Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly right. You don’t have to accept their views, they’re not forcing that upon anyone.

But it is utterly disgusting some of of the vile comments on here slamming those players. Why is the lie not blaming more with the club who sprung it on everyone.

This could’ve been done collectively in a different manner, there was no need to touch the jersey. There is other ways stuff like this can be achieved.
Instead rose face Penn comes out of it scott free. Living in New York has turned him into one of the woke. And he will find out the hard way that if you go woke, you go broke.

I think the general consensus is that the club is to blame.

Rightly or wrongly, these 7 are also to blame in some capacity for their stance. Should they have been put in this position? Absolutely not. But they are still choosing to make a stance that is questionable in modern society, and is somewhat hypocritical in relation to other aspects of their belief system.

There is no doubt that this is a clusterf*ck from the Management of our club. Penn is not a leader, and the quicker he sells the better off we'll be.

Why is the lie not blaming more with the club who sprung it on everyone.

This could’ve been done collectively in a different manner, there was no need to touch the jersey. There is other ways stuff like this can be achieved.
No matter what "side" you come down on, I think it's universally accepted that the club bears most of the responsibility for this entire fiasco. They could not have handled it more poorly if they tried. Nobody is questioning that.

But that doesn't absolve the players of responsibility for their actions. I've read people saying that their response was "forced" upon them. Really? They went from seeing a jersey with rainbow stripes on it to refusing to play for the club in a heartbeat. Was there really no other way? No other way to voice their disapproval? No other way to present their message, whatever that might be, in a more positive light? Could they not take a breath, voice their concerns, and ask the club, the RLPA and the NRL to work with them and come up with a solution?

So if you're looking for "other ways", look to the players as well.

No matter what "side" you come down on, I think it's universally accepted that the club bears most of the responsibility for this entire fiasco. They could not have handled it more poorly if they tried. Nobody is questioning that.

But that doesn't absolve the players of responsibility for their actions. I've read people saying that their response was "forced" upon them. Really? They went from seeing a jersey with rainbow stripes on it to refusing to play for the club in a heartbeat. Was there really no other way? No other way to voice their disapproval? No other way to present their message, whatever that might be, in a more positive light? Could they not take a breath, voice their concerns, and ask the club, the RLPA and the NRL to work with them and come up with a solution?

Put yourself in their shoes. They are very devout religious people. They play for their culture and their families they are the most dedicated and humble human beings.
Would you want to let your family down if you were in their position. It is very easy for you to say “just wear the jersey” but if they did they’d be representing a cause that their religion and culture does not support.
They haven’t said anything harmful to anyone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This... well said....

Probably the player I am most disappointed in is Aloiai. Josh talks up gratitude and loyalty for his club, and his new contract. He talks up pride in the team he plays for. He did this at the Tigers too. Well I can see now, as others have said before about him, he's full of ****

Put yourself in their shoes. They are very devout religious people. They play for their culture and their families they are the most dedicated and humble human beings.
Would you want to let your family down if you were in their position. It is very easy for you to say “just wear the jersey” but if they did they’d be representing a cause that their religion and culture does not support.
They haven’t said anything harmful to anyone.
They also play for money, paid to them by the club they represent. And I would hope that, as well as not wanting to let down their families, they also didn't want to let down their teammates and their club.

Nobody is doubting their beliefs or the right to hold them. Nobody is asking them to stop being devout religious people. They are being asked to wear a Manly jersey. If they want to make it clear that they don't endorse the "message" that is on that jersey (for one round) and why they don't endorse it, they are free to do so.

What I don’t understand is why didn’t the team just wear the normal jersey? There was a big game to win to keep in the semis race. Why didn’t we just abandon the marketing campaign?

For those who don't think that this is political...well guess what. Our PM has weighed in on this fracas.

I know you put this up as reference , but please never mention his name on this site , lo lol lol
I dont want his support .

We can sit here and say the club made a monumental f'up in trying to do something positive, however, it becomes a very slippery slope when the operations of the club need to be run-by people such as Jason Saab and Tolutau Koula in the off chance they don't approve and want to use that gun barrel of theirs.

Probably the player I am most disappointed in is Aloiai. Josh talks up gratitude and loyalty for his club, and his new contract. He talks up pride in the team he plays for. He did this at the Tigers too. Well I can see now, as others have said before about him, he's full of ****
And, with zero evidence I admit, I have a sneaking suspicion he is behind the whole thing. Seven people do not take an action like this without a leader.

Yes no-one doubts they play for their culture and their families, and they are dedicated and humble humans. All very commendable.

