‘Show respect’: NRL’s message as Hasler, Manly face $25,000 fine

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tezza. I have to ask.

Your a former English Teacher yeah? And is there any truth that wives and girlfriends ban possessing a red pen at home?
If he was, he would have come back with, "no, it's you're, as in 'you are', not 'your', as in 'it's your possession'...." ...............or somefink like that........... I reackon.......you can just arsk me... :)

Show some fuking professionalism you pack of gormless c***s and then the players and coaches won't have anything to complain about. Bust your guts for 80 mins only to have a bunch of incompetent or agenda driven clowns take it away from you. What the fuk do they expect. Nothing will change , we'll continue to get ref arse raped at every opportunity.

I can't access SMH links now - but found a transcript on Reddit:

Coach Des Hasler and Manly are facing a hefty fine for his sustained public attack on referee Ben Cummins and match officials following Friday night’s loss to Parramatta.

Hasler made his feelings clear after the 22-20 defeat, declaring Christian Tuipulotu’s tackle on Hayze Perham should never have been punished late in the game, and the 9-2 penalty count allowed the Eels to be “legged back into the game”.

Manly players continued to bag Cummins on Tuesday with prop Josh Aloiai declaring: “I think he did a bad job and we didn’t get away with the win. So I’m pretty unhappy with him, to be honest with you.”

Hasler has been fined on several occasions and in 2015 famously labelled referees Voldemorts, an evil character from Harry Potter, so he would avoid any sanction for referring directly to whistleblowers.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo helped launch Indigenous Round on Tuesday and confirmed they were looking into the comments made by Hasler.

“His comments are under review, so I won’t talk specifically about his comments, but I will talk generally,” Abdo said.

“Everyone needs to take a bit of a breath and show respect for what is a very difficult job.

“I think we all need to move towards being more respectful and more professional generally.

“Respect for match officials and referees is important, not just at the NRL level ... we all have a job to do to recognise, respect and acknowledge the difficult job the match officials do. They do a good job.

“They make mistakes from time to time, that’s normal, it’s a professional sport, there are a lot of 50/50 calls that could go either way.

“Our fans are passionate, there will always be debate in any sport, but this concept of thinking referees are deliberately making mistakes, or not heavily scrutinised following the match on an independent basis, is not true.”

Abdo said it was extra important for coaches and players to lead by example given they were role models for the rest of society.

“They set the example for what happens across fields across Australia at a mass level,” Abdo said.

“There will be decisions that go against you, I understand how much is at stake and the passion everyone has for winning. But I think everyone needs to accept there are things that we do say and can say, and there are things we don’t say.”

Fines for coaches have started at $10,000, but the NRL could come down even heavier in Hasler and Manly, especially in light of the players wanting to continue to question the decision four days after the loss.

Penrith’s Ivan Cleary was slugged $20,000 for suggesting officials had “managed” Canberra back into a game in 2020, a comment that was slammed as “deplorable” by ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald some Manly players were so upset with the refereeing at CommBank Stadium they offered to pay part of any fine that may come Hasler’s way.

Meanwhile, the ARL Commission will meet on Wednesday, but a decision on whether to push ahead with a “round zero” match in the US next year will not be resolved.

There is excitement brewing about the 2023 campaign opening in America, with Manly and South Sydney to headline the game because of their Hollywood links to Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

“We’re looking at it, but no decisions are imminent,” Abdo said.

“We have a bit of time because we will need to have done the work by September when the draw starts to get formulated. The next couple of months are critical.”

Coach Des Hasler and Manly are facing a hefty fine for his sustained public attack on referee Ben Cummins and match officials following Friday night’s loss to Parramatta.

Hasler made his feelings clear after the 22-20 defeat, declaring Christian Tuipulotu’s tackle on Hayze Perham should never have been punished late in the game, and the 9-2 penalty count allowed the Eels to be “legged back into the game”.

Manly players continued to bag Cummins on Tuesday with prop Josh Aloiai declaring: “I think he did a bad job and we didn’t get away with the win. So I’m pretty unhappy with him, to be honest with you.”

Hasler has been fined on several occasions and in 2015 famously labelled referees Voldemorts, an evil character from Harry Potter, so he would avoid any sanction for referring directly to whistleblowers.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo helped launch Indigenous Round on Tuesday and confirmed they were looking into the comments made by Hasler.

“His comments are under review, so I won’t talk specifically about his comments, but I will talk generally,” Abdo said.

“Everyone needs to take a bit of a breath and show respect for what is a very difficult job.

“I think we all need to move towards being more respectful and more professional generally.

“Respect for match officials and referees is important, not just at the NRL level ... we all have a job to do to recognise, respect and acknowledge the difficult job the match officials do. They do a good job.

“They make mistakes from time to time, that’s normal, it’s a professional sport, there are a lot of 50/50 calls that could go either way.

“Our fans are passionate, there will always be debate in any sport, but this concept of thinking referees are deliberately making mistakes, or not heavily scrutinised following the match on an independent basis, is not true.”

Abdo said it was extra important for coaches and players to lead by example given they were role models for the rest of society.

“They set the example for what happens across fields across Australia at a mass level,” Abdo said.

