Sadly .. The post of the year.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I'd love to know when the actual culture changed some time after 2011, and what was the catalyst.

I've always wondered what we'd be like if Des ORIGINALLY stayed, Penn backed him, didn't enforce contract benchmarks and all that.

It was literally winning is the only acceptable outcome at that time. The team was ruthless. The fans demanded only the best. Jeez, the recruitment was ruthless. Remember the train of talent? Shane Rodney, Steven Bell, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Ben Kennedy, Brent Kite, Matt Orford, Matt Ballin, surrounded by guys like the Stewart's, Matais (who we found - who found Matai?), and many others?

The culture and our identity has changed. Maybe working out what tangibly changed it, we can then address it?

Hope that's not too negative for people?
I would say it was / is all driven by an ownership strucutre is, well how can i put this, passive in its direction rather than ambitious

It is one thing to say we are a results business but they have continually failed to create the supporting strucutres

In hindsight .. it may be a blessing that @Mark from Brisbane has a sabbatical ...

Otherwise he would re-open his thread on top 8 predictions ... and embarrass more than a couple of us experts ..

The game day thread is about statements. Statements of frustration, joy, anger, despair etc in the momemt. None of that is directed at other posters . its like being at the footy to an extent

i doubt the game day thread turns anyone off ST one bit

all the argey bargey is about game analysis and pre game hopes and expectations

people give opinions. Others counter those opinions. That what the forum is about

its not clever to insult people. Thats what turns people off and makes the forum a womens weekly .

some people like @BOZO bring entusiasm is spades
some people like @Ryan bring a results based business as a focus
and so be it. Thats who they are and the place is better for there daily contributions IMO

i really hope neither of you guys are offended that i used you guys as examples but i do enjoy your input despite not being sold on everything you say. Your relentless pursuit is a massive positive on theseboards and when both of you took a break it wasnt the same

its like @mickqld pre game despair. Its not footy season without it. I always look for it. Who doesn't love the characters

In the words of kamahl
why are people so unkind
Agree, especially after a big loss, you always find solace amongst your own kind on the game day thread. It's, how can i describe it....huddling Penguins...

I've been on here for years and years but am not the most prolific of posters but I read a lot and I think my secret has been is that I rarely remember people names or handles etc and it's all non personal to me. Even the ones who have a crack, Just names on a screen, dont think I've ever bothered with a tit for tat exchange that went for more than a message or two occasionally.

That said, Mark was one of the few posters I did always remember and enjoyed his balanced approach and always felt he was a positive & informative sort of guy. Part of the fabric of the site in my eyes. Sad to see him go ( for now ) and genuinely hope he'll be back.

If people aren't disagreeing with you then you probably aren't saying much at all. That's my outlook on life.

Hope he comes back for 2024 just like our team.

It's time for me to also step away from the forum. I've got a posthumous album to write anyway, but I was the "gutless" person that "allegedly" questioned Mark's mental health, even though that's not what happened at all...

I've been reading Mark's posts for years and think of him as epitomising everything that's great about this forum. He's far and away my favourite poster on here because he has always seemed so down to earth. Mark would relay his off-grid-on-again travels and talk about the glory days when he was involved in the club, and he never spoke a bad word or got personal with anyone. He is relatable and just a decent human being.

Then I started noticing a shift in the tone of his posts the last few months and could sense him getting frustrated. So I inadvertently asked if he was all good because he was swearing and arguing like I had never seen from him and it obviously got taken the wrong way; which surprises me because he referred to it as the 'last straw' which indicates to me that my perceptions were indeed correct and the state of forum was getting to him.

The last straw for me is we've got people that are absolutely giving it to the club deluxe and some of our best players that try their backsides off (e.g., Garrick), but go in to bat for Josh Schuster?! That's some of the most 'far out' thinking I have ever come across 😂 I'm all for sharing opinions, but that is a bridge too far for me.

Mark can come back now and I will see myself out.

It's time for me to also step away from the forum. I've got a posthumous album to write anyway, but I was the "gutless" person that "allegedly" questioned Mark's mental health, even though that's not what happened at all...

I've been reading Mark's posts for years and think of him as epitomising everything that's great about this forum. He's far and away my favourite poster on here because he has always seemed so down to earth. Mark would relay his off-grid-on-again travels and talk about the glory days when he was involved in the club, and he never spoke a bad word or got personal with anyone. He is relatable and just a decent human being.

Then I started noticing a shift in the tone of his posts the last few months and could sense him getting frustrated. So I inadvertently asked if he was all good because he was swearing and arguing like I had never seen from him and it obviously got taken the wrong way; which surprises me because he referred to it as the 'last straw' which indicates to me that my perceptions were indeed correct and the state of forum was getting to him.

The last straw for me is we've got people that are absolutely giving it to the club deluxe and some of our best players that try their backsides off (e.g., Garrick), but go in to bat for Josh Schuster?! That's some of the most 'far out' thinking I have ever come across 😂 I'm all for sharing opinions, but that is a bridge too far for me.

Great post, I like your attitude mate, both honest and wishing to avoid (or remediate) any offence. I personally hope both you and Mark stay with the forum, you both contribute heaps.

It has been a bit of a disappointing year - maybe by the end of it we will all need a two-week mental health sabbatical from rugby league!

Great post, I like your attitude mate, both honest and wishing to avoid (or remediate) any offence. I personally hope both you and Mark stay with the forum, you both contribute heaps.

