Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
many find the view of these players abhorrent - but they didn't force it on us. T
You have definitely posted in a non-offensive way VFTH and I apppreciate your thoughts. However, the fact the players haven't forced their attitudes on you or me personally doesn't mean their attitudes aren't having a direct negative impact on others in their own communities, even on themselves, certainly the wider community who respect them as sporting heroes.

You've put some context to the beliefs of those players, but let's also remember the history of the game itself. A tough, violent working class game for males, and unsurprisingly a bastion of unsophisticated sexism. Females relegated to peripheral supporting roles, and gays definitely persona non grata. Over the last 20 years some significant changes for women. A female journalist had to go to the Human Rights Commission to be allowed post-match access to players that male journos had. Now there's even females on TV footy panel shows (never seen on Controversy Corner), even some female execs at NRL clubs. And Women in league round. Also now the NRLW. And NRL bosses (but only in last couple of years) finally announcing publicly enough is enough with player disrespect and violence toward women.

But there haven't even been those steps in regard to gay or bi men who actually play the game. Or maybe who don't play, but have to interact with people who play the game. Not a single NRL player has come out since Ian Roberts! Can anyone seriously suggest gays or bisexuals feel safe in this enviroment to be open about who they are? No surprise. Are the days of gay bashing and gay murdering even behind us? Or do gays still occasionally get pushed off cliffs at night by gangs of drunken youths? Who hate gays.

Sorry for a lengthy post - but here's an excerpt from a 2022 report about homosexuality in 5 Pacific nations. Homosexuality is illegal in Cook Islands, Kiribati, Soloman Islands, Tonga and Samoa. The report's quite short and worth a look

In Samoa, despite revisions of its penal code as recently as 2013, the Government in 2010 had rejected a recommendation from the Samoa Law Commission to abolish sodomy laws, arguing this was unacceptable in a Christian country. Notwithstanding, those reforms did include the decriminalisation of female impersonation, affirming the rights of the Samoan fa’afafine community (who identify themselves as third gender/non-binary).
In these largely socially conservative societies with strong Christian ethos, being openly LGBT+ can be dangerous.
In addition to legal discrimination, social discrimination against LGBT+ people continues, in some cases violently.
For example, in 2021 in Tonga a prominent human rights activist and president of Tonga Leitis Association, an organisation working for LGBTQ+ communities, was allegedly murdered.

We have all been excited to see our young players coming into NRL to help Manly with their prodigious talents. But we cannot go backwards with inclusivity just to win games. It is important for these players to learn the values we want them to have - and for the club and NRL to be patient in this teaching and learning process. If that is simply too difficult for some players, due to their family or community situation, that's sad but not as bad as allowing discrimination, exclusion or worse to grow, and turn a blind eye because 'it's religion' (but really it's because they are good players)

Edit - I think our 7 players are all really decent young men,not at all suggesting they go around harassing gays etc. But the point is, their beliefs and attitudes are the beliefs and attitudes that do harm to LGBTI+ people. And Ian Roberts is also a really decent man, sexuality should have nothing to do with that.

Last edited:
Difficult one, my thought is if there is any strong leadership at the club they need to make a hard statement and that would be you are free to leave.

Some very talented players but this behaviour cannot be tolerated in any sport or business, honour their contracts, but that would be it they need to go.

Some very talented players but this behaviour cannot be tolerated in any sport or business,
I think it's more the point that it cannot be tolerated that any sport or business should be able to force employees to condone views that are counter to their religious beliefs. Rather that promote inclusiveness, the club's mismanagement* has created divisiveness, taken focus away from the Women in League Round and also probably had a disastrous effect on our footy season.

Hopefully, there will be some type of 'divine intervention' which allows us to win on Thursday night and then the talented seven return next round to help the team with a successful late season run :)

*Even Des didn't know anything about the Pride jersey before late Sunday

I ask the question that if for instance there was a very devout white Christian core to our side who in the same circumstance also chose the same path of action would the same amount of hate be evident on these boards?

Lets say all the Turbos, garrick, croker, dce, foz and davey all pulled out would we be saying that they should never play for the club again? Just asking for a friend.....

I ask the question that if for instance there was a very devout white Christian core to our side who in the same circumstance also chose the same path of action would the same amount of hate be evident on these boards?

Lets say all the Turbos, garrick, croker, dce, foz and davey all pulled out would we be saying that they should never play for the club again? Just asking for a friend.....
I can't speak for others here, EoL. For myself, there is no hatred. I respect their right to a belief, but also disagree with it. I've made my thoughts quite clear (and I hope fairly and reasonably, playing the ball and not the man). As to the question regarding the ethnicity of the parties... non-issue for me. I would feel and respond exactly the same even if it were Turbos, Jurbos, Burbos or other. Cheers!

