PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Warriors v Manly [Round 5, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don't call me Shirley. But even if AFB and others are out, I can't see us matching the Warriors in skill or effort. We might improve a little but I doubt we'll improve enough.
Hey guy's, I've been a Manly supporter since the 80s. Warriors supporter since 95 by default lol.

Just a few things to touch on.

Kane Evans looked good this weekend in the reggies. Battling a minor injury which he looks to be over. Will come in for AFB.
Young Tom Ale may debut. Pocket battleship in the mould of Jason Taumalolo.

We may also see young Paul Turner on the bench. Turner is electric on his feet. As fast as any of our backs. Steps like RTS. With a nice passing game.
He is slated as a half. But does not have a kicking game that I have seen. At the moment, Is seen as a utility.

Losing AFB is huge for us. Bunty also with his no fear chargers.
Our backs are way out of form. No cohesion.
O'Sullivan is going alright for someone with no speed lol. He tries hard, Has a alright kicking game & is doing alright guiding us around the park.

Kodi is awesome for us when he runs.
Puts us on the front foot and the rest follow his lead. But that's when he can be bothered. Which is rarely this year.

With AFB & Bunty gone Manly have to much experience and power for the Warriors. Taupau, Jake , Paseka if they put in maximum effort will beat us up lol. Jake always does. Taupau & Paseka need to show a little heart & mongrel. Have been disappointed with them this season.

Daly is better than both of our halves & Hooker combined.

Our backline regardless of where we are on the ladder is deceiving. Confidence wise, They are shot.
Warriors are to reliant on having giant wings make our yards. Which they do. But nothing else

Fusitua is 6ft3 106kg. Maumalo is 6ft5 112kg. Pompey who is a center/wing is 6ft3 and over a 100kg also. The game is to fast to have a backline full of giants these days. They are also way out of form & lack confidence.

I say Manly have it over them all over the park right now. The pack , Halves & backs.
We've managed wins on the back of AFB & Rts. Plus Kodi when he decides to run.

Manly 13 plus. But if our Backs wake up and show some heart & form. It will be a tight game.

Cheers.

Hey guy's, I've been a Manly supporter since the 80s. Warriors supporter since 95 by default lol.

Just a few things to touch on.

Kane Evans looked good this weekend in the reggies. Battling a minor injury which he looks to be over. Will come in for AFB.
Young Tom Ale may debut. Pocket battleship in the mould of Jason Taumalolo.

We may also see young Paul Turner on the bench. Turner is electric on his feet. As fast as any of our backs. Steps like RTS. With a nice passing game.
He is slated as a half. But does not have a kicking game that I have seen. At the moment, Is seen as a utility.

Losing AFB is huge for us. Bunty also with his no fear chargers.
Our backs are way out of form. No cohesion.
O'Sullivan is going alright for someone with no speed lol. He tries hard, Has a alright kicking game & is doing alright guiding us around the park.

Kodi is awesome for us when he runs.
Puts us on the front foot and the rest follow his lead. But that's when he can be bothered. Which is rarely this year.

With AFB & Bunty gone Manly have to much experience and power for the Warriors. Taupau, Jake , Paseka if they put in maximum effort will beat us up lol. Jake always does. Taupau & Paseka need to show a little heart & mongrel. Have been disappointed with them this season.

Daly is better than both of our halves & Hooker combined.

Our backline regardless of where we are on the ladder is deceiving. Confidence wise, They are shot.
Warriors are to reliant on having giant wings make our yards. Which they do. But nothing else

Fusitua is 6ft3 106kg. Maumalo is 6ft5 112kg. Pompey who is a center/wing is 6ft3 and over a 100kg also. The game is to fast to have a backline full of giants these days. They are also way out of form & lack confidence.

I say Manly have it over them all over the park right now. The pack , Halves & backs.
We've managed wins on the back of AFB & Rts. Plus Kodi when he decides to run.

Manly 13 plus. But if our Backs wake up and show some heart & form. It will be a tight game.

Cheers.
Good information in your post.

I like the look of Turner, surprised he did both get the gig at number 7 when CHT went down injured.

I expect a disjointed Warriors to good for us on Friday, fingers crossed you are correct.

‘I always seem to be the scapegoat’: Walker staying put at fullback​

If Walker wants another week at FB, I guess opposing RTS would be an ideal challenge for him to prove his worth/play for this future. It remains to be seen if he succeeds...

As for a scapegoat, he perceives himself to be the scapegoat but imo Walker isn't. He's done a reasonable job playing out of position and doesn't deserve to be blamed.

Last edited:
Good information in your post.

I like the look of Turner, surprised he did both get the gig at number 7 when CHT went down injured.

I expect a disjointed Warriors to good for us on Friday, fingers crossed you are correct.
Turner is a bright prospect. But has no kicking game that we've seen. He's a running half with a handy short & long passing game. Can't see him & Kodi together. 2 running, off the cuff halves and no organisation at all lol. That's if Kodi runs.

I'm enjoying O'Sullivan. He's not the fastest guy. But he does everything our so called star halves haven't been doing. Always in support of our big boys who can get offloads away. Runs into holes instead of trying to run over players like most our team. Committed in defense. And stares the team around the park nicely.

He's not a half most teams would want. But someone our team needs right now. Slow & steady wins the race. Not that we going to win much races lol.

If Walker wants another week at FB, I guess opposing RTS would be an ideal challenge for him to prove his worth/play for this future. It remains to be seen if he succeeds...

As for a scapegoat, he perceives himself to be the scapegoat but imo Walker's isn't. He's done a reasonable job playing out of position and doesn't deserve to be blamed.
If everyone in the team had the same desire and effort levels of Walker on the field we wouldn’t have been flogged like we have been.

