A clean out is not the answer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
A full clean out is not required but there is 4 or 5 players that need to go! We have the makings of a gun team but we are currently like a fresh haircut that forgot to trim the sides. You wouldn't go back to that barber and you wouldn't re sign these players.
LOL - we are dead-set sporting a Billy Ray Cyrus mullet at the moment...

Ryan

Journey Man
Is what you're saying @Snake , to just accept what is, because eventually it will turn around ? Based on hope ?

You don't want players sacked (well, it seems possibly Croker and/or Cust) from what you're saying. And possibly our current fullback ?

It comes down to Tom Trbojevic and a Hooker returning , and we'll be fine?

The defensive, attacking structures will improve? Our play the ball and ruck speed will improve? Our intensity, passion and culture will change? The 13 losses in 14 games will turn around?

Sounds like your relying on the old rugby league comes and goes in 'cycles' adage. You should speak to a few Titans supporters mate haha.

End of the day, none of our grumbling, complaining, being upset is going the change anything you're right. But **** me dead, we need change. There's a complete cancer of a culture through our club at present.

What ACTUALLY needs to happen, is the club needs to look at what is handcuffing our change the most and address it (that's in their control). If it's salary cap, release players. Don't care anymore which player it is. Like I said, DCE should be offered to The Broncos. Let Schuster and Foran run the team around. Let Taupau go, if he wants out. Turbo won't play long (will always be injured), let another team soak up most of their cap space with him on the sidelines.as I said, acquire Hynes. Least he'll play, and is damned good, and 1/3 the cap hit.

Next season:

01. Nicho Hynes
02. Jason Saab
03. Dylan Walker
06. Josh Schuster
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Manase Fainu
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jake Trbojevic (C)

14. Karl Lawton
15. Sean Keppie
16. Josh Aloiai
17. Andrew Davey

and build around that. Imagine the cap space we'd have to play with and the marquee players we could get.

Nathan Brown, Adam Reynolds, Daniel Tupou types should be the targets.

While I'm at it, we should get Wayne Bennett for a few years at least. He'd bring Reynolds with him, and possibly a few more.

Des doesn't seem like he has the marquee players acquisition skills like he used to with the Orford, Kite, Bell, Lyon type buys. We are now in the Lawton, Saab, Davey type, second tier buys.

Big changes, I know, but we need it.

robbiea

First Grader
Tipping Member
A full clean out is not required but there is 4 or 5 players that need to go! We have the makings of a gun team but we are currently like a fresh haircut that forgot to trim the sides. You wouldn't go back to that barber and you wouldn't re sign these players.
hairy GIF

KNUCKLES

Bencher
Which players do you think?

hozza

Bencher
To say changes are not needed is just plain ridiculous. Do we need to clean out 13 players? Of course not. But we do need to clean out at least 4-5, DCE being top of the list.

Then we need to recruit intelligently, something not done for 4-5 yrs. we need leaders, team players, guys who are going to ignite the guy next to him!

Also need to clean at least 1 if not 2 assistants. Our Defence is fuked, attack isn’t much better. Worse thing of all is our terrible attitude, no passion, no fire. Need to bring in key personnel to achieve this. To do nothing is just fuking insanity..

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I've watched enough RL to know that clean outs don't work. Neither does sacking a coach.

Trench Robinson coached his side full of stars to a 15th place finish in 2016. He has won 3 premierships. Shane Flanagan has won spoons and a premiership. Brad Arthur keeps making the finals in spite of winning a spoon with the Eels. The Dogs have gone on a signing spree and haven't fired a shot with the alleged 'attacking genius' behind Penrith's GF appearance last year. There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that a 'black and white' approach to running a club does not guarantee success, nor does it mean failure. There are too many shades of grey to simply approach things from a 'we are failing' so lets sack everyone and everything will be better tomorrow.

Blooding rookies, moving players into different positions, getting rid of stock, etc. is not going to change things. The problems we are having concern so many variables that one solution is not going to change overnight. This same squad can turn it around. Des can turn it around. This sort of thing happens in RL all the time.