I can't speak for others here, EoL. For myself, there is no hatred. I respect their right to a belief, but also disagree with it. I've made my thoughts quite clear (and I hope fairly and reasonably, playing the ball and not the man). As to the question regarding the ethnicity of the parties... non-issue for me. I would feel and respond exactly the same even if it were Turbos, Jurbos, Burbos or other. Cheers!
Good explanation. I would hope that's the line most would take.

I think Manly contracts might need to include a new clause or two from now on ...

I wonder what would happen if a current Manly player came out or if by miracle a time machine transported the 1994 Ian Roberts to the 2022 squad. Would they refuse to play or train with him?

Difficult one, my thought is if there is any strong leadership at the club they need to make a hard statement and that would be you are free to leave.

Some very talented players but this behaviour cannot be tolerated in any sport or business, honour their contracts, but that would be it they need to go.
We do that and we are just going to end up with mostly white players, 50% of the players in the NRL are Poly heritage and the large majority would probably hold similar views to our 7.

There’s something called religious freedom laws in this country. The players have every right to refuse to wear these jerseys. A lot of you around here would be suited to a communist regime where you’re only allowed one view.
Way too many bigots slamming the poor blokes who were put in this devestating position, they never said a bad word about anyone.

This place has turned into a disgusting cesspool. We’re all meant to be Unified by maroon and white. But seems some live miserable lives and want to bring others down.

There’s something called religious freedom laws in this country. The players have every right to refuse to wear these jerseys. A lot of you around here would be suited to a communist regime where you’re only allowed one view.
Way too many bigots slamming the poor blokes who were put in this devestating position, they never said a bad word about anyone.

This place has turned into a disgusting cesspool. We’re all meant to be Unified by maroon and white. But seems some live miserable lives and want to bring others down.

People are free to hold whatever religious beliefs they like, that is the nature of living in this great country. But freedom of choice is not freedom from consequence. People who hold these deeply religious beliefs need to understand that these aren't the views held by general society. A substantial part of the community (38.9%) are non religious as of the last census.

People are allowed to form an opinion and question their stance in the same way these players are free to refuse to wear the jersey.

Ultimately I wish these players stood beside their team mates in solidarity, but can appreciate why they don't want to - that doesn't mean we have to accept it.

People are free to hold whatever religious beliefs they like, that is the nature of living in this great country. But freedom of choice is not freedom from consequence. People who hold these deeply religious beliefs need to understand that these aren't the views held by general society. A substantial part of the community (38.9%) are non religious as of the last census.

People are allowed to form an opinion and question their stance in the same way these players are free to refuse to wear the jersey.

Ultimately I wish these players stood beside their team mates in solidarity, but can appreciate why they don't want to - that doesn't mean we have to accept it.
Exactly right. You don’t have to accept their views, they’re not forcing that upon anyone.

But it is utterly disgusting some of of the vile comments on here slamming those players. Why is the lie not blaming more with the club who sprung it on everyone.

This could’ve been done collectively in a different manner, there was no need to touch the jersey. There is other ways stuff like this can be achieved.
Instead rose face Penn comes out of it scott free. Living in New York has turned him into one of the woke. And he will find out the hard way that if you go woke, you go broke.

We have a coach who is "a very devout white Christian" who, while furious at the ham fisted approach by 'the club', passionately supports inclusivity.
He would NEVER pull such a stunt.

You know you can be inclusive without needing to bring in a rainbow jersey, right?
Everyone is welcome to play and support the maroon and white jersey.
Yeah but the rainbow jersey is a symbol of inclusivity so to actually get the message across they’d obviously rather put rainbow on the jersey.

The 7 players are hypocrites. Who gives a **** they weren’t consulted. They play for a sporting organisation that no doubt has gay fans and perhaps even gay players. It’s just a (not political) symbol of support for those people.

I don’t care if the players don’t believe in that practice due to their religion (even though that’s a cop out given they’re fine with gambling, premarital sex and tatoos). They just needed to wear a jersey that had good intentions and not worry that it corrupts their sexuality and insecure egos.

Do all religious people resign from companies that change their logo for pride month? No. These players are lucky they can hold the club to ransom in their position. They have betrayed everyone and are showing where their priorities are (themselves)

Ian Robert’s;

“They are the types of consequences that come when there is pushback with stuff like this, this is what prejudice and discrimination do[es].

“I was unsurprised that there was going to be pushback, and it kind of saddens me. I think of the far-reaching consequences... this is brutal language to hear, but there are kids in the suburbs killing themselves.

Makes me a bit sad about where all this has come from. While the majority of Western Christians have moved into a place of acceptance, the people of places that were aggressively colonised have been stranded in an earlier, hardline Christianity. Unlike our indigenous people, they have retained no shred of a belief system held before the mass arrival of zealous missionaries.
Absolutely everyone can have their beliefs but I think it's always important to look at the history in any situation.
And do these players look at their own cultural history? Is it possible that the worldwide pedophilia in Churches somehow missed these communities? And, in their relationship to the West, have they ever questioned that colonisation, that imposition of beliefs ... or even blackbirding?

I think it would be useful to hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11