1st penalty vs Tigers was not a penalty

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Part of the conspiracy that the NRL want Manly's license and are chipping and chipping away until the club is broke.
Those first two penalties were blatant in making that point.
NYEagle

I realise I will get burned for this comment.
I personally feel it was a bad call and the game swung on it, but should NOT be a turning point if a side is resilient.
Manly were also responsible for Allowing Tigers to play perfect footy, I mean Benji looked like he went through a 13 year time warp and was back to his 2005 form.
There is merit that Manly have a young team and struggle with adversity, but in truth, if 1 bad penalty can result in that diabolical implosion the attitude needs to be far stronger and the blokes on the big dollars need to step up and show the way, to give the youngster belief and hang in when the going gets tough.

I personally feel it was a bad call and the game swung on it, but should NOT be a turning point if a side is resilient.
Manly were also responsible for Allowing Tigers to play perfect footy, I mean Benji looked like he went through a 13 year time warp and was back to his 2005 form.
There is merit that Manly have a young team and struggle with adversity, but in truth, if 1 bad penalty can result in that diabolical implosion the attitude needs to be far stronger and the blokes on the big dollars need to step up and show the way, to give the youngster belief and hang in when the going gets tough.
Spot on maxta !!!
The moral of the story is, Its not what happens to us , but how we respond to what happens that makes us how great we are

A good coach would plant in their heads that if a penalty is awarded that is unjustified it is heads up, not down. Either hit twice as hard next set, or play to steady the ship until back at 50-50 possession. They should have a cattle dog call or word that if uttered means double the effort next set.

This team needs to learn to have contingency plans for adversity. I feel that with Barrett that he operates the team at one speed - that is to always play steady, so when things go wrong the emotional adjustment is negative because they are not meeting his expectations, rather than positive which is to make a positive adjustment or change in tempo.

Ask Roger Federer whether he plays steady in order to make no erros all match - hell no - he is constantly adjusting to adversity and adjusting his effort and emotion to suit the moment. If something doesn't work, no problem, change the approach!.

NYEagle

The best crowd of the season was their to support manly unfortunately they played like a bunch of wankers. I won’t be going again this year to spend my $100 on tickets beer and food until they start showing some heart . Blame the refs for the first few penalties but great manly teams would shrug it off and use it as motivation. We will lose against the eels and I will be putting my $100 on them to recoup the wasted money I spent last Sunday
The game was over before they got a chance to shrug it off. Sure, that wasn't all the refs, but that first penalty completely changed that game.

It seems a LOT of posters here have no idea what it's like for things to go wrong in the first 20 minutes and be absolutely gassed.
Sometimes the opposing team gets a continual leg up and you never get a chance to catch your breath, let alone fight back.

Sometimes it stems from bad calls, sometimes from your own mistakes but either way, if the opposition take advantage of it you are backpedaling and it's nigh impossible to turn it around.

They have all the ball and you just keep defending...you're fuc*ing exhausted, you defend your guts out and then don't have much to reply with in attack.

It's not a piss-weak effort, it's being overpowered by circumstance. I've been there and it's a feeling of hopelessness. You've given all you've got an it doesn't end.
It's depressing, demoralising, and you keep trying to lift, but you can't...it's absolutely overwhelming and it is often these days that it is at the whimsy of the referees.

You're trying to physically recover as an athlete.

We never recovered, something continually went against recovery.

Oranges brings respite but you only have 20% left for the second half of the game. You got burned.

If it's because of poor play, so be it, fit is because of poor refereeing or bias, that sucks.

In this game it was the latter 2.

We never had a chance.

It seems a LOT of posters here have no idea what it's like for things to go wrong in the first 20 minutes and be absolutely gassed.
Sometimes the opposing team gets a continual leg up and you never get a chance to catch your breath, let alone fight back.

Sometimes it stems from bad calls, sometimes from your own mistakes but either way, if the opposition take advantage of it you are backpedaling and it's nigh impossible to turn it around.

They have all the ball and you just keep defending...you're fuc*ing exhausted, you defend your guts out and then don't have much to reply with in attack.

It's not a piss-weak effort, it's being overpowered by circumstance. I've been there and it's a feeling of hopelessness. You've given all you've got an it doesn't end.
It's depressing, demoralising, and you keep trying to lift, but you can't...it's absolutely overwhelming and it is often these days that it is at the whimsy of the referees.

You're trying to physically recover as an athlete.

We never recovered, something continually went against recovery.

Oranges brings respite but you only have 20% left for the second half of the game. You got burned.

If it's because of poor play, so be it, fit is because of poor refereeing or bias, that sucks.