Take a guy like DCE for example. He hasn't suddenly forgotten how to play RL. He captained QLD to a series win last year and played really well. The reason he is struggling and the reason our attack is faltering is because we have no 9. There is absolutely nothing for DCE or Foz to play off the back of at the moment, hence they look ordinary. We need deception around the ruck to hold up markers and generate quick play-the-balls, then you'll see DCE and Foz run into some form. Backrowers are also going to look pretty ordinary because they too require ruck speed to punch into holes off the halves on the edges. At the moment, there are no holes. The flow on effect is the errors and forced passes and desperate plays because things just aren't clicking in the middle. Then the confidence crisis kicks in and you just keep finding ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

To compound things, we have no Tom. He will be back though. If we had Manase, we'd be doing better in the middle. Maybe Lawton will help improve things around the ruck. There is hope. I've even seen Parker play well when things are going our way. He is no world beater but he can hold his own on a good day. Those good days will come again. We are just a team down on confidence and down on players in key positions and the flow on effect of that is evident in the first three weeks of our season.

Keep the faith.
A half clean out is needed of players and management who are destroying this club I love.

Yes not a full clean out but certainly some fine tuning.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Dani levi was no world beater but he had a really decent pass. How did we go in our last 14 games last year. Having no hooker is hurting us but the problem is much bigger than that

I dont think we need a complete clean out
I dont think we need to axe Des

But we need probably 4 quality acquisitions
Tough leaders
We need tom to be fit a lot
We need a back up fullback
We need DCE to consider playing his role and perform consistently or move him on if possible
We need manase to get off
We need competition for spots

Sirro, boyle , tafua, croker, and suli can go
Walker can probably stay due to some flexability
Tapau is probably expendable if we can attract 3 good forwards,
If we can offload dce we should

Strengthen the back row with 2 quality hard arsed mothers like the bunnies backrower we are linked with , nathan brown to go with oku plus a tradesman prop to go with ailoi, paseka , keppie, and the 2 youngies in saddler and fainu
A decent number 1 backup with some durability to play other positions

I agree with the original post about perserverence and faith 100% but the coaches that turned it around didnt do it with the same personal and made astute purchases over a few years to improve the roster. If we can offload DCE an d can enter next season with fainu , lawton. Tom and a decent backup, foz, cust, schuster and walkers ability to slot in at 6 , a semi decent half or adam reynolds and some resilliant forwards it would speed up the process big time

Ryan

Journey Man
Want to know something guys, and I KNOW he's a loose cannon, but I'd contact The Tigers to see if they want Suli back for BJ Leilua as a trade.

Fresh start for both players, and god knows we need some aggression, passion and anger through our squad. Just need it controlled a little.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
From that first cavalier (crazy) Marty off-load, I got the distinct impression against the Saints that the boys had decided to throw caution to the wind, rely on their vast individual instincts and skills, and just go for it in attack.
Which of course quickly resulted in zero structure, an abominable completion rate, and before we knew it we'd been put under more pressure than we could bear and it was shut the gate.
I have no idea what the answers are but I enjoy reading some of your thoughts.
Meanwhile I'll try not to get too emotionally invested in this year's results, it wouldn't be good for my health.
The players and coaches are paid good coin to sort that stuff out so I'll let them get to it and wish them well.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Want to know something guys, and I KNOW he's a loose cannon, but I'd contact The Tigers to see if they want Suli back for BJ Leilua as a trade.

Fresh start for both players, and god knows we need some aggression, passion and anger through our squad. Just need it controlled a little.
We have a pretty dumb side already.

BJ is a dumber footballer than our whole side combined.

In fact, he is the dumbest footy player I have ever seen.

Hard pass from me.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
We all know that Tommy will be a week to week chance of being out.
So why not have a young (fast) fullback fill in for him when he is out? Then go back to 20's or Blacktown or wherever.

Then when Turbo is injured again he jumps back in.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
From that first cavalier (crazy) Marty off-load, I got the distinct impression against the Saints that the boys had decided to throw caution to the wind, rely on their vast individual instincts and skills, and just go for it in attack.
Which of course quickly resulted in zero structure, an abominable completion rate, and before we knew it we'd been put under more pressure than we could bear and it was shut the gate.
I have no idea what the answers are but I enjoy reading some of your thoughts.
Meanwhile I'll try not to get too emotionally invested in this year's results, it wouldn't be good for my health.
The players and coaches are paid good coin to sort that stuff out so I'll let them get to it and wish them well.
They should give the money back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14