It has been a bit of a disappointing year - maybe by the end of it we will all need a two-week mental health sabbatical from rugby league!
Well said
For sure a generally disappointing season but seasons come and go and life goes on
Always next season as my loyal Manly supporter father used to often say .
Maybe Blacktown can finish on a real high and do something really good in the finals
Presuming that they can actually make them

Not sure if you have played much footy in your day but you certainly do seem to have a good and insightful understanding of the more technical and playing side modes of the game .
Would be a real shame if you opted out for any extended time as well .
WAS a bit remiss of me to not refer to Shoe one also as missing in action for quite some time now .Used to be as prolific and interesting a poster as Mark from Brisbane for a long time .

Anyone else.finally cracked after this thread, and feel forced into what to say, think and feel now? I'm not comfortable anymore being honest and/or truthful in these threads.

Kudos and congratulations guys, you've literally done it. I'm sure there are many others in my boat who are now feeling the same way (but won't say anything).

You'll be getting a fake version of people fearful that they have to please everyone by saying only positive things , regardless of form. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's sensibilities and feelings.

Last edited:

I think I recall that post @LeonardCohen and admit I took it a similar way. I too had noticed a shift in some of MFB posts - and I think that’s a bit of the point and an example of how the place had been heading of late. Anyway hope you guys have a good break away and come back fired up for a good shot next year. I’ll be tuning out pretty soon as well as I drift over to The Jungle (Jax Jaguars NFL forum). Cheers

Anyone else.finally cracked after this thread, and feel forced into what to say, think and feel now? I'm not comfortable anymore being honest and/or truthful in these threads.

Kudos and congratulations guys, you've literally done it. I'm sure there are many others in my boat who are now feeling the same way (but won't say anything).

You'll be getting a fake version of people fearful that they have to please everyone by saying only positive things , regardless of form. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's sensibilities and feelings.
my biggest sin is my opinion on DCE. A few weeks back i did a positive spin on him after a great game against the riff. Even pointed myself out as being wrong and still copped it . It took me back a bit to be honest as it was personal

but ultimately it just hardens my resolve somewhat because its not my problem. its theirs

hang in there dude

I think I recall that post @LeonardCohen and admit I took it a similar way. I too had noticed a shift in some of MFB posts - and I think that’s a bit of the point and an example of how the place had been heading of late. Anyway hope you guys have a good break away and come back fired up for a good shot next year. I’ll be tuning out pretty soon as well as I drift over to The Jungle (Jax Jaguars NFL forum). Cheers
Same, could have been the straw that broke the camels back. I probably had the same moment with @Thewestisbest and i cracked it too hard

sorry again dude, your timing was just bad after feeling the heat for some time and i over reacted. My bad

Hang in there Ryan . You have as much to offer in whatever way you feel comfortable in expressing as anyone else on here

I'd love to know when the actual culture changed some time after 2011, and what was the catalyst.

I've always wondered what we'd be like if Des ORIGINALLY stayed, Penn backed him, didn't enforce contract benchmarks and all that.

It was literally winning is the only acceptable outcome at that time. The team was ruthless. The fans demanded only the best. Jeez, the recruitment was ruthless. Remember the train of talent? Shane Rodney, Steven Bell, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Ben Kennedy, Brent Kite, Matt Orford, Matt Ballin, surrounded by guys like the Stewart's, Matais (who we found - who found Matai?), and many others?

The culture and our identity has changed. Maybe working out what tangibly changed it, we can then address it?

Hope that's not too negative for people?
It changed with Penn ,full stop.

Consider ... if you leave ... the only beneficiaries will be the numbnuts ...

Pss .. I'm certain Mark will accept your explanation ...

This is one of my fav movies. It makes fun of that invisible line I guess. 😂

1692662742913.png

Yep 100%.

I won't be offering much going forward, unless its sunshine and lollipops, especially in the Match day thread.

I don't mind fierce debate between posters.

Or negativity about our performances - let's face it, the team isn't where we want them to be.

We absolutely need to see both sides of the spectrum on ST, and given the last couple of seasons alone it is expected to drift more into the negative than positive.

I guess I'm just trying to enjoy what positives we can take out of the season (e.g. DCE's form, Saab's growth (please no to the boxing!), the team's fight over the last few matches compared the capitulations last season - to name a few) but yeah it sucks that in another two weeks we're at the end of another season and we are as far away from a premiership as we've ever been.

The people that are on silvertails for the right reasons always shine through; they're the ones that got me reading in the first place, then after a few years they convinced me through their discussions and debate and (sometimes dubious) humour that maybe it would be nice to join up, then after a few more months I jumped in and started posting.

I've noticed there are some posters that have been saying they'll change their tone and the way they post - I think it's ones that have been strangely quiet in this debate that maybe need to think about how they interact with others, not you.

I find the constant negativity & repetitive personal insults a bit much.

How many times do we need to tear that “Spoonbold” has no idea & is going to take us to our first wooden spoon?

How many times do we need to hear that “Spoonbold is proud” of the boys? I’ve read that on here more times than he has actually said it.

Constructive criticism is fine, but thread upon thread containing page upon page of the above & similar is just sickening.

my biggest sin is my opinion on DCE. A few weeks back i did a positive spin on him after a great game against the riff. Even pointed myself out as being wrong and still copped it . It took me back a bit to be honest as it was personal

but ultimately it just hardens my resolve somewhat because its not my problem. its theirs

hang in there dude
As I said at the time, apologies if I interpreted your take too harshly…

It was just an observation and I certainly did not mean for it to have any significant impact on your postings… generally I enjoy reading your contributions, we just are polar opposites on whether Chez is good value to the squad (or not)…

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10