A clean out is not the answer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I've watched enough RL to know that clean outs don't work. Neither does sacking a coach.

Trench Robinson coached his side full of stars to a 15th place finish in 2016. He has won 3 premierships. Shane Flanagan has won spoons and a premiership. Brad Arthur keeps making the finals in spite of winning a spoon with the Eels. The Dogs have gone on a signing spree and haven't fired a shot with the alleged 'attacking genius' behind Penrith's GF appearance last year. There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that a 'black and white' approach to running a club does not guarantee success, nor does it mean failure. There are too many shades of grey to simply approach things from a 'we are failing' so lets sack everyone and everything will be better tomorrow.

Blooding rookies, moving players into different positions, getting rid of stock, etc. is not going to change things. The problems we are having concern so many variables that one solution is not going to change overnight. This same squad can turn it around. Des can turn it around. This sort of thing happens in RL all the time.

Take a guy like DCE for example. He hasn't suddenly forgotten how to play RL. He captained QLD to a series win last year and played really well. The reason he is struggling and the reason our attack is faltering is because we have no 9. There is absolutely nothing for DCE or Foz to play off the back of at the moment, hence they look ordinary. We need deception around the ruck to hold up markers and generate quick play-the-balls, then you'll see DCE and Foz run into some form. Backrowers are also going to look pretty ordinary because they too require ruck speed to punch into holes off the halves on the edges. At the moment, there are no holes. The flow on effect is the errors and forced passes and desperate plays because things just aren't clicking in the middle. Then the confidence crisis kicks in and you just keep finding ways to shoot yourself in the foot.

To compound things, we have no Tom. He will be back though. If we had Manase, we'd be doing better in the middle. Maybe Lawton will help improve things around the ruck. There is hope. I've even seen Parker play well when things are going our way. He is no world beater but he can hold his own on a good day. Those good days will come again. We are just a team down on confidence and down on players in key positions and the flow on effect of that is evident in the first three weeks of our season.

Keep the faith.

I don’t think we need a clean out but there is players that shouldn’t be there and we will need to replace them with big names. We have a lot of good players in the squad already, and a lot of young talent coming through. The base is there but there does need to be some adjustments.

How about half a clean out then. Starting with Croker,Parker, jet ski, Sirro,Garrick and Boyle . Because as the last 14 games have shown they are not the answer. Won't be winning anyt ime soon with those Muppets. Mix it up Des or you to can F@#% off.

We don't need a full clean out ,snake is 100% correct .
But Croker,Garrick,Gosiewski & Parker would not make the first grade teams at any other club.
To be half successful every team needs their spine to be above average ,ours is far from that.
We need our spine in place and first grade worthy players competing before we see any (W's)

I think we have cooked our salary cap.. for that reason I think a clean out is necessary. That and a lack of quality in certain positions. I know the below is strictly hypothetical amd estimates but letting all off contract players go along with Cherry, taupau freight free and suli even if we have to pay 250k.. the list looks alot better. Allowing 4.2mil to hit the market with my own personal guesstimates. Again hypothetical but youse get the idea with something we could end up with if we take action and chase the right targets

1.Clint Gutherson (c) 800k
2.Jason Saab
3.Billy Smith 250k
4.Tom Trbojevic
5.Blake Ferguson 350k
6.Joshua Schuster
7.Cade Cust
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Karl Lawton
10.Jake Trbojevic
11.Haumole Olakau'atu
12.Jaydn Su'a 650k
13.Nathan Brown 650k

14.Manase Fainu
15.Zac Saddler
16.Joshua Aloiai
17.Andrew Davey

18.Tolutau Koula
19.Morgan Harper
20.Christian Tuipolotu
21.Taane Milne 150k
22.Riley Jacks 300k
23.Jamie Humphreys
24.Sean Keppie
25.Mitch Rein 250k
26.Alec Tuitavake
27.Jed Cartwright 150k
28.Siosifa Talakai 200k
29.Tom Amone 150k
30.Bunty Afoa 200k

Some of what you say is true, but to blame all of our woes on Croker is a bit of a stretch. Yes he isn't the greatest hooker getting around but there are some other seriously underperforming players in this team.

I'm still trying to work out what Walkers role in our attack is ?? he is playing in the line like a second 5/8. Looks clunky to me.

Schuster managed to create a few line breaks and look a little dangerous, so our dummy half wasn't inhibiting him too badly

Yes it'd be nice to have Fainu and I have little doubt we would improve if he was our 9, but I think we should still be competing better than we are with Croker or Cust at 9. Our attack just looks clunky, disjointed and lacks execution. Too much sideways. Seems to me all our attack was spun around Turbo being there, without him we look lost for ideas.

Hearing rumours Dce had a testicle removed and this could be reason behind his lack of form
sperm. (Fixed)

Last edited:
I think we have cooked our salary cap.. for that reason I think a clean out is necessary. That and a lack of quality in certain positions. I know the below is strictly hypothetical amd estimates but letting all off contract players go along with Cherry, taupau freight free and suli even if we have to pay 250k.. the list looks alot better. Allowing 4.2mil to hit the market with my own personal guesstimates. Again hypothetical but youse get the idea with something we could end up with if we take action and chase the right targets

1.Clint Gutherson (c) 800k
2.Jason Saab
3.Billy Smith 250k
4.Tom Trbojevic
5.Blake Ferguson 350k
6.Joshua Schuster
7.Cade Cust
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Karl Lawton
10.Jake Trbojevic
11.Haumole Olakau'atu
12.Jaydn Su'a 650k
13.Nathan Brown 650k

14.Manase Fainu
15.Zac Saddler
16.Joshua Aloiai
17.Andrew Davey

18.Tolutau Koula
19.Morgan Harper
20.Christian Tuipolotu
21.Taane Milne 150k
22.Riley Jacks 300k
23.Jamie Humphreys
24.Sean Keppie
25.Mitch Rein 250k
26.Alec Tuitavake
27.Jed Cartwright 150k
28.Siosifa Talakai 200k
29.Tom Amone 150k
30.Bunty Afoa 200k
You'd have Fainu on the bench behind Lawton?

The reason he is struggling and the reason our attack is faltering is because we have no 9.
And why is this?
Fainu's trial date in July was known a long time ago. They knew he would not be available until August at the earliest and with zero match fitness. And that's if he gets off this VERY SERIOUS charge.
So they release the stop gap hooker and buy NO ONE until they buy an injured 9.
Sorry. Club is rubbish for this.

Well at this point yes.. fainu hasn't played NRL in what will be a long time when he is or if eventually cleared
Yeah I understand that; however, he will at least have a full offseason under his belt (if he gets off), so I would hope they start him and he gets a rest with Lawton. It's a big IF anyway that he gets off.

Staff online

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10