2017 Team Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There are no big names forwards that remain off contract for 2017, so I think a Taupau job is the only way the club will get a big signing.

Here is one thought, Paul Vaughan seems to be on the outer / surplus down in Canberra. Would make a really good signing to boost our stock at Prop. Still young (25yrs old) and I rate him very highly.

I'd suggest the Thoroughbreds must have found another 2 million somewhere.

Donkeys get who they want, the Salary Cap is irrelevant when you have unlimited TPA's.

It's time for the NRL to limit the zero a maximum amount per side , otherwise why bother with a cap at all!

Exactly. TPA's should be capped as well otherwise teams like Brisbane will always be able to offer players more money without it actually putting them over the cap.

You know, I don't think the Broncos would be over the NRL's salary cap, or if they are they aren't doing it by much. The players, even the Thaiday's, Boyd's, Parker's etc would be all paid the minimum amount the league values them at. The problem would be that the TPA's alone from Thoroughbreds would probably be as much as the cap which would essentially give them twice as much as anyone else to play with.

How can any club compete with that? Sydney clubs would be no chance, Townsville, Canberra and Newcastle aren't big or rich enough despite being the only teams in town. Melbourne would have to fight AFL clubs for sponsorship dollars and that is no easy task in a city where Aussie rules is more popular than than the Playmate of the Month, while the Warriors have to contend with union and the Blues taking a fair whack of the money on offer.

Is it any wonder why the Broncos constantly fight against the establishment of a second team in Brisbane?

There are no big names forwards that remain off contract for 2017, so I think a Taupau job is the only way the club will get a big signing.

Here is one thought, Paul Vaughan seems to be on the outer / surplus down in Canberra. Would make a really good signing to boost our stock at Prop. Still young (25yrs old) and I rate him very highly.
Paul Vaughan would be a decent signing. Manu Manu has yet to be resigned

Exactly. TPA's should be capped as well otherwise teams like Brisbane will always be able to offer players more money without it actually putting them over the cap.

TPA's don't need to be capped, they need to be scrapped in their current form.

If a player can earn say $1m per year with Adidas, then the agent/player manager can sort it between the player and the brand/company.

If a player then moves from club to club the agreement isn't affected.

Then simply publish all player salaries as per US sports, make the rosters available for all fans to see so that there's no more of this "oh they must be cheating" cr@p going on.

It's such an EASY FIX but the NRL doesn't want to do it. They truly don't want you to see how much the Donkeys/Dogs/Rorters are really paying their players.

Thank god thats over. Gillett was never leaving the bronks.
Get a decent front rower, 5/8, centre and look out 2017.
hope I'm not saying coach next year, time will tell.

TPA's don't need to be capped, they need to be scrapped in their current form.

If a player can earn say $1m per year with Adidas, then the agent/player manager can sort it between the player and the brand/company.

If a player then moves from club to club the agreement isn't affected.

Then simply publish all player salaries as per US sports, make the rosters available for all fans to see so that there's no more of this "oh they must be cheating" cr@p going on.

It's such an EASY FIX but the NRL doesn't want to do it. They truly don't want you to see how much the Donkeys/Dogs/Rorters are really paying their players.

add Storm

Paul Vaughan and Manu Mau it is... Let's bring them over, both could fit inside the contract we were offering Gillett and may just be better then him if they keep going the way they are, Mau in particular.

Sam Moa could be another target and I think T-rex, despite his terrible form over the years would be good should we miss out on any of the players listed above, he will be much better playing a normal style of football. The Bulldogs game plan makes their forwards look like backs playing up the middle, they are not halfbacks and having Williams play like a normal second row could work wonders for both him and us, bit risky though but then again if he isn't with the Bulldogs then he'll just have to run straight and hard...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gullet wouldn't have made much of a difference to manly tbh. We didn't lose many games due to lack of go forward. A defence leader, 5/8, hooker, centres and wingers are the problem.

Hooker and centres aren't the problem. Parcell, Walker and Matai are top class. If Matai is moved on I say we will be looking at Roberts

It's such an EASY FIX but the NRL doesn't want to do it.
1) Just like all the other 'EASY FIXES' the NRL doesn't want to fix, it's quite a long list I suspect, examples being crooked draw, forward passes not subject to video referee....mmm maybe it's worth a thread on EASY FIXES (that won't get done).
2) The NRL's own site http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx
states as the #1 reason for the Salary Cap is "It assists in "spreading the playing talent" so that a few better resourced clubs cannot simply out-bid other clubs for all of the best players." By this definition the current Salary cap is a failure as it does not address accessability of TPA's.....

Been saying this for a few months but I'm confident we'll pick up a few unexpected good signings over the off season - probably players who are currently on contract to other clubs for 2017.
If your expecting the unexpected then you must expect something to happen, you must have a rumour or two to share?:devil:

Yep he's in the plans as well!!

And they'll also re-sign Milford / Hunt on 1.8 Million a year each for the next 6 years!!

When the Thoroughbreds are on fire they certainly are on fire !!
Can't we put a consortium together like the thoroughbreds..... maybe the spatchcocks.... or the thoroughgoods in honour of the great man, Gary not George.
There's not much on offer next year anyway.
Get some young blokes and load up the cash for 18.
Most importantly lock up the Tbros.

My two bobs worth:
Who we have
Backs
- likely/possible starting line up;
Tom Trbojevic
Jono Wright
Steve Matai
D Walker
J Tafua
B Green
DCE

Backup backs in no specific order
Api
C Cullen
B Parker
Tom Wright
M Wright
B Williame

Forwards
D Lussick
M Parcell
AFB
M Tapau
J Buhrer
J Trbojevic

Backup forwards in no specific order
S Lane
Brenton Lawrence
L Brown
J Hopoate
B Bainbridge
N Myles
W Meehan
F Winterstein

its coming together .... personally I would like to see one or two solid, no nonsense, experienced go-forwards, signed for one or two years and not paying overs for them i.e. Sam Tagatese, Manu Mau types
and similarly another solid back that is fast can catch and cover for fullback i.e. p Hiku .... if fit and has a more killer attitude than when he was a Seaeagle .... many times I thought he was way to casual ... a bit like Jorge.

okay you can tear me apart now

The Donks are very professionally run, they wouldn't be over the cap at all, if the cap is 5.8 Million they'd be sitting at 5.6 million.

The trouble is they'd have that much again from the Thoroughbreds , so in reality teams playing with only a 5.8 Million cap are probably playing the 11 million dollar Donkeys.

I kid you not, almost every player is endorsing something up here on radio / TV / Billboards, and ( not that I get these any more but when I was in business I did ) there's heaps of functions where players are special guests and invitations float all through the business world , and another example is the Golf company promoting its wares offering to " play a round with a Broncos player".

They are here, there and everywhere!!

Just imagine if Manly was the only side in Sydney, 50-60 k members, unlimited TPA's, easy days.

The NRL have a very very one sided arrangement up here and the Donks will fight tooth and nail to never have another side here to change any of that.

It's why @COMMANDER and I will be cheering for a Boys win this weekend, we hate the pricks !!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4