I’ve got a feeling it will be a close game, one I think we can even win. The warriors fell away badly against the rorters last week, particularly noticeable after Adin left the field, there without him again this weekend and the others as mentioned, their loss of confidence across the backline is evident as Mase pointed out, of all the NRL sides, I think the warriors have been through the worst of things due to covid, last year and again the start to this year, so maybe it’s catching up with them, all fit and all firing I wouldn’t give us much hope at the moment, but on the back of the warriors own issues and with our team copping some stick, I think there is a glimmer of hope they can find something this weekend, starting well will be everything, if the warriors get on top early we are too use to dropping our heads and giving in, it’s become systemic, so if and it’s a big if, we can start well and stay in the grind on top of some early points, then I give us a chance.
I’m not sure if it’s eternal optimism, or that I just want to see us win a game that makes me say it, this weekend will be our best chance to make a difference to our season moving forward, I hope they realise it and take full advantage, if they throw up more of the same crap it will be a long season, I have some hope we can get the 2 this w/e and get off the bottom, cause there’s no way the dogs will get 2 this w/e, they seriously face another week without scoring and personally I’m looking forward to it,

Poss already been posted, if so .... like totes w/e

Warriors' injuries.

The Warriors will be without Peta Hiku until about round seven after the veteran picked up a knee injury against the Raiders in round three.

Addin Fonua-Blake came off early against the Roosters with a knee injury and is not expected to face Manly in round five.

• Addin Fonua-Blake (knee, TBA)
  • Jamayne Taunoa-Brown (suspension, round 6)
  • Peta Hiku (knee, round 7)
  • Euan Aitken (ankle, round 9-11)
  • Chanel Harris-Tavita (foot, round 13-14)

And our band of merry bandages:

Manly Sea Eagles
Morgan Boyle suffered a shoulder dislocation in Thursday's clash with Penrith but Manly medical staff were able to put it straight back into place. Moses Suli left the field after copping a knee to the lower back on Thursday night.

Morgan Boyle (shoulder, TBA)
Moses Suli (back, TBA)
Haumole Olakau'atu (elbow, round 5)
Tom Trbojevic (hamstring, round 5-6)
Jorge Taufua (Achilles, round 5-6)
Curtis Sironen (knee, round 6-8)
Karl Lawton (Achilles, round 11-12)
Andrew Davey (knee, season)
Manase Fainu (stood down, indefinite)

nrl.con

No AFB
No Bunty Afoa
No Tevita Harris
No Aitken
We are getting them at a good time but I still have plenty of doubts
They might be missing a lot of experience but we have been missing a lot of resilience

Unless Des gets resilience back in our team so we can start competing instead of capitulating we wont be beating any one

When was the last time our Manly team competed in a game ?

Against the bottom of the table dogs last season .

Des is a high profile coach and a Manly legend . You would think his players would be inspired by his Great aura and rise above their weight and run through brick walls for him ?

Wow what an article. Not sure what to make of that. Doesn't sound like a very happy team environment.
Yikes that's a worry.

If its within the team then it needs to get sorted immediately, but if its just Walker hearing idiot punter opinions - none of the team should be paying any attention to them whatsoever. Also a team culture issue

This week is becoming a dilemma.
I always want Manly to win but a loss is probably the better long term result.

Hasler chooses the same team (i.e. Croker, Garrick, Parker, Goseweiski) and they win, then those same idiot no hopers stay in the team for another 4/5 rounds.
Worse still the pressure to sack Hasler gets released.

We are better off losing 9/10 in a row, Hasler gets sacked and the new coach culls all the deadwood.

We then win a lot of games in the backend of the season and avoid the spoon and start 2022 with a new coach and a re-invigorated squad.

We may need to lose a few more battles to win the war.

And Rubes says the players can put it all behind them

Words will not resolve this but only a resilient effort will

Our players are playing like amature teenage boys

After 5 minutes of energy it is all over . That is all we ever get these days

What an anti climax !

A Great team is like a Great sex partner . You need to hang in their long enough and ware your opponent out and leave them out on their feet .

Come on Des , Try something different for Gods sake !

Last edited:
Tackling practice and defensive drills is all the team should be doing this week. Bugger the film, bugger everything else. Get your defence right and the rest will come.

In a non-related rant, I wonder what that creepy "mind coach" Des used to use, John Novak, is up to these days?

Tackling practice and defensive drills is all the team should be doing this week. Bugger the film, bugger everything else. Get your defence right and the rest will come.

In a non-related rant, I wonder what that creepy "mind coach" Des used to use, John Novak, is up to these days?
I saw some stats ( which often don’t tell all the story ) in the last few days suggesting we were competing reasonably well in some areas but failing miserably in defence and handovers due to errors.

So yes that is indeed where they should be focusing on.

This week is becoming a dilemma.
I always want Manly to win but a loss is probably the better long term result.

Hasler chooses the same team (i.e. Croker, Garrick, Parker, Goseweiski) and they win, then those same idiot no hopers stay in the team for another 4/5 rounds.
Worse still the pressure to sack Hasler gets released.

We are better off losing 9/10 in a row, Hasler gets sacked and the new coach culls all the deadwood.

We then win a lot of games in the backend of the season and avoid the spoon and start 2022 with a new coach and a re-invigorated squad.

We may need to lose a few more battles to win the war.
Or we lose 9-10 atraight, Hasler still stays, Walker/Sirro/Garrick/Parker/Jetski are all re-signed and we continue to sail full-steam at the iceberg (which somewhat resembles a spoon)...

...all of which seems very likely at this point...

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8