[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Im not anti Des BUT let’s face some facts.

Unlike our defence structures of the glory years we currently have one of the worst defensive teams in the game.

Our attack and kicking game is very weak, maybe only the three below us are worse, our standard “ chuck it to Tommy” may have worked last year but in the few games he played this year he was well nullified.

Our team selections each week are a joke , we all whinge about it each Tuesday , the only way a young player gets a run is when there’s simply no one else.

Our use of the bench borders on the ridiculous, player 17 often gets 5 minutes, why bother even playing them.

Our coach doesn’t seem to have adapted well to the way the modern game is played , living in the past springs to mind.

Does our coach take any notice of his assistants OR are the assistants just there to run drills and warm ups ( this I don’t know but it seems like he doesn’t ).

Our coach is a Manly legend and should forever be respected for his playing days and his coaching in the decade of dominance BUT it’s clear to me he’s at his used by date.

Exactly the same thing happened at the Bulldogs , EXACTLY. Surrounds himself with his mates , Cleal , Donny et al, all past their own use by dates.

There’s that famous saying in business “ doing the same thing day after day and expecting different results is for fools “.

Please do not take my comments of Des that I don’t respect him , I do , but my view is a change will be as good as a holiday!

The nsw cup team came last, Des did pretty good given the lack of depth. For mine its a poorly managed salary cap and having too many reserve graders in the starting side kind of problem. Also, too much poaching from the cellar dwellers. Give des a decent team to work with and i reckon we are top 4.

The nsw cup team came last, Des did pretty good given the lack of depth. For mine its a poorly managed salary cap and having too many reserve graders in the starting side kind of problem. Also, too much poaching from the cellar dwellers. Give des a decent team to work with and i reckon we are top 4.

Didn't Des build this team?

It concerns me that I am agreeing with someone with the IQ of a Lima bean!

Just sayin’

I've suggested many options, many times mate.

1. Anthony Seibold (Manly DNA). Coached the bunnies (who had just sacked their coach) to a 3rd placed finish in 2018. He followed that up in 2019 coaching The Broncos (who had just sacked their coach), and also got them to the finals. 2020 The Broncos collapsed (and he quit mid season).

2. The Walker Brothers (Manly DNA). Wayne Bennett challenged them to find a club that was completely under water & never had success, and turn that club around. They went to Ipswich Jets, and delivered them their first ever premiership ever. They have a new and unique way of coaching (dual input). The Jets performed (according to the media sources I've seen) in a high risk, high reward attacking structure type strategy.

3. Cooper Cronk. The guys blood is made of football material. Has heaps of footy IQ, is well considered around the league. Is great with the media. Would have good contacts for potential player acquisitions. Could possibly come in as an assistant to someone, and be part of some succession planning?

4 .I did mention Kristian Woolf previously, prior to Bennett snapping him up as part of the Dolphins succession planning. No point talking about his assets and what he could bring.

5. A smokey, like John Morris. His record speaks for itself. His players bought in. Kind of sad that he didn't get the gig at Cronulla. In his two seasons at The Sharks they made the finals both years. In 2021, they decided to move on from him (unfortunately).

6. Speaking of Sharks - Shane Flannagan. Okay, was involved in some pretty under handed tactics, but he also won a premiership. 64% winning ratio in his second stint with the Sharks, delivered their first premiership. For the record, those numbers would make him the 8th best coach in history (alongside Trent Robinson) statistically.

7. Geoff Toovey. We built bridges with Des. Why can't we do it with Tooves? 58.1% win ratio over his career as a coach. He might get on famously with Tony Mestrov. You could do worse than having him involved with the club again as a head, or assistant coach.

8. The rest. Billy Slater, Brad Fittler (both would have contacts and would likely bring in marquee players), Josh Hannay, Mick Potter etc.

9. Look at the coaches in the U.K. for their best and most consistent. Surround them with a culmination of the above.

And I've just scratched the surface here. I could write 100 pages of the stuff. And people say what other options are there - hahaha.
10. Santa Claus.

11. Easter Bunny

13. Loch Ness Monster

• 😆
Reactions: Ned

Mate ...

