A great win BUT!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A win is a win and a win at Brookie is always great and whilst there were some great parts of todays game I feel there is a BUT.

Let's face it, the Knights lost 4 players to serious injury today, we had them on the ropes but couldn't deliver the "killer punch".

In fact after half time I thought they were pretty pedestrian allowing the Knights to score before delivering the final blow with a very good try to Wolfie.

Now before you shoot me down I am saying this because today was an opportunity to absolutely slaughter a down and out opposition, but we didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy BUT I wonder if coach Hasler will be 100% happy with that performance??

By the way great games from young Hoppa and Oldfield, jeez they are both big units aren't they!

I heard Des interviewed and said that we had a scrappy 2nd half where we tried too hard to put them away and that we weren't patient enough.
-------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy with the win as we have blooded a few young blokes who'll and will be better for it.

Second half was one of the worst to watch in recent memory. 

Even without the injuries we would have cleaned their clock today.

I was unimpressed with the halves kicking choices on the goal line in the 2nd half. Several times Wolfie and Hoppa signalled for kicks are were ignored. There were huge gaps when they signalled, that edge had been weak the whole game and there was an injured 2nd rower hiding out there. I don't understand why they persisted grubbers under the posts when there was a higher chance option on the right side.

Scrappy 2nd half was a good description.

Sure but without Lyon and Matai we did well taking down the table topping team. There is always room for improvement and last week would have taken alot out of them.

No Jamie Lyon, no Matai, no Rodney, no T-Rex. Halfback that has played only two (2) NRL games. The most inexperienced centre pairing in our club's history (that is just a guess, they might be the most inexperienced in ANY club's history for all I know).

Taking the above into account, it was a great win and there are no buts. Not pretty, not 50 points, but a great win nonetheless. Expect our team to build slowly this year. We don't need sporadic flashiness, we want consistency, discipline and toughness. If we avoid major injury catastrophes, we'll be  a lot better by year's end than we are now.

Yes mate and whilst other teams seem to be getting decimated with injury, so far so good...hope that lasts.

Had the same thought during the game but then dismissed it as an early round abheration.

The thing that confused it simply being us taking our foot off the accelerator were all the errors.

Sure we should have put 40 on them in the second half.  But with the players we had it was a fair effort.  I thought we were good to hold them to one try, especially in the first twenty when they seemed far more physical than us.  Our defense tightened, as it did at the Roosters game and we played tough.  I think DCE's little grubbers were not the best option but he'll learn.  Good win, 2 from 3 isn't bad and we certainly are blooding some talent.  Good for the future.  Gee I love the way Joe goes forward.    

Joe is having a sensational year to date, makes you wonder how Shane Rodney will get a start when he eventually returns.

they just put the cue in the rack, did enough to win and coasted home, saved petrol for when it would be needed later on.

I'm happy with the win, but the 2nd half was crap. I suspect a full strength Newcastle would have mounted a comeback.

On the flip side, let's not forget that they were in the position we put them in. We were brutal and I cannot blame the guys for putting the cue in the rack.

Remember the sign of a good team is one that does only what they have to do is win.

For what it's worth today was all about what last year was not...... about speed. Every try involved either Snake, Wolf or Hoppa or a mixture of all three. We are sweet in the backs with plenty of depth. All would be good if we could pick up a top line prop.

Fark me , what do you want....we dont have lyon nor mattai....we arent favourites and we have beaten last years runners up and an undefeated team, albeit round 3..........this was a gutsy win, we got in their face...and foran is a standout....

I honestly think they coasted to save energy for Friday night.

I don't care about the second half. Better a coasty win than a spirited loss.

Frogz, great sides can be ruthless in this position, we weren't...yeah perhaps they were saving themselves for FNF.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7