2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
Danny Levi opens up on Newcastle Knights exit ahead of Manly arrival
Michael Carayannis, The Daily Telegraph
January 21, 2020 4:26pm

Danny Levi is adamant he is one of the best hookers in the game as he looks to salvage his career with a fresh start at the Sea Eagles.
Levi will report to Manly training on Wednesday putting behind him 18 months of turmoil and uncertainty after the ex-Kiwis hooker spectacularly fell out of favour at Newcastle. The Knights released him from the final year of his deal to link with the Sea Eagles for 2020 in a massive boost to Manly’s depleted hooking stocks.

“Not to be cocky but I’ve always thought I was better than a lot of the hookers in the NRL but I thought I was never given a fair chance to show it,” Levi said. “This fresh start will give me a chance.

“I’m playing for a contract. Whether it’s at Manly or somewhere else. I want to do the best for the team. They’ve got a really good team and are premiership contenders. For me to try and get into that team will be awesome.”

Levi will also meet coach Des Hasler for the first time on Wednesday. He will be walk-up start for the Sea Eagles who were struggling at hooker. First-choice rake Manase Fainu has been stood down by the NRL pending his court case and he is also battling to be fit to play this year because of a serious shoulder injury.

The Sea Eagles were considering stopgaps Lachlan Croker or Cade Cust before reaching out to Levi earlier this month. Levi, 24, played four Tests for the Kiwis in 2017 before falling foul with former Knights coach Nathan Brown.

“It was hard at times,” Levi said. “I always thought I did enough to deserve to be in first grade. I can’t control certain things. It does take its toll but it’s part of rugby league.

“There were some really challenging times when I thought I was doing enough to play first grade and then all of a sudden I was dropped.

“My partner and my mates were always there around and told me to keep my head up. I always believed I was good enough. That was the main thing. I’m just happy to get a whole fresh start and get to prove any doubters wrong.

“It’s been a rollercoaster year. I thought I was able to handle it pretty well. I’m just excited for a fresh start and to play under one of the best coaches in Des Hasler.”

Des Hasler has a knack for bringing the best out of his players. Photo: Peter Lorimer.

s like there is no hope. I had to stay fit.

“I hold no grudges towards (Knights coach) Adam (O’Brien). He is a very good coach. He had to focus on the players that were going to be there for him. You’re training out of position and put wherever you’re needed. When you’re on the outer and they know it you get put in as a fill-in. That’s not their fault. They have to focus on their team. I was playing everywhere – centre, halves, wing.

“The good thing now I’ve got a team to go and they want me to play hooker. It’s a fresh start and I’m looking forward to getting back to where I was.”

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph
Well those quotes are Good enough for me - YART awaiting peeps

Danny Levi is adamant he is one of the best hookers in the game as he looks to salvage his career with a fresh start at the Sea Eagles.
Levi will report to Manly training on Wednesday putting behind him 18 months of turmoil and uncertainty after the ex-Kiwis hooker spectacularly fell out of favour at Newcastle. The Knights released him from the final year of his deal to link with the Sea Eagles for 2020 in a massive boost to Manly’s depleted hooking stocks.

'Reporting to Manly training on Wednesday' and will meet Des for the first time sounds like its a done deal, finally :D

Thanks heaps @HappilyManly, awesome news!

I liked him in the Kumuls at the end of the year.

Now he sounds like someone with a point to prove :rock:

Dani may also ease Eddie's stay with Manly as well as they played together before :nod:

I just like he has been training every where, centre, halves on the wing. That little one time at training is so often the difference.

“Not to be cocky but I’ve always thought I was better than a lot of the hookers in the NRL but I thought I was never given a fair chance to show it,” Levi said. “This fresh start will give me a chance.

“I’m playing for a contract. Whether it’s at Manly or somewhere else. I want to do the best for the team. They’ve got a really good team and are premiership contenders. For me to try and get into that team will be awesome.”

Levi will also meet coach Des Hasler for the first time on Wednesday. He will be walk-up start for the Sea Eagles who were struggling at hooker. First-choice rake Manase Fainu has been stood down by the NRL pending his court case and he is also battling to be fit to play this year because of a serious shoulder injury.

