Warriors coach sacked

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Warriors sack coach Stephen Kearney after loss to South Sydney
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
June 20, 2020 4:20pm

Subscriber only

The New Zealand Warriors have sacked coach Stephen Kearney with two years remaining on his contract.
He is expected to be replaced by assistant coach Todd Payten for the remainder of the season.
The Warriors management made the decision Saturday morning after Friday night’s heavy loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Kearney has coached his last game in the NRL. AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.

Kearney has coached his last game in the NRL. AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.
The players and staff were informed on the decision Saturday afternoon in Terrigal where the team is in camp.

In a year in which coaches across the game have been under enormous pressure, Kearney becomes the first to lose his job despite the difficulties the team has faced this year livin g away from home.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga said on Fox Sports he was surprised by the decision.

“I feel it’s a bit premature considering the challenges the Warriors have had to confront,” Meninga said, “It’s a bit harsh.”

Kearney has coached the Warriors since 2017.

He took the club to the finals in 2018, marking New Zealand’s first top eight finish since 2011.

The former Kiwi Test forward had previously coached Parramatta from 2011 to 2013.

“Stephen was informed this morning that we needed to make an immediate change,” said Warriors CEO Cameron George.

Kearney’s side lost to the Rabbitohs on Friday. AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.
Kearney’s side lost to the Rabbitohs on Friday. AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.
“It’s a tough day for all of us particularly after last night’s performance.

“Stephen is extremely professional and has put in a huge amount of effort in the role but, along with the owners, we feel we need to make a change now in the best interests of the club.

“We’re so grateful to Stephen for the dedication he has shown to us in what have been difficult circumstances. His commitment, work ethic and concern for the wellbeing of the club, players and their families through this challenging year is testament to his character and we wish him and his family all the best for the future.”

...I would never do it to the bloke because I'm not that mean.....but they need an Anthony Griffin type. Hard task master and knows more than a little about the game.

Good decision by the Warriors. Kearney wasn’t getting any better and the team was going backward. I’d like to see the Warriors do well for a few years and pick up a premiership. There are some islands on the other side of the Tasman that produce most of the best rugby players in the world. It would be good for the NRL if Kiwi kids wanted to play league.

They need a complete overhaul. If the nrl want them in the comp they need something to help em hold on to their juniors. And one of the top coaches to go there for a few years. They should be given some type of cap excemption so they can retain kiwi juniors. They pretty much need a nz test team atm to be competitive.

The problem the Warriors have is they have to pay over market value for Australian players to head over there. There just isn’t the appetite for many players to go over to NZ and play. While they have good junior talent - it is disproportionately spread over a few positions.

Theres also no use getting a coach in to try and turn them into the new storm or roosters or whatever again. They should play their own style of football which maximises the talent of the above players they do bring through. Offloads and big hits!

They need a complete overhaul. If the nrl want them in the comp they need something to help em hold on to their juniors. And one of the top coaches to go there for a few years. They should be given some type of cap excemption so they can retain kiwi juniors. They pretty much need a nz test team atm to be competitive.

Trouble is if they hold onto this juniors, they kill their careers, and a lot of the juniors have no interest in playing for them

Couple of stories here, I went to school with a player who ended up playing NRL and test footy. Signed with the Warriors for 20k, Roosters said here is 100k and guess where he went, so there is a money element to it as you say

That was a long time ago, this one is more current. Have been watching 1 of the best juniors I’ve seen the past few years, playing men’s footy at 16, and he absolutely brains them. Warriors were very keen but he wouldn’t go near them, Brisbane wined and dined him and he moved over there at the start of this year

I really can't understand the timing of this sacking.
They are going to have to pay Kearney out for two years salary.
I think the Worriers have overachieved in the six matches played this season, winning two. I thought the only team they would beat would be the Titans. So, in my view, Kearney has done well so far this season.

The Warriors over the years have had some decent footy teams consisting of some great players but they underachieved because they lack a coach who can Instill a winning culture
Lets look at the coaches they have had since the last time they lost to us in the 2011 grand final
Brian Mclennan sacked coach 2012 where is he now ? Who knows
Mathew Elliot sacked coach 2014 Where is he now ? A commentator
Andrew Mcfadden sacked coach 2016 Where is he now ? Who knows
Stephen Kearney sacked coach 2020 . Before signing with the Warriors he had 2 seasons with the eels and a 24 % winning record .
There it is feathered friends . Unless they get a quality coach like Des to instill a winning ethos and resilience in their culture the Warriors will continue to be failures

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8