1) Only about 1 player in our top 30 ever played NSW this year ... so no reflection on depth whatsoever

2) Give Des a decent team? .. Dessie has spent the last 4 years and our entire salary cap building exactly THIS team ..

Maybe Des has been reluctant to blood a lot of the youngsters because so many of them are managed by Tartak & Tartak is mates with the Fultons?

We've already seen what the Tartak power bloc is capable of if they're not happy (agitating for Schuster to oust Foran, sitting out Inclusivity round).

Maybe Des has been trying to delay what (unfortunately) appears inevitable?

Mate ...

1) Only about 1 player in our top 30 ever played NSW this year ... so no reflection on depth whatsoever

2) Give Des a decent team? .. Dessie has spent the last 4 years and our entire salary cap building exactly THIS team ..
Exactly, When you have 7 or 8 1st Graders out , they come from the feeder club. Although there was many occasions where some of our players listed on Tuesday ( Players 19 - 22 ) never played for Blacktown. Although they were probably injured !

Should change this thread to DES the scapegoat.

100% agree that he has some faults and appears to make some weird decisions at times.
But he is by far the best option to coach Manly. Just consider what he has had to put up with this year? A shambles of a back office. Pride gate and all the injuries etc ( though he may have a small amount of influence in that space) and then to add to it the recent court trial. I will never forget when he fronted the media on the pride gate saga. Did a Stella job defending something he did not do. This would have sent most coaches running for the hills.
Oh well….I know deep down that rugby league has become a very fickle sport to follow.
If we lose Des ( which I doubt as this is mainly media hyperbole) we will become like the bulldogs were over the last few years and will definitely have lots to cry about on the forum…

Should change this thread to DES the scapegoat.

100% agree that he has some faults and appears to make some weird decisions at times.
But he is by far the best option to coach Manly. Just consider what he has had to put up with this year? A shambles of a back office. Pride gate and all the injuries etc ( though he may have a small amount of influence in that space) and then to add to it the recent court trial. I will never forget when he fronted the media on the pride gate saga. Did a Stella job defending something he did not do. This would have sent most coaches running for the hills.
Oh well….I know deep down that rugby league has become a very fickle sport to follow.
If we lose Des ( which I doubt as this is mainly media hyperbole) we will become like the bulldogs were over the last few years and will definitely have lots to cry about on the forum…

WOW ... and I thought the Silvertail's mantra was ... "no excuses"

I've suggested many options, many times mate.

1. Anthony Seibold (Manly DNA). Coached the bunnies (who had just sacked their coach) to a 3rd placed finish in 2018. He followed that up in 2019 coaching The Broncos (who had just sacked their coach), and also got them to the finals. 2020 The Broncos collapsed (and he quit mid season).

2. The Walker Brothers (Manly DNA). Wayne Bennett challenged them to find a club that was completely under water & never had success, and turn that club around. They went to Ipswich Jets, and delivered them their first ever premiership ever. They have a new and unique way of coaching (dual input). The Jets performed (according to the media sources I've seen) in a high risk, high reward attacking structure type strategy.

3. Cooper Cronk. The guys blood is made of football material. Has heaps of footy IQ, is well considered around the league. Is great with the media. Would have good contacts for potential player acquisitions. Could possibly come in as an assistant to someone, and be part of some succession planning?

4 .I did mention Kristian Woolf previously, prior to Bennett snapping him up as part of the Dolphins succession planning. No point talking about his assets and what he could bring.

5. A smokey, like John Morris. His record speaks for itself. His players bought in. Kind of sad that he didn't get the gig at Cronulla. In his two seasons at The Sharks they made the finals both years. In 2021, they decided to move on from him (unfortunately).

6. Speaking of Sharks - Shane Flannagan. Okay, was involved in some pretty under handed tactics, but he also won a premiership. 64% winning ratio in his second stint with the Sharks, delivered their first premiership. For the record, those numbers would make him the 8th best coach in history (alongside Trent Robinson) statistically.

