Warriors coach sacked

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Former Manly Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey has expressed his interest in taking on the Warriors role after Stephen Kearney’s shock axing on Saturday.
Toovey has not coached in the NRL since 2015, when he was let go by the Sea Eagles after a ninth-placed finish.

Overall though Toovey experienced success at the Northern Beaches, finishing up with a 58 per cent winning record from 105 games in charge.

Toovey would be wonderful for the Warriors. He could at least get them going in the right direction.

Stephen Kearney was a good player with a pretty face but he never ever struck me as a good coach. Any club would be crazy to go for him in a head coaching role

Toovey would be wonderful for the Warriors. He could at least get them going in the right direction.
Stephen Kearney was a good player with a pretty face but he never ever struck me as a good coach. Any club would be crazy to go for him in a head coaching role
Pretty face? Hmm er if you say so!
They need a coach whisperer, a NZ version of what Des is for Manly. Where they find him I don't know but NZ has such a rich footy history there must be someone.
Maybe get one of the All Blacks greats to set the winning culture? They certainly do not lack talent over there.

Screenshot_20200622-210546_Samsung Internet.jpg
does anyone know who this poor bloke is

Definitely a fence sitter on this one.
Would love Tooves to do well.
But am worried there’s a lot of political backstabbing going on over there.
And as we know, Tooves does not tolerate that kind of atmosphere.

Apparently due to the wording on Kearney's contract they didn't have to pay him out his remaining 2 years.

Agree with the above, Tooves would be ideal for them and I'd go back to having them my second team.

It's one of the great mysteries as to why the Worriers have been so poor for so long when they have the finest rugby talent in the world plus easy access to the best footballers from Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.
I wonder if they need to be more inclusive of the South Island. It seems the Worriers are Auckland-centric and this may alienate players and fans from the South.

What coach in their right mind would take on that Warriors job ?? I hope Tooves doesn't - you'd be on a hiding to nothing trying to get that place to "click". They have all the talent in the world but can't seem to make it work for a full season. I keep thinking about their spine a few seasons ago - it was basically the NZ test spine (RTS, Foz, SJ and Luke) and they still floundered

Speaking on 2GB on Monday, Griffin said he sympathises with Kearney but would potentially be interested in the gig.

"I’m interested in any job, and I don’t want to dance around that," Griffin said.

"But at the moment... I really feel for Steve.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Are the Warriors trying to stop the NRL season?

-Staff writers
28/06/20

With the recent sacking of their coach and subsequent comments by their caretaker, Payten, it is a real possibility that the Warriors are trying to get the whole NRL competition put on hiatus.

Everyone is appreciative of the Warriors heading 'across the ditch' to give the punters rugby league to watch but some at Warriors HQ felt at the time that they were shooting themselves in the foot and are now desperately trying to rectify the situation.

The on field results were bad enough but piled on top of that was the emotional toll of the players being away from their families and friends for weeks and weeks. Morale at the Warriors has been plummeting and hope for improving results are disappearing fast. Encouragement and thanks from grateful rugby league fans was now having little positive effect on the players who just want to go home.

Then,in a surprising twist, coach Stephen Kearney was sacked, by phone, and from overseas. The leader of this courageous team was unceremoniously dumped with the only reason proffered being: 'we had been thinking about it for some time.'

Journalists were frantically ringing their contacts in an attempt to find out if there was more to the story. It seemed too bizarre that the Warriors owners would destroy so much goodwill and hurt their players so much without an ulterior motive.

Eventually we had a conversation with someone close to the board who was promised anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the discussions.

It was revealed that because the Warriors are experiencing such poor on field results they feel spending any more isolated time in Australia will be detrimental to the longer term results of the team and players.
Management want to write off this year, the players want to go home and everyone else involved wants to forget this 'Annus Horribilis'.

The way this has been stage managed has been interesting. The Warriors understand they can't just head to the nearest airport, no matter how much they want to, so they had to do something else.

First, the coach Kearney was fired. Leaving us with the feeling of a captain-less ship and homesick crew. Is that the first stirrings of mutiny we hear?

Then the caretaker coach Payten steps up. Normally in every previous case of interim coaches the message is how the team will band together, really dig deep, hope to repay the faith of the fans. Did Payten do any of this? No. Instead we hear about how sad the players are, distraught even, furthering the seeds of discontent.

Following on did Payten lay down the law, demanding his contracted players knuckle down and get to work? Again, no. In fact throughout his surprising press conferences he seemed to be almost asking his players to go home. 'He wouldn't stand in anyone's way,' he said., 'if players wished to return to New Zealand.'

It just seemed too strange to be true, but now the story is clear.

Warriors management have had enough of this season. They aren't making any money from gate takings, their players are not around to help out charitable causes or meet sponsors, coverage in the news is dwindling as Rugby Union has re-started, and the lack of positive results are beginning to make themselves felt as sponsors are drying up.

Make no mistake, the Warriors don't want to be playing any more this season and sacking their coach and encouraging their players to return home is a strategy to shift responsibility to the NRL so the Warriors avoid being seen as the villains.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, assuming a second wave of Covid-19 doesn't make the decision for the NRL first.

Put Tooves or Griffin in for the rest if the year. Rip those soft Warriors new ones.

Hire Gallen 4 the rest of the year to play.

Brother coaching duo, Ben and Shane Walker, are in the frame to take over the vacant New Zealand Warriors head coaching job.

The former NRL players have long been touted as future head coaches at the top level after their unique style with the Ipswich Jets collected both Intrust Super Cup and State Championship glory in 2015.

The pair has been closely linked to other previously vacant NRL gigs, but a chance across the ditch my turn out to be the most fruitful.

Warriors CEO Cameron George confirmed talks had been held with the pair.

Their style might just work with the rugby players from over there. Could be interesting. Glad they’re not trying to be the storm 2.0

Brother coaching duo, Ben and Shane Walker, are in the frame to take over the vacant New Zealand Warriors head coaching job.

The former NRL players have long been touted as future head coaches at the top level after their unique style with the Ipswich Jets collected both Intrust Super Cup and State Championship glory in 2015.

The pair has been closely linked to other previously vacant NRL gigs, but a chance across the ditch my turn out to be the most fruitful.

Warriors CEO Cameron George confirmed talks had been held with the pair.
The new rules would suit the walkers. I'd love to see them get 3-4 years in the NRL to prove themselves.

Former Jets coaches Ben and Shane Walker are in line for the Warriors gig. Pic Darren England.
Former Jets coaches Ben and Shane Walker are in line for the Warriors gig. Pic Darren England.Source: News Corp Australia
They may not have any experience coaching an NRL team but the highly-regarded Walker brothers, Ben and Shane, are set to take the Warriors job.
According to the ABC, the pair have signed a “one-year deal” to replace Stephen Kearney starting next year.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10