But to simply brush it off as "they are very devout religious people" hides the key fact here: they have point-blank refused to say the game is for all. They do not want the game to be for all. It goes against their religion or culture. They simply do not want LGBTI+ people to be welcome.

The reason is obvious, in their home countries homosexuality is still a crime against the law, and even worse, a violation of nature and an affront to God.

So what do you imagine they think of Ian Roberts?

I do feel for the incredible pressures they are now under. They didn't bring the issue to a head, and the issue should never have come up in this way, but I don't think any of them can honestly say they didn't know the NRL had inclusive values when they asked to be in it. I fully expect that is in every contract they signed.

These players and their families and communities are so welcome in this country, but do we want them dictating who is allowed in the game? Or who is to be shunned in the community? No, it is them who should be questioning their values, and it is organisations such as the NRL, not to mention our govts, who should be doing more to facilitate resolution of this serious culture clash.

...to simply brush it off as "they are very devout religious people" hides the key fact here: they have point-blank refused to say the game is for all. They do not want the game to be for all. It goes against their religion or culture. They simply do not want LGBTI+ people to be welcome.

This exactly. If these players were anyone else in society they would be hung, drawn and quartered.

However, many here believe we are to sit and sympathise with their bigotry and hate purely on the basis that 1. They are Polynesian and 2. They are religious.

Cut the two excuses out and judge the action. Its weak, immoral and quite simply selfish.

And, with zero evidence I admit, I have a sneaking suspicion he is behind the whole thing. Seven people do not take an action like this without a leader.

I did read that the 3 players that were considering a backflip (as reported yesterday) were eventually convinced to 'stick with the boys' by Aloiai. If true, it's pretty appalling that he forced his beliefs onto players that had a change of heart and shows his loyalty is not to the team.

Manly Sea Eagles: The inside story of the Pride jersey that has divided a club

The inside story of how the Pride jersey that has divided a club, arrived on Hugh Jackman’s doorstep and hijacked a different worthy cause.

About two weeks ago, one of Manly’s Pride jerseys arrived on the doorstep of A-lister Hugh Jackman.

The Sea Eagles super-fan had agreed to help promote Thursday night’s game against the Sydney Roosters to help out his great mate, Sydney radio star Gus Worland, whose long campaign to have Gotcha4Life involved in a Manly-Roosters game was about to come to fruition.

At the same time Jackman was slipping into his Sea Eagles jersey, Chris Hemsworth was likely trying on one as well.

Manly had also sent the Thor star a jersey in preparation for him to come to Thursday night’s game at 4 Pines Park as a guest of former Sea Eagles player Ian Roberts — the pair have been working on the set of the new Mad Max movie.

1658876021072.png

Jackman, who is noticeably pointing at the Gotcha4Life logo in the picture obtained by News Corp, and Hemsworth had generously offered their support to Worland and Roberts in the lead-up to a game that was meant to be a night of celebration for two of their close friends.

That very celebration is now in danger of being consumed by outrage and controversy following the decision by seven players to stand down rather than wear the same jersey that Jackman wore with a beaming smile on his face.

Manly are a club in crisis and the remarkable thing is that it has been more than a year in the making. News Corp understands that Manly’s apparel sponsor — Dynasty — first contacted the club last year about wearing a pride jersey, which officials insist was designed to honour inclusivity.

It is understood that Cronulla, another of Dynasty’s clients, was approached at the same time about the rainbow concept but declined because they already had too many jersey designs on the market.

Manly initially demurred as well but News Corp understands that when they were approached again earlier this year, they agreed to the new design, which features rainbow colours where there is normally white space on the jersey, to coincide with Women in League round.

Sources close to the club insist the Sea Eagles commercial team’s first stop was with the football department, to ensure they had no issues with the concept.

It is understood the football department raised no concerns, albeit having failed to raise the issue with the playing group.

“You don’t do anything unless you know footy is sweet with it,” one Manly insider told The News Corp.

The next stop for Manly was the NRL and their licensing department, who News Corp understands made changes to the initial design.

Their issue wasn’t with the rainbow design, but rather with the placement of the Gotcha4Life logo that will be on the jersey for Thursday night’s game.

The NRL asked that the Gotcha4Life logo be moved — it was originally going to be across the chest but it was shifted above the Sea Eagles logo.

“Any special jersey has to go through a pretty strict approval process with the NRL,” a source told News Corp.

“There were things that were picked up and changed. I know fans think a jersey was designed yesterday and pops up the next day. But there is a very long, not just approval process, but manufacturing process.

