Aaron Woods ???

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
The club should only bring in new signings if they improve the squad I don't see how Woods is any better than what they have now

You could say that Woods brings experience, he's a former Origin and Test player after all. But then, as far as our forwards go, we get that exact rep experience in the forwards right now from Jake, plus there is Marty who is a Kiwi and Samoan international.

He doesn't even bring premiership winning experience. The furthest he has ever gone in the Finals was when the Sharks made the Prelim Final in 2018.

That's not to say he wouldn't be good value. But if truth be told I don't think he adds any more to the team than we already have, and if it were a long term choice I'd rather we brought on some younger players like Saddler and de Luis who will be around for a while and not just someone looking for a last decent payday.

While I do see some merit to having a prop with 225 first grade games and 33 rep games to his credit ... it would be a no from me. But then, its not my decision is it.

You could say that Woods brings experience, he's a former Origin and Test player after all. But then, as far as our forwards go, we get that exact rep experience in the forwards right now from Jake, plus there is Marty who is a Kiwi and Samoan international.

He doesn't even bring premiership winning experience. The furthest he has ever gone in the Finals was when the Sharks made the Prelim Final in 2018.

That's not to say he wouldn't be good value. But if truth be told I don't think he adds any more to the team than we already have, and if it were a long term choice I'd rather we brought on some younger players like Saddler and de Luis who will be around for a while and not just someone looking for a last decent payday.

While I do see some merit to having a prop with 225 first grade games and 33 rep games to his credit ... it would be a no from me. But then, its not my decision is it.
Exactly.
Good points

We don't need him next year @Disco. Below is the status of our current props in the thirty and also in the development squad. There is no way that Woods would come in for either Fainu or Saddler if they don't get brought through into the 30 next year. The only contentious spot could be Taupau, but he is under contract for 2022. Right now he looks like he would be very happy to remain at Manly if he can get another two years at a reduced contract rate. I seriously don't see any reason to bring him in. Fainu comes in for Boyle and Saddler for Gosiewski. That leaves Funa and Sironen as the only current players in the thirty to not be re-signed. If Funa goes he will be replaced by another back, and Sironen will be replaced by a lock/backrower. That player could represent our only "gain" for 2022, with the others coming from inside the current Manly system. Looking at the age of our current backrowers its also likely that "gain" will be a young lock or backrower poached from another teams development squad. Where does Aaron Woods fit in?

Paseka 2024

Aloiai 2023

Taupau 2022

Keppie 2024

Sipley 2023

Fainu 2021

Saddler 2021

Tu'itavake 2023

Manly (Losses) 2022 Gosiewski, Boyle, Funa, Sironen
Is there a chance they need $$ to retain Saddler and Fainu perhaps and they can’t do that without a Taupau move maybe? Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes re the other players with extensions snd upgrades as well. Maybe they plan on keeping the 4 guys listed as losses too. I personally think if we are paying Marty 800k a year it’s too much now. Especially with what we pay the origin 3. Woods is a bit of a plodder but his stats actually surprise me a bit and I think he’s a good character guy with experience. He’s never be considered a like for like replacement for Marty. If we signed him it would need to be cheap. I guess we’ll see what happens and opinions.

I would love to know how much of next year's contract for Marty is the yearly mount plus the backended amount. If the backended amount is $150k he is really on $600 to $700 not the reported $800k-$850k.
Some of our comments are based on he isn't worth $800k+ but I am sure it wasn't his doing to have a backended contract. If he goes, he may only get the $600k for a season and Manly will still be paying the agreed backend contract amount. And that is what any smart Club will be organising against us.

Remember when we lost AFB and everyone thought the sky would fall down. I've been saying for 2.5 years we should let Taupau go. It's not value for money having a prop average 140m a game on that massive coin.
Yeah he's a "leader" of sorts but again I'm not so sure, he seems more an individual than anything else. He is actually quiet on the field so that leadership idea is a bit exaggerated.
A prop rotation of Paseka, Aloiai, Keppie, Sipley and Woods is more than enough. Add in Saddler, Tuitivake and Fainu we are well covered and it allows is to retain the rest of the squad. I'm not sure letting Siro, Gosie and Boyle and Funa go will solve our tight cap squeeze.

