2017 State of Origin #1 - NSW Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Surely this is pearces last chance.. Guy has proven time and time again that hes not origin standard... Happy that jake gets his shot, but no idea why vaughan isnt in the team, best prop nsw has by a fair margin in 2017...

I think qld will get the job done, their 6-1 absolutely kills nsw going off 2017 form..
"Surely this is Pearce's last chance"

Is that a quote from 2012?

The forwards are pretty close but what's going on in the backs? Would have been a good team in 2014 (except even then Hayne shouldn't have been in the centres), but in 2017 that's an awful backline.

As much as I don't want Dugan and Ferguson there, they do perform in rep games, and are both on the Aus team.

Jayne has been terrible in the centres I'm so surprised he isn't on the wing. Jayne, Dugan, Walker, Fergo would have been better I reckon. Or the Morris centre is always solid. It's acceptable so I will watch the first game this time round though ... Im death riding Pearce though ... if he fks up one more time I'll be calling for his and Daley's head.

Jayne has been terrible in the centres I'm so surprised he isn't on the wing. Jayne, Dugan, Walker, Fergo would have been better I reckon. Or the Morris centre is always solid. It's acceptable so I will watch the first game this time round though ... Im death riding Pearce though ... if he fks up one more time I'll be calling for his and Daley's head.
The Morris boys are good footballers. They fell victim to six years of 'let's just pick a nsw team that can tackle and maybe we will beat QLD that way' selections. Let's not forget Kurt Gidley was NSW fullback and captain for a long period of this horrendous stretch. Brett White was seen as an enforcer, Ryan Hoffman a soperstar, Greg Bird a creative genius... it's been a sad sad run of ridiculous and incredibly stale selections.

The Morris boys are good footballers. They fell victim to six years of 'let's just pick a nsw team that can tackle and maybe we will beat QLD that way' selections. Let's not forget Kurt Gidley was NSW fullback and captain for a long period of this horrendous stretch. Brett White was seen as an enforcer, Ryan Hoffman a soperstar, Greg Bird a creative genius... it's been a sad sad run of ridiculous and incredibly stale selections.

Mate you are so right! I'm just hoping NSW can find some spirit. The famous QLD chip on the shoulder has spurred them on for years. If we can find 17 players who play with spirit and conviction we are in with a shot!!!

Brett Morris? Didnt realise the Blues were so short on wingers. This guy is past his best. Walker should have been in centres with Hayne on the wing

Walker should have been in the centres with Hayne at fullback (Tedesco is a defensive myth IMO) and Addo-Car or James Roberts on the wing.

I said in the Qld Team thread that with the team they named, NSW might have a chance depending on Daley. Well, IMO Daley has stuffed up.....again. Forwards are ok, but the backline is......FMD lol

The only saving grace is that the Qld team have pulled a couple of dubious selections as well. Even with Thurston included, that Maroons side just doesn't have the same unbeatable feel it did when Inglis, Slater and Hodges were the backline stars. We might win with the side Daley has gone with. But we would have been a much bigger chance if he picked the team he should have.

Don't know how they could pick Woods. He has never shown anything at Origin level and has always been dominated. It would have been far better to have picked Paulo or Boyd.

Walker should have been in the centres with Hayne at fullback (Tedesco is a defensive myth IMO) and Addo-Car or James Roberts on the wing.

I said in the Qld Team thread that with the team they named, NSW might have a chance depending on Daley. Well, IMO Daley has stuffed up.....again. Forwards are ok, but the backline is......FMD lol
Yep how good would it be to give Addo-Carr a go. He has been playing great this year.

I would have gone:
  1. Tedesco
  2. Morris (Given injuries, although I do like Nofoaluma)
  3. Walker
  4. Bird
  5. Hayne
  6. Maloney
  7. Pearce
  8. Fafita
  9. Peats
  10. Woods
  11. Cordner
  12. Graham
  13. Jake T
------------
14. B Austin
15. Frizell
16. Vaughan
17. Klemmer *(would be happy with James or Paulo also)

Last edited:
A lot resting on the shoulders of Pearce and Maloney. There's isn't much help with direction or attacking structure outside of those two. Sure Teddy, Dugan and Hayne (if he can be bothered) have the ability to produce some individual brilliance, but that's not what will win it for us unless we stay in the contest for 80. Origin is generally won by the side that can control the ball the best and win the battle in the middle.

I have a funny feeling that Pearce will finally step up this year but whether he has enough help around him to share the load is what worries me. Smith, Cronk, Milf, Darius vs our spine ???

The horrible performances of Penrith this year have sort of cruelled some of the promise of a new direction that looked possible with Moylan, Cartwright and Peachey last year.

We have the 2nd most lethal attack in the game today (only 9 points - not even two converted tries) behind 1st overall, yet not one of our amazing backline can break it into these teams?

Don't get me wrong, completely over the moon for Myles and Jake.

I'd like Laurie to explain that to the league community if he loses. Surely he's done if we lose this season.

From all reports Tommy was a lock until he got injured. DCE is on the nose with the Queenslanders so no surprise he didn't get a look in. Horhay has been great for us but I suspect his lack of confidence under the high ball will hold him back from rep work. Walker has been good in spurts but has been a little inconsistent IMO. Uate , Kelly and Green ....well only the most staunch Manly fan would consider them Origin chances.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8