2016 Halves Choice Merged Mega-Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Maloney has no x factor. He is not a game changing half. If we are going to have a ball running 5/8 in Mateo we need an electric half.

I don't get the objection to Carney. He is a brilliant half who acted like a tosser when he was young. He never had rules enforced on him and was pandered to. He won't get that from Toovey or anyone in the club. With actual coaching from Johns (something he has never had) he would be a superstar for us on not a lot of money.

assuming Killer Retires

He will be 34 at the start of next season. Considering he was 18 when he got his first grade start there can't be much tread left on those tyres. I hope he has another 10 years of great footy in him, I'm just not sure his body can hold up.

Is there really any Halves off contract that are worth buying do we just have a couple of fair seasons and blood our young guys ?? we have mention Maloney .Hodgkinson, Seazer Carney , but are they going to take us to a GF and in a few years we will be looking to get new halves anyway .And if we want to buy do we just go for Egley If Egley is as good as they say for a young bloke and he is the best around that would be my option and see how our young blokes go Like Aldridge , i listened to the nsw cup game on steele radio and they said he was our best in a beaten team ...just a thought ....

Is there really any Halves off contract that are worth buying do we just have a couple of fair seasons and blood our young guys ?? we have mention Maloney .Hodgkinson, Seazer Carney , but are they going to take us to a GF and in a few years we will be looking to get new halves anyway .And if we want to buy do we just go for Egley If Egley is as good as they say for a young bloke and he is the best around that would be my option and see how our young blokes go Like Aldridge , i listened to the nsw cup game on steele radio and they said he was our best in a beaten team ...just a thought ....

I think Carney could lead us to a GF and allow us to blood a young half next to him. When he leaves after a couple years we rinse and repeat. Offset young halves so we don't have this issue again.

I don't get the obsession with moving Killer on. That would be a disaster. He has got a good couple of seasons in him.

I hope so. Just don't think so.

Team I'd jizz over-

1. Stewart
2. Gutherson
3. Killer
4. Matai
5. Hiku
6. Mateo
7. Carney
8. Kane Evans
9. M. Ballin
10. T. Burgess
11. D. Lui
12. S Burgess
13. J. Buhrer

14. Mason
15. J. Trbojevic
16. J. Hodges
17. L Burgess

Last edited:
I don't get the obsession with moving Killer on. That would be a disaster. He has got a good couple of seasons in him.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he should be moved on, it's just that you don't see 34yr old centres in the NRL.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought he might retire at the end of this season. I don't want him to if he feels he can go around again and play well - he knows what he can and can't do. I would always trust him to make the right call, and he is signed until the end of 2016 from memory.

Who would you replace our two halves with ?
We definitely need a goal kicker. Even Lyon is mediocre.

I would go for Maloney/ Elgey.

I'd take Elgey - but realize that is a gamble.

Who the hell for 6?
Understand Maloney support but I don't like it.
Can't really think of anyone better.
Carney could be good but very risky in other ways.
Could we groom Mateo??? Hiku??? Think I'd prefer that until a better option comes.

1 week ago I think I was hoping Elgey/widdop. But really wasn't impressed with widdop the other night.
Elgey/Maloney for me I think.
Maybe Elgey/carney

Good one Bob, been listening to Rainy Day Woman of late?
I'd go with Mateo and Sezer for now and wait for the under 20's develop for now and invest in some big props for now

Bubbler Todd would have to be the best option out there. A budget pickup and better than one of our halfs currently playing.

Wouldn't have a clue to who is off contract but at the moment the way Mateo played against the dogs the other week he would be my number 6 (pending injury) he had the thumbles the other night but at least he was trying something. No idea about 7 I dont think the club has anything in the lower grades at the moment. Once again please dont just assume players are going to come a running to play with us we stink bad at the moment.

There are too many "what if's" to predict with real probability.

If Tooves stays, then Littlejohn or Rudolph in the #7. Not sure about the #6, perhaps Mateo or Hiku. These guys are already in the system.

If a new coach comes in, they'll have their sights on different players.

There's nobody decent available in Australia and I don't know enough about the #6 & #7 in the EPL. There might be someone over there?

If the U/20's halves continue to develop, they might be worth a shot in 2017.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8