Is there a chance they need $$ to retain Saddler and Fainu perhaps and they can’t do that without a Taupau move maybe? Who knows what else is going on behind the scenes re the other players with extensions snd upgrades as well. Maybe they plan on keeping the 4 guys listed as losses too. I personally think if we are paying Marty 800k a year it’s too much now. Especially with what we pay the origin 3. Woods is a bit of a plodder but his stats actually surprise me a bit and I think he’s a good character guy with experience. He’s never be considered a like for like replacement for Marty. If we signed him it would need to be cheap. I guess we’ll see what happens and opinions.
Exactly. We don't know the whole story. Maybe we are thinking Fainu won't be cleared and we need more money for a gun hooker. They wouldn't let Marty go without a genuine plan going forward.
It was in the media that we should chase Mitch Kenny, the back up hooker to Koroisau at Panthers. He would be a gun buy if Fainu isn't cleared.

Remember when we lost AFB and everyone thought the sky would fall down. I've been saying for 2.5 years we should let Taupau go. It's not value for money having a prop average 140m a game on that massive coin.
Yeah he's a "leader" of sorts but again I'm not so sure, he seems more an individual than anything else. He is actually quiet on the field so that leadership idea is a bit exaggerated.
A prop rotation of Paseka, Aloiai, Keppie, Sipley and Woods is more than enough. Add in Saddler, Tuitivake and Fainu we are well covered and it allows is to retain the rest of the squad. I'm not sure letting Siro, Gosie and Boyle and Funa go will solve our tight cap squeeze.
That is IF Saddler etc all step up. Huge huge if. So far Saddler has been serviceable he certainly has not hugely impacted a game and left an impression. We have absolutely no idea what coin Marty is on - speculation. He has been one of our best most weeks. We need at least pour healthy quality props at any one time. Our only props at the moment are Paseka, Aloiai, Keppie (and I see him a bit more as a Jake who is a do it all man - run/tackle just without the ball playing skills of Jake), Marty and Sipley. We only have 5 - getting rid of Taupau until one of those young players have shown they can step in is a huge huge risk. And Woods - he is just a plodder. Certainly the leadership issue off the field is massive - I think the feedback from the forwards is that off the field he shows the way - gives advice - certainly has worked a lot with Paseka and he shows what it takes to train - and be a professional. Underselling that isnt important is way way off the mark.

He certainly isn’t the 4th most influential player at the club.
DCE, Turbo, Jake... who is 4th most influential, if not Marty?
Foran is an influential player, although he seems to have been 'playing himself in' gradually on his return to the Eagles nest.
I'd be surprised if Marty is not a big presence in our squad, especially among the forwards.

The club should only bring in new signings if they improve the squad I don't see how Woods is any better than what they have now
while i don't think its fair to compare the two, when we signed ben kennedy i couldn't understand why we would buy a bloke that is always injured.
i had no prior idea of what he would bring to the club, now he is recognised as one of the most important purchases manly has made in the last 20 - 30 years.
maybe woods can offer something off field to the younger guys at the club...
or maybe not!;)

Woods is not in this latest 'Bubble'.
What makes anyone thinking he'd join Manly this season believe he'd consider entering a foreign bubble?
Remember,
Bubble, Bubble toil and trouble!

Re the Nate Myes comparisons remind who was the coach then? Not saying he was going to be a world beater but look at who was running the squad at the time

I would love to know how much of next year's contract for Marty is the yearly mount plus the backended amount. If the backended amount is $150k he is really on $600 to $700 not the reported $800k-$850k.
Some of our comments are based on he isn't worth $800k+ but I am sure it wasn't his doing to have a backended contract. If he goes, he may only get the $600k for a season and Manly will still be paying the agreed backend contract amount. And that is what any smart Club will be organising against us.
Didn't the league make backended contracts illegal?

DCE, Turbo, Jake... who is 4th most influential, if not Marty?
Foran is an influential player, although he seems to have been 'playing himself in' gradually on his return to the Eagles nest.
I'd be surprised if Marty is not a big presence in our squad, especially among the forwards.
Of course he is Paseka for one has outlined that Marty has been a massive mentor to him

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11