7. Geoff Toovey. We built bridges with Des. Why can't we do it with Tooves? 58.1% win ratio over his career as a coach. He might get on famously with Tony Mestrov. You could do worse than having him involved with the club again as a head, or assistant coach.

8. The rest. Billy Slater, Brad Fittler (both would have contacts and would likely bring in marquee players), Josh Hannay, Mick Potter etc.

9. Look at the coaches in the U.K. for their best and most consistent. Surround them with a culmination of the above.

And I've just scratched the surface here. I could write 100 pages of the stuff. And people say what other options are there - hahaha.
Ryan... you missed the point - which SUCCESSFUL coach who will actually come to Manly are we replacing him with? That list is just a list of generally unsuccessful and untried coaches. The ONLY successful coach with NRL experience on there is Flannagan. John Morris and Toovey (no way they have Toovey back I guess) are the only realistic options. And so people like me say to this Hans Christian Andersen list....there are no options or limited options. As usual my friend you are off with the fairies.

Funny but from what I’m hearing most !!

I’ve never said I had the magic fix , I’m simply reporting that not all is well at “ camp sea eagles “.
Well what I would suggest is maybe the Boycott 10 and to me I wouldn't give a cup of cold water for that lot. I think Tom in the article today shot your suggestions down in flames.

Not resigning Foran was a sure sign of the power struggle. Foran respects Des like a second father and that is reciprocated by Des. Letting Foran go meant Des's power base in the playing group was also fragmented.

Im not anti Des BUT let’s face some facts.

Unlike our defence structures of the glory years we currently have one of the worst defensive teams in the game.

Our attack and kicking game is very weak, maybe only the three below us are worse, our standard “ chuck it to Tommy” may have worked last year but in the few games he played this year he was well nullified.

Our team selections each week are a joke , we all whinge about it each Tuesday , the only way a young player gets a run is when there’s simply no one else.

Our use of the bench borders on the ridiculous, player 17 often gets 5 minutes, why bother even playing them.

Our coach doesn’t seem to have adapted well to the way the modern game is played , living in the past springs to mind.

Does our coach take any notice of his assistants OR are the assistants just there to run drills and warm ups ( this I don’t know but it seems like he doesn’t ).

Our coach is a Manly legend and should forever be respected for his playing days and his coaching in the decade of dominance BUT it’s clear to me he’s at his used by date.

Exactly the same thing happened at the Bulldogs , EXACTLY. Surrounds himself with his mates , Cleal , Donny et al, all past their own use by dates.

There’s that famous saying in business “ doing the same thing day after day and expecting different results is for fools “.

Please do not take my comments of Des that I don’t respect him , I do , but my view is a change will be as good as a holiday!
Well said I respect Des, I want him to bring us back to where we belong contending in the top 4 and being known as club teams fear to play.

I just don't see the same desire as he once had and we as club have not improved in his second stint, yes we haved some good results and yes this year a lot of it is not his doing but he has had long enough to at least see progress I just haven't seen it.

If the club wants to keep him fine for 2023 but I just wouldn't be renewing him. I want Des to do well and lead us deep into the finals next year but I just don't see how this will happen next year.

Last edited:
Maybe Des has been reluctant to blood a lot of the youngsters because so many of them are managed by Tartak & Tartak is mates with the Fultons?

We've already seen what the Tartak power bloc is capable of if they're not happy (agitating for Schuster to oust Foran, sitting out Inclusivity round).

Maybe Des has been trying to delay what (unfortunately) appears inevitable?
is that what is being credited with as to why they sat out the rainbow jersey ? i.e the
Tartak block of players or is that just coincidence that they are all mormons ,wow what a mess

I believe last seasons success was based off the fact turbo had a career best season and carried the team on his back to be fair!

There wasn't a plan outside of pass it to Tommy

Well what I would suggest is maybe the Boycott 10 and to me I wouldn't give a cup of cold water for that lot. I think Tom in the article today shot your suggestions down in flames.
To be honest would you expect the Turbo’s to say anything else , even if they thought differently ??

Again I say not necessarily my opinion just a tiny bit of inside information I’m being fed which I’m passing on SO no need to shoot the messenger.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8