2017 Rugby League World Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Oh, how many have you seen?
Binge-watched the highlights of past ones of late, although by saying this I wasnt saying that i've seen them all. But rather that this is the most competitive one we've seen to date (thus most interesting) as it's not just Aus, Eng and NZ who were the only good, capable sides

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for Marty Taupau and AFB.....but at the same time I'm happy for Aku and Api.

The Kiwis have dead set gone backwards under Kidwell. And I can explain Kidwell's coaching by noting where he started his first grade playing career......the Adelaide Rams :p

Fiji winning that game was a great moment in league. Those players were so ecstatic, they beat one of the worlds top teams and gave a small nation a reason to turn away from rugby.

Ok so Australia will beat them but still good to see a team other than aus, UK or nz have a highlight

it's not just Aus, Eng and NZ who were the only good, capable sides
Agreed, and I think England will be bracing themselves for a full-scale assault from PNG today.
Tonga v Fiji final, anyone? Wonder what the odds of that were a few weeks ago.

Also the performances of a few players might put them on the recruitment radar. Kikau can't even make Penrith first grade? Another Fiji forward plays for Wyong?
Our recruitment manager (whoever that is) has to be booking a trip to Fiji asap to identify the next crop of up-and-comers.

I was thinking the kiwi's, after the 1st 2 games looked really good. Considering the players on the sideline.
Now they are gone.
I can't see early form saving kidwell.

Last edited:
What did he say?
"It's not a negative for us. We're going to build something here and we've got some great young talent coming through."

Blair preferred to give credit to Fiji.

"It was do or die for both teams who put it on the line.

"Our boys turned up, worked together as a group, and in the end a couple of penalties put them in front.

Betham asked him what their strategy was coming in.

"Be us," Blair said. "Play our way, they were tough, resilient and played for the 80 [minutes].

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11945482

It's not a negative for us.

So, it's a positive?

That's the phrase that has kicked off a storm, dodging the concerns that have led to New Zealand's downfall in an attempt to paint their exit in a better light.

While a shattered Shaun Johnson offered the country an apology for their ''dumb'' display, Blair's tone remained upbeat while he chewed a piece of gum, arguing the two upsets to Tonga and Fiji were a step in the right direction for international rugby league.

''It's great for the game, it's great to see Fiji and the likes of Tonga and perform with some great talent in their team, both professional outfits,'' he told Sky Sports.

''New Zealand are going to have to turn up when we come out here again with the group, go back, reflect on what we've done over this tournament, it's not a negative for us.

''We've got to build something here, we've got some great young talent coming through.''

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/...-cup-not-a-negative/6ev4lnr4t85n17idnpikh0n3o

Yep that transcript sums it up, but it was also delivered in a 'who cares' kind of tone which sent people over the edge

Been backed up after match by Shaun Johnson saying to the media "yous got your way" which fans have taken as being directed at them too

NZ league is in big trouble, the Warriors are close to the biggest laughing stock in NZ sport, and the Kiwis have gone down the gurgler too in the last year. Gonna be a hell of a job to turn it all around before 90% of the country is apathetic to it all

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6