“The rainbow is meant to represent every culture. It was meant to embrace Women in League round and make it part of it.”

Once the jersey was approved by the NRL, it was put before the board for final approval — Manly have been without a chief executive since Steve Humphreys left the club in late-March. New chief executive Tony Mestrov is due to start on Monday.

The process took months, rather than weeks. There was ample time for Manly to raise the concept with their players but the first they knew about it was when they picked up Daily Telegraph newspapers this week to see Sea Eagles stars Sean Keppie, Kieran Foran and Reuben Garrick modelling the new strip.

That image caught members of the Manly squad off guard and prompted a mass backlash by some of their biggest stars, who will sit out Thursday night’s game rather than take the field in the rainbow jersey because of their religious beliefs.

Their absence comes at a crucial time in Manly’s season as they fight for a place in the finals. Sadly, it isn’t just Manly fans who will suffer.

Among the innocent victims of the saga has been Worland, who has devoted years to building his charity and beamed with pride this week as he spoke about his beloved Roosters and Jackman’s Sea Eagles playing for the Gotcha4Life Cup.

He certainly didn’t deserve to have his moment in the sun hijacked. More importantly, nor did his charity.

Yes no-one doubts they play for their culture and their families, and they are dedicated and humble humans. All very commendable.

But to simply brush it off as "they are very devout religious people" hides the key fact here: they have point-blank refused to say the game is for all. They do not want the game to be for all. It goes against their religion or culture. They simply do not want LGBTI+ people to be welcome.

The reason is obvious, in their home countries homosexuality is still a crime against the law, and even worse, a violation of nature and an affront to God.

So what do you imagine they think of Ian Roberts?

I do feel for the incredible pressures they are now under. They didn't bring the issue to a head, and the issue should never have come up in this way, but I don't think any of them can honestly say they didn't know the NRL had inclusive values when they asked to be in it. I fully expect that is in every contract they signed.

These players and their families and communities are so welcome in this country, but do we want them dictating who is allowed in the game? Or who is to be shunned in the community? No, it is them who should be questioning their values, and it is organisations such as the NRL, not to mention our govts, who should be doing more to facilitate resolution of this serious culture clash.
I hope this means something coming from me. I'm sure you know how much I despise religion and the homophobia that come with it.
To quote Ian Roberts:
'We can't vilify any of these players. Their right to refuse to play, you know, should be respected as well.'
If you want to fix the problem then there must be a respectful discussion. To paint the players as the villains in this will likely do the same to the wider Polynesian community. It won't change minds, it will harden them and it will tear the club and the game apart.
Ideas and beliefs don't deserve respect, but people do.
Edit: I'm doing all I can to get to the game on Thursday and will hopefully be there to support inclusion (wearing pride colours) and the players who choose not to play. I believe you can do both.

If you want to fix the problem then there must be a respectful discussion
Agree totally with that, and it will be quite a long and tricky process, no doubt about that.

I recently saw an old bit by comedian Dave Chappelle about the uproar a few years ago when Manny Pacquiao said gays were worse than animals. DC said something like, but just look at where this guy has come from, poverty and harship, but managed to claw his way to great success by hitting people better than anyone else can - - but is he really the person we should turn to when we want know 'Hey, so what should we think of gay people?'

Our players didn't ask to be confronted about their personal values. But there has to be an opportunity for those serious discussions to occur,in a patient and respectful way. With the massive demographic shifts in the game during the last 20 years the NRL needs to step up with a big push to educate young players about its values, and the reasons why these values are important. No longer good enough just to sneak inclusive wording into player contracts while in reality trying to ignore the clash of values.

Edit: I'm doing all I can to get to the game on Thursday and will hopefully be there to support inclusion (wearing pride colours) and the players who choose not to play. I believe you can do both.
Me too, I'm going to try hard to get there to support Manly, inclusivity, and our players too.

Can only presume that a similar predicament would have occurred at numerous other N R L clubs in the same circumstances . Looks like Manly inadvertently or not and unfortunately have just been the canary in the coal mine even though it should just have been a fairly innocuous issue . Fair to say however that the 7 Manly lads and other respective club players would have been under very considerable pressure from their communities and religious elders but not to absolve them of their other responsibilities and only stands to reason that there were some other options open to them . Hopefully the next generation of islander based communities and with some more progressive assimilation so to speak hopefully will ensure even more enlightened outlooks . Can "t change what had happened now , fault all round , maybe some good will come out of it but again very sad that Manly has had to be disadvantaged in the interim .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8