Nico Hines

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Yeah Ive been thinking about this a bit and I see a few options, none super exciting and all say 2 year stop gaps till Koula is fully ready.

1.Aekins - Straight back up option, off contract, but would he be willing to move again without a shot of becoming a starter.

2.Will Hoppa - let Parker and Walker go and bring Hoppa in. Lacks pace but still a reliable player and provides fullback cover. Not in huge demand so price wont be crazy.
But.....bringing a hoppa back into the fold....

3.DWZ - 1 year to go on his contract but Dogs have Allen, Cotric, Addo Carr, Naden and Okunbor and may be will to let him go. Let Garrick go, experienced but leaves us short a kicker.

4. Isaako - think he still has another year but Broncos possibly looking at a clean out. If we could get him ticks a lot of boxes to replace Garrick, young and a great goalkicker but may be too expensive?

5. Watson - If Fainu goes down think he is a great option for 14 with Lawton playing the first 30. That said if we get Fainu back is their a fit in the squad for him?
Not sold on Isaako as a fullback, I think he doesn't back up the middle well and not that creative

Sure that by putting koula in the top 30 squad this year would be a clear indication that he is considered almost up to i st grade level now for Manly or not too far off . Not even sure if he has played much full back at all , seems more wing or centre . Always have Garrick and Harper as full back options and not to say that Koula could not make a go of it there . Think that the Storm would make a pretty fair effort to retain Nicko Hines ., Ramien is one from that competitive Manly 20 :s side in 2015 that really kicked on in future or subsequent years and would have been handy to retain but as usual hindsight is a wonderful thing .

Yeah Ive been thinking about this a bit and I see a few options, none super exciting and all say 2 year stop gaps till Koula is fully ready.

1.Aekins - Straight back up option, off contract, but would he be willing to move again without a shot of becoming a starter.

2.Will Hoppa - let Parker and Walker go and bring Hoppa in. Lacks pace but still a reliable player and provides fullback cover. Not in huge demand so price wont be crazy.
But.....bringing a hoppa back into the fold....

3.DWZ - 1 year to go on his contract but Dogs have Allen, Cotric, Addo Carr, Naden and Okunbor and may be will to let him go. Let Garrick go, experienced but leaves us short a kicker.

4. Isaako - think he still has another year but Broncos possibly looking at a clean out. If we could get him ticks a lot of boxes to replace Garrick, young and a great goalkicker but may be too expensive?

5. Watson - If Fainu goes down think he is a great option for 14 with Lawton playing the first 30. That said if we get Fainu back is their a fit in the squad for him?
Hoppa !! No thanks .... DWZ no thanks .... who is Aekins?

If Fainu plays again and Davey plays next year after his knee repair I really don't think we need many new buys ... I'd like to see us retain some promising juniors and maybe a backup fullback for TT.
Aekins is the panthers junior who moved to Canberra this year. Currently playing fullback for them.

I agree we have great juniors coming through but a big advocate of 1-2 new faces in any squad each year to keep things fresh.

Who do you think should be our fullback depth next year?

Plus Croker, Taufua, Boyle, Gosie should all go as a minimum probably parker too so we need some new blood

On reflection I actually agree with this. How do we resolve our fullback cover issue? Who steps up from our current squad? Walker was diabolical.
Hopefully Koula, however this is next year. I believe in the Koala.

Koula NRL fullback? Get real. He's still a kid, with a lot to learn before he is a reliable 1st grader - ESPECIALLY for the fullback position. He and Weekes will most prob be future stars, but not for a few more years. We definitely need a quality FB now. If/when Turbo goes down next, who steps up? Des said during pre-season that he could see Saab playing FB. Harper had a good crack during the trial. Or do we buy Aekins from the Raiders for example? Upgrade Smith from Blacktown? I hope Des is planning properly this time
Not this year (Koula), but next year he will be ready to debut. Smith would be the other logical option and should at least be a dev player.

Aekins is the panthers junior who moved to Canberra this year. Currently playing fullback for them.

I agree we have great juniors coming through but a big advocate of 1-2 new faces in any squad each year to keep things fresh.

Who do you think should be our fullback depth next year?

Plus Croker, Taufua, Boyle, Gosie should all go as a minimum probably parker too so we need some new blood
I'd keep Parker he loves Manly and would not cost overs to keep I'd let the others you mentioned go ... oh yeah Aekins would be good at the right price ... for when TT breaks down again or is on SOO duty

Not this year (Koula), but next year he will be ready to debut. Smith would be the other logical option and should at least be a dev player.
Exactly. We're talking about next season. Fullback is his natural position too. Des thinks highly of him to be in the top 30 squad. He will feature next season.