In this game it was the latter 2.

We never had a chance.
Agree. Combination of BS penalties, good play by tigers to get a couple of repeat sets then some silly mistakes carrying the ball out 15m from our own line. We were completely gassed and fatigued - especially our big towards, Jake and API.

Starting well is so important with Manly, getting even possession and playing with confidence. When things go against us for sustained periods team is still learning to stay in the grind. They were out in their feet after 20mins though. No ball. 50 odd tackles compared to 5

The refs started the ball rolling. The tigers took it from there with some smart play to keep us pinned down our end, taking points and keeping possession in the process. The kick in the guts was our atrocious handling and lack of patience when we finally did get our hands on the pill. Perfect examples of this would be Tom batting the ball over the side line in a low percentage play and Perret's off load attempt after HT. Perret getting hooked tells me exactly what the HT instructions from Trent Barrett were.

Hopefully we can learn from this and take that next step in our development as a team.

To stretch the bad call from (1 penalty) to 20 minutes domination is a cop out and I agree it was a BS penalty.
In actual fact, if Manly bashed the Tigers as they were doing before that penalty when they struggled to make 10m by tackle 5 before the penalty, the game would have swung back to Manly.
It was not they were gassed 20 minutes later, the Manly defence after the penalty 2minutes in while still fresh were getting beaten in most contacts and losing the ruck area....THIS is when Tigers took control, not after 20 minutes when Manly had nothing in the tank.
Its not a case of not understanding its a tough gig to fight back, or even hold on once your energy is sapped, its how you let yourself get in that position and its not all to do with refs picking on Manly.....if this is the mindset and excuse, be prepared for a flogging every time things get tough and in the NRL....EVERY team cops the tough calls - the difference is who chooses to stand up and who choose to lye down.

Last edited:
Interesting watching NRL tonight and how Paul Crawley stated as fact that the first penalty on the 3rd set of the game vs Tigers was NOT an offside penalty.
He reviewed the refs overhead feed and Manly were 12 to 13m back and did not jump the gun. Penalty was BS. Called by the pocket ref.

From then Tigers played perfect footy for the next 17 mins. 3 drop outs and 3 more pens and 2 tries.
Manly had one set in 17 minutes.

After that Manly were crap, but probably the game was lost set off by that BS penalty and Tigers perfect play for 17 minutes.
Will watch replay , Tuesday night episode ?

Interesting watching NRL tonight and how Paul Crawley stated as fact that the first penalty on the 3rd set of the game vs Tigers was NOT an offside penalty.
He reviewed the refs overhead feed and Manly were 12 to 13m back and did not jump the gun. Penalty was BS. Called by the pocket ref.

From then Tigers played perfect footy for the next 17 mins. 3 drop outs and 3 more pens and 2 tries.
Manly had one set in 17 minutes.

After that Manly were crap, but probably the game was lost set off by that BS penalty and Tigers perfect play for 17 minutes.
Good on Paul Crawley for backing up with this in his column today.

It feels like every time we give away early penalties it's AFB who concedes it. Either that or when he concedes penalties it happens to be late in the tackle count with them pinned down their end

and then he turns his back to walk back to the line and its an invite for a quick tap ...! basics are lacking at times !

manly call.jpg

Glad Barrett still ripped into the players for the way they reacted to this "BAD CALL."
Personally was fuming when I heard the whistle but another part of me expected it, the way Manly opened up after the penalty suprised me more than the bad call, with these penalties happening most games and to most teams.
In actual fact, if Manly aimed up and won back the momentum and the game, this article about 1 penalty would never have been written.

Great to get closure on this with the confirmation that we were penalised for being inside the 10 but were actually 13m back. It was doing my head in thinking I’d missed a sly uppercut in the tackle or that there was a valid reason for it.

Last edited:
Great to get closure on this with the confirmation that we were penalised for being inside the 10 but we’re actually 13m back. It was doing my head in thinking I’d missed a sly uppercut in the tackle or that there was a valid reason for it.
Not to mention all those missed penalties against the Tigers. There were at least 3 play the balls where the Tigers' players so obviously played the ball without putting foot to ball. So much for their 'crackdown'.

I think back to last year and Perenara's Panthers game. Even though they lost, the team dealt with the game really well. But not long after this the attitude of the team seemed to collapse every time there was a bad call against them. I'm starting to wonder whether the same conspiracy theories have crept into some the squads thinking or that the constant "misfortune" of the club is finally impacting moral. It's easy to say that the players should be more professional about it and even fire up because of it but the only other time I remember things being anywhere near this bad was 98/99 and were were pretty bad then despite the caliber of players we still had in the squad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8