A great win BUT!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
does anybody actually read anyone elses posts, or just spout the same s**t ad naeuseum?

I agree Mark. We had a great opportunity to rack up a terrific F&A but took poor options most of the second half. Happy with the win, BUT. I can't see Des being pleased either. The Knights just lost it out there with a host of unforgiveable errors and deep down we could have thrown the result away with a better opposition. I'll let the young halves put that down to experience and hope they can deliver better plays another day.

ManlyBacker link said:
I agree Mark. We had a great opportunity to rack up a terrific F&A but took poor options most of the second half. Happy with the win, BUT. I can't see Des being pleased either. The Knights just lost it out there with a host of unforgiveable errors and deep down we could have thrown the result away with a better opposition. I'll let the young halves put that down to experience and hope they can deliver better plays another day.

TBH i did not expect much from us at all this year, we have young halves, an aging forward pack (a few young blokes coming though but they don't have much experience) and we started with Matai suspended, Lyon injured for a few games, Snake and Wolfman returning from injury's and Rodney out for a while.

The fact we have been able to beat the Roosters and the table topping Knights is a miracle in itself. Give them some credit.

torana355 link said:
TBH i did not expect much from us at all this year, we have young halves, an aging forward pack (a few young blokes coming though but they don't have much experience) and we started with Matai suspended, Lyon injured for a few games, Snake and Wolfman returning from injury's and Rodney out for a while.

The fact we have been able to beat the Roosters and the table topping Knights is a miracle in itself. Give them some credit.

Totally agree about everything except we could have / probably should have smacked them in the second half but didn't. That's all. I'll be happy all week no worries.

Gus on 9 said after our physical approach in the second half against the Roosters and first half today we were probably due for a bit of a letdown in the second half today.  It was scrappy but we still won comfortably.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

We also had a few of these wins in 2008. Not outstanding, but were good enough when playing at 70%.

For the record, we won both halves.

Giving them a heap of credit guys just saying we should have really smacked them in the second half, but it's all good....two wins from three games and a pretty good showing in game one as well.....did those people who said we wouldn't make the 8 want to revise their predictions?

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=torana355 link=topic=187131.msg327671#msg327671 date=1301220230]

Totally agree about everything except we could have / probably should have smacked them in the second half but didn't. That's all. I'll be happy all week no worries.
[/quote]

It would have been great to put the knights too the sword but a few bad decisions by some of our inexperienced players did not help, With Lyon back we will see some better decisions, also DCE with only get better with his option taking. I think a team like the Storm would have beat us today but that is to be expected.

Yes it was scrappy but so what, they won with at least 4 starters out. Two weeks ago if someone had said we'll beat the Knights by 14 points at Brookvale, we'd all have said "you beauty!".

A win's a win and they'll get better.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
Giving them a heap of credit guys just saying we should have really smacked them in the second half, but it's all good....two wins from three games and a pretty good showing in game one as well.....did those people who said we wouldn't make the 8 want to revise their predictions?

Sometimes it's better to have a scrappy win rather than give an opposition a thumping.  Usually after big wins teams tend to come out complacent the following week.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=187131.msg327703#msg327703 date=1301222277]

Sometimes it's better to have a scrappy win rather than give an opposition a thumping.  Usually after big wins teams tend to come out complacent the following week.
[/quote]

That is indeed a point, and because of that Des will have good reason to rev them up this week. It's all this "flying under the radar ****"...and besides we all know it was Lowies fault!!

swoop link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=187131.msg327703#msg327703 date=1301222277]

Sometimes it's better to have a scrappy win rather than give an opposition a thumping.  Usually after big wins teams tend to come out complacent the following week.
[/quote]

True, BUT. So long as we don't miss the top 4 on F&A then it probably doesn't matter. But it may. They are youngsters and maybe I was too harsh but that second half was just frustrating, expecting an easy avalanche of points that disn't happen.

Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=187131.msg327713#msg327713 date=1301222631]

[/quote]

That is indeed a point, and because of that Des will have good reason to rev them up this week. It's all this "flying under the radar s**t"...and besides we all know it was Lowies fault!!
[/quote]
Looks like Dessie has ditched the radar, when asked about when Lyon was due to return he said possibly next week. Usually he keeps it a secret and starts the smokes and mirrors stuff.

I think he's looked more relaxed and open at after match media conferences.

The main objective at this stage of the season is to get your defense right. Now consider we still have injury disruption and a lot of new kids on the block I think we are looking very good defensively. We are structured in defense,tough and we hurt in tackles just look at the Knights today, it wasn't all bad luck a lot of it was because of how hard we hit. The attack needs a lot of work but we are missing 2 international centers and are blooding a rookie halfback and a fullback who's been out for 2yrs and a winger out for 1 yr. Once we get that starting backline on the field and fit with DCE having half a season under his belt then our defense is going to allow that attack to unleash and it will be a pleasure to watch. Barring any further injuries this team is going to give the comp. a big shake.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=187131.msg327713#msg327713 date=1301222631]

[/quote]

True, BUT. So long as we don't miss the top 4 on F&A then it probably doesn't matter. But it may. They are youngsters and maybe I was too harsh but that second half was just frustrating, expecting an easy avalanche of points that disn't happen.
[/quote]

When we get our full compliment of our most experienced players in the team, then I hope we flog a few sides, but at the moment we have too many junior players and it might go to their head.

These younger plays will be in and out of 1st grade thoughout the year depending on injuries and performance.

Yep, mickqld you have hit the nail on the head. I remember the years leading to 2008 was all based around getting our defense perfected, once our defense was set the attack fell into place.

mickqld link said:
The main objective at this stage of the season is to get your defense right. Now consider we still have injury disruption and a lot of new kids on the block I think we are looking very good defensively. We are structured in defense,tough and we hurt in tackles just look at the Knights today, it wasn't all bad luck a lot of it was because of how hard we hit. The attack needs a lot of work but we are missing 2 international centers and are blooding a rookie halfback and a fullback who's been out for 2yrs and a winger out for 1 yr. Once we get that starting backline on the field and fit with DCE having half a season under his belt then our defense is going to allow that attack to unleash and it will be a pleasure to watch. Barring any further injuries this team is going to give the comp. a big shake.

Defence is the key, I think last year we had an average of over 20 points scored against us. This year it's about half that.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8