up the field, which was harder to do under those rules.

Now, with the speed of the game, it's more end to end and it's an advantage to hit the line, find your stomach and get up quickly. Coaches are actually training their players to stop fighting unnecessarily in tackles. Dragging players a few extra metres just gives the rest of the defensive line time to set themselves. Obviously, Haas is getting post contact by literally rampaging over players at speed before leaving everyone in their wake, whereas Woods post-contact metres are sluggish due to his 'plodding' and tell a misleading tale as to his effectiveness.

Thing is, post-contact metres aren't that important anymore due to the increased speed of the game. During the wrestle, it was important because if you could gain post-contact metres, you were moving your side up the field, which was harder to do under those rules.

Now, with the speed of the game, it's more end to end and it's an advantage to hit the line, find your stomach and get up quickly. Coaches are actually training their players to stop fighting unnecessarily in tackles. Dragging players a few extra metres just gives the rest of the defensive line time to set themselves. Obviously, Haas is getting post contact by literally rampaging over players at speed before leaving everyone in their wake, whereas Woods post-contact metres are sluggish due to his 'plodding' and tell a misleading tale as to his effectiveness.
good points, but in the wet it is important. If we have a wet 2022 he will make a difference.

The REASON we are being successful is because we are blooding youth, getting younger, bigger and faster (Saab, Paseka, Haumole types). That's the way the games going. Holding onto the past, and the past qualities won't work. As the commentator's have said about Woods, the games moved past his lumbering types.

The only time a plodder who carries defenders is useful is if they have a high rate of "quality" offloads in them(beyond just releasing Hail Mary's behind them)

DCE can work off the second phase and throw early wide passes taking advantage of stretched numbers instead of early wide balls that are not counting numbers and are high risk.

Post contact metres have been over-rated(to a degree) and lacking deeper analysis for almost the past decade----the good coaches knew about this a long long time ago.

A mix of play the ball speed and greater lateral ball movement generates more go forward than focusing on post contact metres or even mtrs gained per player.

Even Manly under Dessie's previous stint focused on ball movement and the edge corridors to generate go forward and less gang tackling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8