Exactly. We're talking about next season. Fullback is his natural position too. Des thinks highly of him to be in the top 30 squad. He will feature next season.
Are you sure FB is his natural position? His speed alone warrants great potential, but even next year may be a little too soon to rely on him at FB. Much like Burbo, signed to our top 30 in order to fast-track his development (also, in Koula's case, to stave off other clubs poaching), however he will need a couple of seasons for sure. We definitely need another solution in the meantime imo

Are you sure FB is his natural position? His speed alone warrants great potential, but even next year may be a little too soon to rely on him at FB. Much like Burbo, signed to our top 30 in order to fast-track his development (also, in Koula's case, to stave off other clubs poaching), however he will need a couple of seasons for sure. We definitely need another solution in the meantime imo
before this year he was playing full back. I dont think its too early at all.. he has a big frame and good speed. Its on the Manly website when he first made the top 30 squad.

Hes 183cm and 93 kg according to an Australian article they did on him. He will be 19 next year. Not too soon at all. Why waste cap space on a back up when one of our youngsters can do that.

before this year he was playing full back. I dont think its too early at all.. he has a big frame and good speed. Its on the Manly website when he first made the top 30 squad.

Hes 183cm and 93 kg according to an Australian article they did on him. He will be 19 next year. Not too soon at all. Why waste cap space on a back up when one of our youngsters can do that.
Whilst I hope you're right (and thanks for height and weight - definitely not a small lad considering his speed), I think we must disagree on how soon is soon. 19 next year imo is too early. n.b. there are currently only 6-7 guys in the whole country who are under the age of 20 and playing regular 1st grade (Best, Schuster, Simpkins, Niu, Walsh, Walker). I would be stoked if Koula was at the level these guys are at next year (don't forget who our coach is too)

Whilst I hope you're right (and thanks for height and weight - definitely not a small lad considering his speed), I think we must disagree on how soon is soon. 19 next year imo is too early. n.b. there are currently only 6-7 guys in the whole country who are under the age of 20 and playing regular 1st grade (Best, Schuster, Simpkins, Niu, Walsh, Walker). I would be stoked if Koula was at the level these guys are at next year (don't forget who our coach is too)
Remember though, he would be a fullback backup. Not our primary fullback. I’d have him in the side on the wing gaining FG experience and then shift him to fullback if Tom gets injured.

As for his age, it comes down to the individual. Des would not contract a player to the top thirty this year if he plans to keep him on ice for two years and only debut him in the third year of his top30 contract. That is a waste of a spot, even if you are trying to stave off poachers you wouldn’t do that two-three years in advance.

I’m confident that if he keeps healthy and trains hard he will debut next year.

koula is the best schoolboy union player in the country so is easily at these blokes level

i dont think people here realised how much he dominated the GPS comp at newington. he tore teams to shreds week in week out and also put massive hits on as a defender.

if you are the best schoolboy player in the country and run 10.5s 100m (addo-carr pace) I would think you are doing ok to be a backup fullback at 19. get him a gig so he doesnt leave us for the chooks who will offer him one of the moz bros wing/centre spot

koula is the best schoolboy union player in the country so is easily at these blokes level

i dont think people here realised how much he dominated the GPS comp at newington. he tore teams to shreds week in week out and also put massive hits on as a defender.

if you are the best schoolboy player in the country and run 10.5s 100m (addo-carr pace) I would think you are doing ok to be a backup fullback at 19. get him a gig so he doesnt leave us for the chooks who will offer him one of the moz bros wing/centre spot
A lot of sense in your thinking mate, and I would love to see him soon, but it is a complicated shuffling act when you have 3 or 4 guys that should end up being stars. Des has to handle them correctly and also show some results while bringing them along. It's a tough gig.

Des has given Saab a shot and he will stay there unless he shows he is not progressing well enough.
I expect Tippytoes to be in front of Koula because of his age and experience against men.

There is a big decision needing to be made about Walker's future and that clouds a centre spot next year. I'm guessing Tippytoes may be the one to take his spot if it becomes available...then Kuola gets a shot on the wing.

Irregardless of the discontent here over Des's bringing guys through slowly we have not lost anyone we wanted to keep. There was claims we would lose Hoppa, Schuster and Guac if they weren't blooded now! Hoppa can't get a run in a backline decimated Raiders reggies and the others have signed up long term.

I am 100% sure Kuola and Tippytoes are being handled equally as well.

I would love to have a FG winger that is our TT backup NOW but the system is in motion and I am confident it will all be great in the longrun.

Des really appears to be on top of this and i'm happy to let it play out.

It seems he has discovered the idea of cloning and is trying to turn Schuster into a Cliffy\Gifty/Killer. Don't be surprised if he moulds the youngest turbo into a Beaver.

Last edited:
Koula is being used in the centres this year.. having turbo at fullback and as you said Walker leaving creates a centre position. Maybe that was the thinking of moving Koula there in the SG Ball and now Jersey flegg. Fully expect him to play for blacktown by end of season if not first grade. He is too good a talent to leave out too long

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10