The Sea Eagles were considering stopgaps Lachlan Croker or Cade Cust before reaching out to Levi earlier this month. Levi, 24, played four Tests for the Kiwis in 2017 before falling foul with former Knights coach Nathan Brown.

“It was hard at times,” Levi said. “I always thought I did enough to deserve to be in first grade. I can’t control certain things. It does take its toll but it’s part of rugby league.

“There were some really challenging times when I thought I was doing enough to play first grade and then all of a sudden I was dropped.

“My partner and my mates were always there around and told me to keep my head up. I always believed I was good enough. That was the main thing. I’m just happy to get a whole fresh start and get to prove any doubters wrong.

“It’s been a rollercoaster year. I thought I was able to handle it pretty well. I’m just excited for a fresh start and to play under one of the best coaches in Des Hasler.”

Des Hasler has a knack for bringing the best out of his players. Photo: Peter Lorimer.

s like there is no hope. I had to stay fit.

“I hold no grudges towards (Knights coach) Adam (O’Brien). He is a very good coach. He had to focus on the players that were going to be there for him. You’re training out of position and put wherever you’re needed. When you’re on the outer and they know it you get put in as a fill-in. That’s not their fault. They have to focus on their team. I was playing everywhere – centre, halves, wing.

“The good thing now I’ve got a team to go and they want me to play hooker. It’s a fresh start and I’m looking forward to getting back to where I was.”

Happy days. I got a good feeling about this fella. Seems to exude toughness in attitude. He and Des will get on well.

I'm excited. I have a feeling this will be another instance of a club letting go a great player simply because he wasn't "fitting in", only for Des to work his magic.

When it became clear Fainu wasn't going to be playing at all this season I had us written off, but if Levi hits even 80% of his potential I think we could win the whole comp this year!

'Reporting to Manly training on Wednesday' and will meet Des for the first time sounds like its a done deal, finally :D

Thanks heaps @HappilyManly, awesome news!
I must say that that statement that he will meet Des for the first time on Wednesday seems really strange to me.

He playing in a key position and he has not had a face to face interview with Des before signing? Wow! If I were a head coach I would want to interview the players that were playing under me, before they are signed.

Also if I was a player I would want to meet the head coach to see what the leaders vision for me is and whether I get along with him or not!

Anyway..... just sayin

I must say that that statement that he will meet Des for the first time on Wednesday seems really strange to me.

He playing in a key position and he has not had a face to face interview with Des before signing? Wow! If I were a head coach I would want to interview the players that were playing under me, before they are signed.

Also if I was a player I would want to meet the head coach to see what the leaders vision for me is and whether I get along with him or not!

Anyway..... just sayin
I reckon Des sent Donny to put him through some Don-esque drills. Looks like he passed.

Anyway..... just sayin
Doesn't mean they haven't spoken on the phone ;)

Anyway..... just sayin
I think you'll find it is fairly common. Most negotiations are handled by player managers and you'd be surprised by the % of players who have never met their new coach before. Levi seems hungry to prove he is one of the best 9s in the game and I tend to believe he can and will be.

I think you'll find it is fairly common. Most negotiations are handled by player managers and you'd be surprised by the % of players who have never met their new coach before. Levi seems hungry to prove he is one of the best 9s in the game and I tend to believe he can and will be.
I am pretty sure Des would have done his due diligence. If Des didn’t meet him formally then I reckon Crusher, Cartwright, John Bonsara etc certainly would have met/interviewed Levi

Des’s input would have been to agree to pursue , look at numbers and agree to terms for negotiators to speak too with the young bloke and then introduce himself after the deal is done

being the third man that is talked about but not being there can be a powerful negotiating tool

Des would only get involved if it became prickly and he needed personal intervention or situations where the candidate was borderline behaviourally and he needed to set clear expectations

eg
I am sure Des will meet with Fainu face to face and provide some new clear expectations personally that will not involve player agents

Young Mr Levi has a very good opportunity in front of him and I hope he grabs with both hands

Go Manly

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4