Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2021 squad

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Reaction score
Yeah but only due to injuries, so that doesn't really count. None of our kids will ever get a proper chance under Des (or so I've heard, repeatedly!)

I like Des and I'm glad he's at Manly, but gee he frustrates me is some areas. But perhaps its just an old man getting grizzly. However we go...again

That's the good point you make there SER8.

As you say players are being promoted because of injury, not because the existing player in a position is not performing as well as those untried players may be able to perform.

Surely its logical the sooner younger players get a taste of first grade, the sooner their skill level improves. Its like the argument made by several of these TV panels (not that I watch much and often their comments are laughable). But one comment made stood out about Manly allowing Turbo to play rep games. Their point was unanimously agreed upon by the panel. Player promoted to SOO come back better to grade because of the experience of that higher level of competition.

Des doesn't seem to think that way, and maybe is too protective of his brood...or is it something else? He's obviously a good coach, but he does he have a blind spot with bringing young players up 'because they deserve promotion over another player, not because of injury'.

The risk surely has to be made some time and waiting for an injury to me seems inflexible and gridlocked thinking. Is it fear of failure or maybe being too loyal to those he has already there? I would have thought the sooner these young players get a taste of first grade, even if only for a couple of game, the quicker they develop. Cleary has shown this at Penrith in bucket loads. Am I reading this poorly?

These kids' sole reason for playing at this level is to get a chance to play first grade. If they cant play it at Manly, they will go elsewhere as has happened with a couple of good talent that left between 2015-20.

Mind you at present Des has a little breathing space because of recent performances, thanks to Turbo's return. But Manly's success is also partly the result of players brought in through injury such as Harper, Saab, Oli and Schuster. Turbo's return also helped him overlook the deficiencies that should surely be addressed now, not after injury.

But perhaps I'm just being a grizzly old bear with unrealistic expectations. I'll hibernate again now.

Last edited:

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
It's always a balancing act. Players actually get better with experience, not to mention developing physically. Look at any rep side, or Dally M list or Drunk rothfield list of the game's best players. Only ever one or two novices in those lists, the rest are seasoned established players.

The other point is teamwork. That requires minimal changes. The fact that injuries are a given in NRL means the inexperienced players are always in line to get that 'taste of first grade' you mention. Toss in too many youngsters and doesn't go well.

Anyway I hope all our youngsters prosper, but the absence of Marty, Aloiai, Siro, Davey and yes, Boyle and Jestki won't make it easy for them.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Poor judgement putting Ben Turbo in the squad. He's been going like a busted in 2nds and now been dropped back to Flegg. Only getting named in the 21 because the well has run dry.

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Poor judgement putting Ben Turbo in the squad. He's been going like a busted in 2nds and now been dropped back to Flegg. Only getting named in the 21 because the well has run dry.
I do not always agree with Des but sometimes it is not about poor judgement as you never know how a player will really go unless you put faith in them and give them an opportunity

Some players take the opportunity and make the most of it and others dont

IMO Ben is not Turbo charged like Tom and Jake

The Who

First Grader
Premium Member
Reaction score
The following is from the SMH about Hodgson, somehow linking us to an interest in him. I can't believe that.
The rise of back-up hooker Starling is believed to be a sensitive topic. He led Canberra to 11 wins from 14 games when Hodgson was injured last year. It’s the reason there is now conjecture over whether Hodgson will see out the final year of his $800,000 contract.
The Broncos have held internal discussions about luring him north of the border, and Manly and Canterbury would also be expected to join the conversation should he be looking for a new home.

BOZO

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
The following is from the SMH about Hodgson, somehow linking us to an interest in him. I can't believe that.
The rise of back-up hooker Starling is believed to be a sensitive topic. He led Canberra to 11 wins from 14 games when Hodgson was injured last year. It’s the reason there is now conjecture over whether Hodgson will see out the final year of his $800,000 contract.
The Broncos have held internal discussions about luring him north of the border, and Manly and Canterbury would also be expected to join the conversation should he be looking for a new home.
When your future is not clear everything is an option

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Well if Fainu case goes badly then we will be scrambling for quality topline #9.

Shoe1

First Grader
Reaction score
How about some alternates:

Tim and Jack Trbojevic
Craig Cust
Davey Cherry Evans
Kevin Foran
Martin Boyle
Lincoln Croker
Brett Parker
Jeff Schuster

Shoe1

First Grader
Reaction score
Darren Walker and Daniel Paseka could get a look in too.

Rafferty

Reserve Grader
Reaction score
Speculation I’d say, or perhaps they have seen our 9 play and just stated the obvious

Rosko

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Reaction score
Good to see Saddler on the bench. Des has made a change.
Forced. The cupboard is bare.
I hope Saddler lives up to the promise of last year. But playing for a weak Blacktown side with poor coaching is not developing anyone (sorry Matty, I love you but...)

Shoe1

First Grader
Reaction score
Not sure about Trevor Funa, looks better with game time.

Staff online

Latest posts

2021 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 9 9 0 0 200 18
2 Eels 9 8 0 1 136 16
3 Storm 9 7 0 2 184 14
4 Rabbitohs 9 7 0 2 61 14
5 Roosters 9 6 0 3 123 12
6 Dragons 9 5 0 4 24 10
7 Titans 9 4 0 5 -1 8
8 Warriors 9 4 0 5 -27 8