The Kieran Forum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

How long will Foran last?

• 1 month

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • 2months

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • 3months

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • 4months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 5months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6months

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Has the best season since 2011

Votes: 42 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Choc was a great manly player but seriously for 900k Parra have bought a dud. He will be lucky to play out half of his contract

The Eels have paid way too much Foran okay player
By ScottWoodward.me, 18 Mar 2015

The Parramatta Eels are celebrating the prized signature of Kieran Foran, but when the hoo-hah dies down and reality sinks in, some thinking supporter will remind them that they have stuffed up – again!

The modern day NRL team cannot pay huge ‘overs’ for any player and expect to win a competition.

The new-look Eels have a fresh board, chief executive and even created a new position for a general manager of football. Their popular coach is currently in his second year after inheriting a nightmare from Ricky Stuart.

Most fans had the expectation that this new structure would have learnt from their many past recruitment mistakes.

The current team includes Will Hopoate (reported $800,000 a season) and Chris Sandow ($550,000 a season). Both are earning close to double their real worth on an open market, and now we hear that Kieran Foran will bank $4.7 million over four years.

How is Kieran Foran worth almost $1.2 million a season? He is not even the best player at Manly – most professionals would rate him behind Daly Cherry-Evans and Brett Stewart. But Eels living legend Peter Sterling has no doubts Foran is worth every cent.

“He’s one bloke you would (pay that much money) for,” Sterling said.

Sterlo was a great player for the Eels and after many long years of trying, they have not come close to replacing him. Post-retirement, his deeds as a co-caller on Nine have given him enormous credibility in the game, but he must have failed maths at school.

To rip $1.2 million out of a 2016 salary cap of $6.8 million you would need to have a once-in-a-generation player, and as talented as Foran is, he simply is not that good.

Greg Inglis, Daly Cherry-Evans and Johnathan Thurston are the only players who would be considered at this price in the NRL today. Perhaps Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne if they had a change of heart.

I asked two professionals who make their living from rating teams and players’ value and they both had Foran’s value between 550k and 600k. It remains to be seen how this buying market-share strategy will affect the Eels, as they have paid out $400,000 a season greater than Foran’s club, the Sea Eagles, and well over double what is generally considered his true worth to a salary cap.

Everyone agrees he is a great competitor and an asset to any club, but it is relative to value percentage into the cap. If Eels fans think that Foran is going to turn up next season and finally be the long-lost organiser that has been sadly missing since Sterlo and Brett Kenny then they are in for a disappointment. Foran will bring leadership and stability, but he is not an on-field general with a brilliant tactical kicking game.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/03/18/the-eels-have-paid-way-too-much-foran-ok-player/

^The Bleeding obvious

Both Chez and Foz will find that the ability of the Players around them are the reason for their success.

Snake, Killer, Matai and the ever present Matty won't be there in support of their kicks/breaks next year. See JT's success at Club level @:cool:

The Eels have paid way too much Foran okay player
By ScottWoodward.me, 18 Mar 2015

The Parramatta Eels are celebrating the prized signature of Kieran Foran, but when the hoo-hah dies down and reality sinks in, some thinking supporter will remind them that they have stuffed up – again!

The modern day NRL team cannot pay huge ‘overs’ for any player and expect to win a competition.

The new-look Eels have a fresh board, chief executive and even created a new position for a general manager of football. Their popular coach is currently in his second year after inheriting a nightmare from Ricky Stuart.

Most fans had the expectation that this new structure would have learnt from their many past recruitment mistakes.

The current team includes Will Hopoate (reported $800,000 a season) and Chris Sandow ($550,000 a season). Both are earning close to double their real worth on an open market, and now we hear that Kieran Foran will bank $4.7 million over four years.

How is Kieran Foran worth almost $1.2 million a season? He is not even the best player at Manly – most professionals would rate him behind Daly Cherry-Evans and Brett Stewart. But Eels living legend Peter Sterling has no doubts Foran is worth every cent.

“He’s one bloke you would (pay that much money) for,” Sterling said.

Sterlo was a great player for the Eels and after many long years of trying, they have not come close to replacing him. Post-retirement, his deeds as a co-caller on Nine have given him enormous credibility in the game, but he must have failed maths at school.

To rip $1.2 million out of a 2016 salary cap of $6.8 million you would need to have a once-in-a-generation player, and as talented as Foran is, he simply is not that good.

Greg Inglis, Daly Cherry-Evans and Johnathan Thurston are the only players who would be considered at this price in the NRL today. Perhaps Israel Folau and Jarryd Hayne if they had a change of heart.

I asked two professionals who make their living from rating teams and players’ value and they both had Foran’s value between 550k and 600k. It remains to be seen how this buying market-share strategy will affect the Eels, as they have paid out $400,000 a season greater than Foran’s club, the Sea Eagles, and well over double what is generally considered his true worth to a salary cap.

Everyone agrees he is a great competitor and an asset to any club, but it is relative to value percentage into the cap. If Eels fans think that Foran is going to turn up next season and finally be the long-lost organiser that has been sadly missing since Sterlo and Brett Kenny then they are in for a disappointment. Foran will bring leadership and stability, but he is not an on-field general with a brilliant tactical kicking game.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/03/18/the-eels-have-paid-way-too-much-foran-ok-player/

This article sums it up exactly. Whilst I agree Foz is a gear loss to this club and worth a considerable amount of money, he is definitely no Chez who can win a game, the Storm in round 2 is a prime example.

I recall last year in our second clash against the Dogs with their huge forward pack, it was Chez who with some brilliance took the game by the scruff in the first half and we won it from there.

