More bad news for Cronulla

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Paul Kent has come out & said that Cronulla did cheat during their premiership winning year & that they have been treated less harshly than other clubs who were found to have cheated?? See article below!!
This infuriates me if true!!

Cronulla ‘systematically cheated’ during 2016 premiership-winning campaign, claims NRL pundit

The Cronulla Sharks were 'systematically cheating' during their premiership-winning 2016 season and were treated far more leniently than other clubs who have previously been punished for salary-cap breaches.
That's the strong opinion of News Limited journalist Paul Kent after the NRL announced the findings of a six-month salary-cap probe into The Shire club last Friday.

The Sharks were whacked with a $750,000 fine for multiple breaches, with $500,000 of the penalty suspended because departing CEO Barry Russell in August self-reported the indiscretions dating back to 2015.

Upon announcing the Cronulla's punishment, which includes a $707,000 salary-cap reduction, NRL boss Todd Greenberg repeated his previous assertions the Sharks were cap compliant when they hoisted the premiership trophy in 2016.

But Kent believes the Sharks got off lightly compared to previous clubs who were found to have rorted the salary-cap.
"Cronulla did cheat the year they won the premiership," Kent claimed on Fox Sports' NRL 360.

"The NRL were very deliberate in their phrasing when asked several times last week in off-the-record conversations when they had an off-the-record media briefing and then publicly later where they stipulated that when Cronulla won the comp they were under the salary cap on the day.

"But they were under the salary cap because they were cheating, and those undisclosed monetary amounts were just not enough given that they were already paying unders for everybody at the club to get them over the cap - but they were systematically cheating that year.

"It stepped up a gear in 2017 the year after the premiership, that's when they formed a separate company with the sole intention of manufacturing third-party sponsorships for the club.

"It (the cheating) was more systematic than other clubs who have copped far harsher penalties."

Paul Kent has come out & said that Cronulla did cheat during their premiership winning year & that they have been treated less harshly than other clubs who were found to have cheated?? See article below!!

Cronulla ‘systematically cheated’ during 2016 premiership-winning campaign, claims NRL pundit

The Cronulla Sharks were 'systematically cheating' during their premiership-winning 2016 season and were treated far more leniently than other clubs who have previously been punished for salary-cap breaches.
That's the strong opinion of News Limited journalist Paul Kent after the NRL announced the findings of a six-month salary-cap probe into The Shire club last Friday.

The Sharks were whacked with a $750,000 fine for multiple breaches, with $500,000 of the penalty suspended because departing CEO Barry Russell in August self-reported the indiscretions dating back to 2015.

Upon announcing the Cronulla's punishment, which includes a $707,000 salary-cap reduction, NRL boss Todd Greenberg repeated his previous assertions the Sharks were cap compliant when they hoisted the premiership trophy in 2016.

But Kent believes the Sharks got off lightly compared to previous clubs who were found to have rorted the salary-cap.
"Cronulla did cheat the year they won the premiership," Kent claimed on Fox Sports' NRL 360.

"The NRL were very deliberate in their phrasing when asked several times last week in off-the-record conversations when they had an off-the-record media briefing and then publicly later where they stipulated that when Cronulla won the comp they were under the salary cap on the day.

"But they were under the salary cap because they were cheating, and those undisclosed monetary amounts were just not enough given that they were already paying unders for everybody at the club to get them over the cap - but they were systematically cheating that year.

"It stepped up a gear in 2017 the year after the premiership, that's when they formed a separate company with the sole intention of manufacturing third-party sponsorships for the club.

"It (the cheating) was more systematic than other clubs who have copped far harsher penalties."

That's exactly what I said in this thread a week or so ago (wanna medal ge?)

So I'm glad that some 'journo' with more readership than my posts (somehow) has at least come out and said it.

They were making undisclosed payments. Regardless that the total of declared and undeclared payments were less than the salary cap, shouldn't absolve them of being found as salary cap cheats and stripped of their premiership.

It's that the motivation for nrl head office to do the right thing in this case isn't there.

Point an unloaded gun at a policeman and see if you get off because it 'wasn't loaded'. *

*Do NOT do that, it would be a galatically stupid move.

Sharks cheated, premiership should be stripped. - won't happen though.

Hopefully people are tweeting support for Kent so he continues.

According to TodSprog the decision may be inconsistent but it's fair... This is one of the main reasons why the game is dying. The political smoke and mirrors TeamTodSprog are displaying in trying to fix the image of the game isn't fooling anybody.

That's exactly what I said in this thread a week or so ago (wanna medal ge?)

So I'm glad that some 'journo' with more readership than my posts (somehow) has at least come out and said it.

They were making undisclosed payments. Regardless that the total of declared and undeclared payments were less than the salary cap, shouldn't absolve them of being found as salary cap cheats and stripped of their premiership.

It's that the motivation for nrl head office to do the right thing in this case isn't there.

Point an unloaded gun at a policeman and see if you get off because it 'wasn't loaded'. *

*Do NOT do that, it would be a galatically stupid move.

Sharks cheated, premiership should be stripped. - won't happen though.

Hopefully people are tweeting support for Kent so he continues.
giphy.gif

At last one of the NRL's chosen journos speaks out against them.

Hopefully this will gain traction before it is swept under the rug.

I'd love to see the Sharks stripped of their premiership.

The former Dally M hooker of the year (Segeyaro ) was cut from Cronulla’s 30-man playing roster to ensure the Sharks were cap compliant before this week’s season opener against Newcastle.

After he also signed a $1 deal to play with Newtown in the NSW Cup, Segeyaro hopes the Sharks can offload another player to allow him to resume his NRL career in the Shire.

The training deal allows Segeyaro to bide his time at the Sharks without being paid and remain match fit playing for Newtown while Cronulla attempt to resolve their salary-cap issues.

---------------------------

Ahhhh, gotta love a loophole.

Going by that table the Drizzle were 36% over the cap in 2007. No other team stood a chance....

And they were about the same when we won 40-0 in 2008 which makes that win all that much more satisfying knowing that we that we annihilated their cheating arses so badly.

What I couldn't believe on what I saw of NRL360 the other night was that Rothtool was still trying to say "oh but they were under the cap" about the Sharks in 2016 and was basically saying that they should get to keep the premiership because they weren't cheating as bad as Melbourne were.

Cheating is still bloody cheating. They may well have been under the cap, but their players (and I bet Gallen was up to his neck in it) were still getting under the table payments that they weren't contractually entitled to. Its still cheating.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8