2023 ... players in trouble ..breaking

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think it was Webster who wrote that he should have fixed his nose with the money he lost gambling on pokies. A bit harsh, but kinda true.
Yeah the simpleton must have got sucked in by the billions spent by the NRL sponsors urging everyone to gamble! Haha it's all his own fault then!
Although... hmmm

If the percentage of revenue going to players is sorted then they are obviously within their rights to dedicate a portion of that revenue to ex players that require surgery. If it's a sticking point it must be down to who's pocket it comes out of.

Yeah the simpleton must have got sucked in by the billions spent by the NRL sponsors urging everyone to gamble! Haha it's all his own fault then!
Although... hmmm
It is an addiction, and I do feel some sympathy for him, he’s a character. I hope he can get the funds.

It is an addiction, and I do feel some sympathy for him, he’s a character. I hope he can get the funds.
Well if he can't get the funds its a sad NRL tale becuase he was a top player for a long time. Wouldn't be only one who's blown a fortune on the way I suppose. He's been involved in some bad news stories but I can't recall any violence or disrespecting of women (could be wrong)
Anyhow he was a great athlete and for interests sake this is what he used to look like! (2009 with Sticky)
200px-Blake_Ferguson_2009.jpg

If the percentage of revenue going to players is sorted then they are obviously within their rights to dedicate a portion of that revenue to ex players that require surgery. If it's a sticking point it must be down to who's pocket it comes out of.
We may have some employment lawyers here who can clarify but at a guess, if you are hurt in the course of your employment the treatment costs are covered. Either by workers comp or you may have a civil claim through the court system? Either way it doesn't come out of your wage (although I stand to be corrected)

The other thing of course is that for some injuries it makes little sense to have surgery while your footy career is ongoing, given the likelihood you'll just have to go through it all again next time your nose is busted, which is almost inevitable!

who puts the money in is a no brainer ... there is only one income stream and that is the NRL ... I think you will find that the NRL has put aside 10's of millions and are happy to fund it as part of the bargaining agreement ... it is who has the cheque book that is the issue ...

Well if he can't get the funds its a sad NRL tale becuase he was a top player for a long time. Wouldn't be only one who's blown a fortune on the way I suppose. He's been involved in some bad news stories but I can't recall any violence or disrespecting of women (could be wrong)
Anyhow he was a great athlete and for interests sake this is what he used to look like! (2009 with Sticky)
200px-Blake_Ferguson_2009.jpg
Can’t recall any violence or disrespecting of women??Where have you been the last 10 yrs?This may change your mind on Ferguson’s plight

who puts the money in is a no brainer ... there is only one income stream and that is the NRL ... I think you will find that the NRL has put aside 10's of millions and are happy to fund it as part of the bargaining agreement ... it is who has the cheque book that is the issue ...
Maybe true. I wouldn’t have a clue. Maybe you trust the likes of Hooper and Co to report accurately but I note the RLPA site has no detail on this so I suppose it is part of confidential ongoing negotiation.

But having closely observed the NRL administering things such as the draw and the salary cap for years, I ask you… would you trust them to fairly determine whether or not you get paid for your corrective surgery?

For all I know the players are seeking that goes through some independent process.

Maybe true. I wouldn’t have a clue. Maybe you trust the likes of Hooper and Co to report accurately but I note the RLPA site has no detail on this so I suppose it is part of confidential ongoing negotiation.

But having closely observed the NRL administering things such as the draw and the salary cap for years, I ask you… would you trust them to fairly determine whether or not you get paid for your corrective surgery?

For all I know the players are seeking that goes through some independent process.

What are you on about ... why have you posted this to me ?

If all the players decided to hire someone to run their own comp the total revenue would drop but their individual income wouldn't drop nearly as much.

The players are negotiating for a certain sized piece of the pie. If they want to share their pie with past players to cover post career surgery then there is no argument. If they want someone else to give up their pie then they are effectively asking for a bigger slice of pie.

You can't have your pie and eat your cake too.

Bottom line for me on this discussion - I'll generally side with players vs NRL. Versus women/random public, I'll generally sympathise the other way.
Are some NRL players tools? Yeah. Does rugby league culture in some ways encourage toolishness. Yeah.
But for the sheer entertainment value of their on-field exploits I'm grateful. (and for the record, even for third grade wingers!) I'd followed footy since childhood but have really found it a great diversion in recent years since losing my best friend/wife very prematurely through circumstances.
So - for putting their bodies on the line to entertain me, they have my admiration and support. Against player agents, and footy club and NRL executives and bureaucrats.
Doesn't mean I don't think they are often tools.
But I'll support a tool depending the issue and who they are up against. I've probably been a tool myself on some (hopefully long-forgotten) occasion(s)

Does Ferguson deserve to be paid by the NRL for a nose reconstruction, yeah probably, as his ugly snoz was definitely due to playing NRL. Do Stevie Mortimer and Ray Price et al, deserve to have their medical expenses covered by the NRL for injuries that have caused long term health problems as well?

I have never seen a contract for any player, albeit I am friends with a major player manager. I have never asked him the question, however, I’d assume the contract would state that the contract would be acknowledged and paid in full if the player is injured and cannot fulfil his/her obligation. However, I doubt it covers future health issues as a result of engaging their employment.

In reality, Fergo didn’t fix his nose for the same reason I didn’t with my nose when I was playing rugby. What’s the point? One bump and it’s stuffed again, and that’s what the ENT told me, and he continued to play.

Does Ferguson deserve to be paid by the NRL for a nose reconstruction, yeah probably, as his ugly snoz was definitely due to playing NRL. Do Stevie Mortimer and Ray Price et al, deserve to have their medical expenses covered by the NRL for injuries that have caused long term health problems as well?

I have never seen a contract for any player, albeit I am friends with a major player manager. I have never asked him the question, however, I’d assume the contract would state that the contract would be acknowledged and paid in full if the player is injured and cannot fulfil his/her obligation. However, I doubt it covers future health issues as a result of engaging their employment.

In reality, Fergo didn’t fix his nose for the same reason I didn’t with my nose when I was playing rugby. What’s the point? One bump and it’s stuffed again, and that’s what the ENT told me, and he continued to play.

Whatever the legal case ... you can guarantee that there is a time clause .... no lawyer ... (even one with just a corn flake packet degree) ... would ever write a contract that was open ended ... it is intellectual kryptonite to them ...

Whether that is one year from retirement, as is reportedly the case now, or 5 years .. whether it is from diagnosis and lodgement of claim, or commencement of treatment or finalisation of treatment ... a time clause will be in there.

12 months or GFYS is insufficient. Lifetime medical coverage for playing 1 game is over the top. There needs to be a system that tracks injuries that can be directly linked to playing and cover any associated treatments.

NRL decision on Molo:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4