Put it this way, i still think he is sincere about his comments about he club and Toovey. I'm sure he wrestled with the thought. He may have agreed with Eels a long time ago but it wasn't announced. Why? I reckon he was wrestling with the thought of leaving the other mates (Snake, Matai and Lyon) that was in that rumoured group with Choc, Gifty and Foran. Before christmas there were reports Manly put identical contracts to both halves sitting at around $1 million each. so he really isn't leaving for that much money if reports are correct.

I'm an outside fan of another club and i feel for Manly but i don't feel for some of the fans that are ripping the bloke apart. It's a business these days. Your club will continue to be strong. Like Eels went through with Hayne going sure it was dark to think he wasn't going to be there but there is light at the end of the tunnel and it all depends on how you use the money. Eels got Foran and look to keep Hopoate and Sandow while Manly now have a chance to strengthen where they're lacking (forwards) and get some halves

• 21 Mar 2015
  • Manly Daily
ZORBA’S VIEW

Peter Peters IF EELS coach Brad Arthur has told Manly’s Kieran Foran he will be in charge of Parramatta for the next four years, history shows it is a promise he cannot deliver.

Kieran Foran has until round 13 to change his mind.:mad:
Since Brian Smith finished up mid-season in 2006 there has been a revolving door for Eels coaches.

The axe has come down on seven coaches in the past eight years.

Parramatta has been a graveyard for coaches as the club craves success in the NRL.

Here are the names on the gravestones since 2006: 2006 Brian Smith 2006 Jason Taylor (caretaker) 2007-2008 Michael Hagan 2009-2010 Daniel Anderson 2011-2012 Stephen Kearney 2012 Brad Arthur (caretaker) 2013 Ricky Stuart 2014 Brad Arthur In recent times, two years is about the average term of a Parramatta coach, with the club having no problems replacing them mid-season.

Foran has been open and up front about his admiration for Arthur, forged during a two-season stint he had as an assistant to Geoff Toovey at Manly.

Herein lies a vital point in Foran’s announcement this week that he would sign with Parramatta for four years, from 2016-19 inclusive. Foran has two of the smartest operators in player management in George Mimis and Paul Sutton, from SFX sports management.

I don’t believe they would have allowed Foran to sign a deal without a get-out clause concerning the coach.

It would be that if Arthur is sacked, then Fozzie could walk out.:eek:

Parramatta chief executive Scott Seward has denied there is such a clause.

Only Foran and his management know the truth but if Parramatta are telling porkies, that will already be leaving a sour taste in Foran’s mouth.

So where does that leave Foran and, indeed, Daly Cherry-Evans?

They both have until round 13 – 10 weeks away – to change their minds on their multimillion-dollar deals with Parramatta and the Gold Coast respectively. Their decisions to leave have been, by their own admissions, very tough to make.

Leaving the Sea Eagles, the lifestyle, the community and the avid fans isn’t easy.

I recall in 1987 Ronnie Gibbs made a mid-season decision to leave the next season for the Gold Coast.

He went on to play outstandingly for the rest of the season under coach Bob Fulton as Manly won the last grand final at the SCG.

At the end of the season, Gibbs openly regretted his decision to leave but there was no cooling-off period in those days.

His career never really reached great heights after he left a powerful club with culture to go to a club with no culture or real success.

That must be weighing heavily on the minds of both the young playmakers.

Cherry-Evans was as good as I have seen him last Saturday night against Melbourne Storm.
=========================================
Hey Z, Foz is just not that into you!:D

Fact check item - Dalai walked away from his second year contract with Manly.
It only took one year for Foz to choose him over you :p

The kiddies who love Chez and Foz don't know/care about the 80's turncoats either.

I doubt Foran will change his mind and probably doesn't care if BA is there or not. The payday for him is so huge and everyone knows it. Unless he gets infected with Hayne-itis then it will only be about him and his bank manager having lunch.

Did Zorba write that article.......seriously.........?

Oh dear a bit of a worry if he did, slime BA was at the Mighty Sea Eagles for 1 season. Manly allowed him to cut his contract short ....!

Getting the facts is very important in news media (lol, cough, cough) and I would expect that someone from our apparent inner circle to get this right at least............What about a mention of how incredible a coach Tooves is Zorba? And how could anyone even consider using slime BA as an excuse to go anywhere, it is joke. Call it for what it is.........Foz has mucked the club and fans about, has lied and cares only for himself and he is going to the **** worms for money....!!!!

Anyway, I just shake my head...........!

It's incredible that zorba got this wrong. Brad Arthur was only at the sea eagles for one year and has ripped the joint apart like Des tried to do once he left.

So Foran claims he's a "man of his word" hey!

He clearly isn't after telling he Joe Kelly at the season launch he hadn't signed with any club.

What tripe! On your way Foz. If you don't have respect for the fans & the club that made you at least have some for yourself.

After the lies, deceit & underhanded ness you have displayed, Parramatta is welcome to you.

I hope you enjoyed finals footy while you had the chance!

Manly will always be strong & you'll be a myth soon after seasons end.

What a complete load of bullsh$$. If he was a man or his word why not tell the club he signed with the eels months ago. Then we could have kept dce

Pretty sad the whole thing. Imagine Foz and Cherries legacy if they went about their business quietly and discreetly, re-signed with Manly, and took the club through another golden era.

They'd be hailed heroes.

Disappointed for (and by I guess) them both. I really think they are missing out, for short term gain.

"What upsets the players is that the damage is done and they are cranky with the predicament the club is in but there is now no one to get angry at."

And right there we have the mark of the man. The club, that brought him through from juniors, had a problem which is now gone. That problem caused all sorts of devastation in the ranks. It is right there that the (now) senior players should stand up and lead the club back to good health; to help the club that once gave them every bit of help they've had.
But Foz?
Ooh, too hard. I'm out!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12