“There will be decisions that go against you, I understand how much is at stake and the passion everyone has for winning. But I think everyone needs to accept there are things that we do say and can say, and there are things we don’t say.”

Fines for coaches have started at $10,000, but the NRL could come down even heavier in Hasler and Manly, especially in light of the players wanting to continue to question the decision four days after the loss.

Penrith’s Ivan Cleary was slugged $20,000 for suggesting officials had “managed” Canberra back into a game in 2020, a comment that was slammed as “deplorable” by ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald some Manly players were so upset with the refereeing at CommBank Stadium they offered to pay part of any fine that may come Hasler’s way.

Meanwhile, the ARL Commission will meet on Wednesday, but a decision on whether to push ahead with a “round zero” match in the US next year will not be resolved.

There is excitement brewing about the 2023 campaign opening in America, with Manly and South Sydney to headline the game because of their Hollywood links to Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

“We have a bit of time because we will need to have done the work by September when the draw starts to get formulated. The next couple of months are critical.”
Unfortunately by focussing on the Tuipulotu tackle in the presser and not the 9 - 2 penalty count, the 2 - 0 6 again count, not getting one decision from the on field ref and the missed offside and forward pass Des allowed the NRL to find an angle to say he was wrong.
Instead of fining him they should sit down with Des and Cummins and go through all the decisions made and justify them. This will never happen I know.

I’m just wondering if any of you legal types can offer an opinion on challenging fines? The amounts and reasons seem highly variable and subjective.

Unfortunately by focussing on the Tuipulotu tackle in the presser and not the 9 - 2 penalty count, the 2 - 0 6 again count, not getting one decision from the on field ref and the missed offside and forward pass Des allowed the NRL to find an angle to say he was wrong.
Instead of fining him they should sit down with Des and Cummins and go through all the decisions made and justify them. This will never happen I know.

I'd also want them to go over the non calls. Such as "why wasn't that parra player called back when he was well offside?"

It's not just the penalties they should go over.

The trouble with GA (of whom I am not) is that if Des was to sit down and go through it all, eventually GA gets annoyed, says that v'landy once said refs get 98% of decisions correct, so how about everyone just be respectful.

Unfortunately,that way the point (as you say) gets missed once again which is cummings has a anti manly bias.

GA brushed aside the penalty count by saying some teams are better disciplined and we don't tell refs to make penalty counts even.

There's a lot that should be brushed aside, tbh.

Anyone know how to set up a go fund me page? Happily put some $$$ in
According to the SMH: "Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald some Manly players were so upset with the refereeing at CommBank Stadium they offered to pay part of any fine that may come Hasler’s way."

The issue is not a lack of respect for refs when they get a few decisions wrong, it is that this ref was so biased that he had to be on the take. Nobody could be so one-sided and not have an agenda or a pay-off.

A true sign that the ref did a good job is if he is not spoken about after the game. Just does his job and officiates both sides evenly and lets the football speak for itself.

The fact that we are still talking about his performance 5 days after the game proves this system is broken.

I reckon they should record the ref's sessions so the general public can watch them.
Most people wont bother because it would be very boring to watch, but if they are officiating honestly then they shouldn't have anything to hide from us, therefor it shouldn't be an issue for us to be able to watch what they are doing.
True. Will the NRL provide a report on the review it apparently did about Cummins' performance?
If the NRL expects us to give respect then it needs to be transparent.
I notice that Cummins still retained his job this weekend. Where is the validation for this? Fans are still talking about the rort so where is the respect for we sausage roll eaters?

Yeah let's take the game to America to show them how real refereeing incompetence is done.
Don't you love the way on-field refs in American football throw a handkerchief on the ground to signal an infringement?
The US is the world's most technologically advanced nation yet it won't adopt a multi-million Bunker like us; nah, a handky is all that's needed.

Tezza. I have to ask.

Your a former English Teacher yeah? And is there any truth that wives and girlfriends ban possessing a red pen at home?
It's you're as in you are not your.

And no I'm not an English teacher or any other kind of teacher. ;)

Yeah let's take the game to America to show them how real refereeing incompetence is done.
How come we get picked to play in a "Round 0" match in the USA which could lead to season ending injuries.

Makes as much sense at that stupid Nines tournament that did cause serious and season injuries to some players.

Strangely enough no comments are allowed on this article.

SMH part of Nine protecting their investment.

How come we get picked to play in a "Round 0" match in the USA which could lead to season ending injuries.

Makes as much sense at that stupid Nines tournament that did cause serious and season injuries to some players.

It'll still give us two competition points when we win, its just called round 0 as its a week earlier than the rest of the comp starting to give our players an extra week to recover.

It'll still give us two competition points when we win, its just called round 0 as its a week earlier than the rest of the comp starting to give our players an extra week to recover.
Thanks for clearing that up.

They never lie, they don’t have to, they just speak in reference to their personal process, knowing full well, you can’t and or don’t understand where their coming from, bingo, of course they do a good job.
I worked for many of these blokes, they are churned out by the dozen by minor private schools,
they live for the sound of their own voice, expressing their opinion. I did the good job, they grabbed the credit.

IMO the way he spoke showed a little too much respect, needed to rip the hinges off all the new doors at parra stadium ... How about the refs also show some respect with the atrocious reads of the game ... These guys live is fairy land

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8