More bad news for Cronulla

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
This is why the salary cap is a waste of time and every fan knows it is being rorted.
Bring in a points system with players worth X.
Eg:
Club player 4
SOO player 7
International rep: 10

If the player debuts for your club but develops into a repetitive a discount is applied.
Discount for players that spend 7 or more seasons at the same club.
No discount if you sign a player from a other club than plays rep footy within the first 2 seasons.

If a club wants to spend $10,000,000 or $50,000,000 on players a year that's up to them but they are limited to the same points limit as every other club.
So much more transparent than the current system and will stop clubs having all the rep players and claiming they are staying for the love of the club.

Salary cap breaches will never stop, every club has or is breaching it, just some are better at hiding it than others.
I agree with this 100 per cent in terms of common sense but there were two reasons for the cap. Even comp and protecting clubs from themselves. The points system helps even the comp out but makes it a whole lot easier for clubs to go broke. A lot of clubs are not run by Fortune 500 geniuses and overspending on players is the first resort for most when it comes to solving issues like membership , sponsorship etc

Would be a good way of culling weak clubs but I’m a bit of a old timer and don’t want to see that.On the other hand the system would promote expansion with new strong clubs emerging to take over from the weak. I suppose it depends on ones view of the future. Both arguments have merit .

Yeah but the Donkeys, Drizzle and Rorters are always under the cap so they'd never be fined. This will only apply to the real set of books not the dodgy underhanded scumbag a**hole set of books that those clubs and others have,
So the NRL facilitates the payment of player salary and if a player, agent or club know of payments outside the NRL then they suffer severe punishment.

Clubs would pay overs for a few years then re-set and build again.

I agree with this 100 per cent in terms of common sense but there were two reasons for the cap. Even comp and protecting clubs from themselves. The points system helps even the comp out but makes it a whole lot easier for clubs to go broke. A lot of clubs are not run by Fortune 500 geniuses and overspending on players is the first resort for most when it comes to solving issues like membership , sponsorship etc

Would be a good way of culling weak clubs but I’m a bit of a old timer and don’t want to see that.On the other hand the system would promote expansion with new strong clubs emerging to take over from the weak. I suppose it depends on ones view of the future. Both arguments have merit .

And your thoughts on an alternative to either ???

I hate to tell you this, but nowadays we're seen as one of the two or three vulnerable clubs, and I would hate it for us, or any other club gets wiped out just so that they can get a team in Adelaide or Wellington NZ

This is why the salary cap is a waste of time and every fan knows it is being rorted.
Eg:
Club player 4
SOO player 7

If the player debuts for your club but develops into a repetitive a discount is applied.
No discount if you sign a player from a other club than plays rep footy within the first 2 seasons.

If a club wants to spend $10,000,000 or $50,000,000 on players a year that's up to them but they are limited to the same points limit as every other club.
So much more transparent than the current system and will stop clubs having all the rep players and claiming they are staying for the love of the club.

Salary cap breaches will never stop, every club has or is breaching it, just some are better at hiding it than others.
That is pretty much how the RMC and Sydney shield comps are run,it stops the clubs with more cash getting their hands on guys who have some NRL experience and stockpiling their sides with them.

And your thoughts on an alternative to either ???

Maybe a combination Mark. Clubs have to meet both criteria.A club can only build a roster that does not exceed a certain number of points allocated as per a designated scale similar to the original posters idea.

In doing that they have a maximum amount they can spend to achieve it. If they pay too much for certain players they may very well end up with a side short of the point maximum.

Sure you still may get salary cap cheats in a money sense but the roster they put together can’t be stronger than other clubs as a result due to the points maximum.The best that can be achieved by cheating the cap is a side that can be matched by other clubs operating legally under the points system .That in itself is a major deterrent to cheating the cap.The lack of real advantage.

This solves the overspending issue and ensures squads like the Storm in 07 can’t be put together.

Last edited:
Tax. The more you spend over the "cap" the more tax you pay into a pool that gets dispersed to the bottom teams.
Roosters spend 15million then they pay a tax on the 5 mill over the cap.
First million over say 15% tax and the % goes up for every million and every year the club is over the cap.
Don't they have something like that in the NBA? It would have to be accompanied by a very strict no-cheating policy. Meaning strict liability, you get caught cheating the cap, your club is kicked out of the league, finished.

Don't they have something like that in the NBA? It would have to be accompanied by a very strict no-cheating policy. Meaning strict liability, you get caught cheating the cap, your club is kicked out of the league, finished.
MLB have it.
I would add that how much over the cap you spend not only do you pay tax on but also it comes out of your grant money.

Strict enforcement with harsh penalties. Not the blind eye system we have now.

Cronulla Sharks skipper Paul Gallen invested in a property with a director of a company that became a major team sponsor months later, but club officials are confident his dealings will escape censure by an NRL investigation into salary cap breaches.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/sha...alary-cap-investigations-20190227-p510os.html

Todd to use discretionary powers of inconsistency to say that unlike Manly and their cap issues (ie not paying a player one more cent than listed) Gallen's financial gain from a major sponsor is "nothing at all to see here."

Eg:
Club player 4
SOO player 7

I think the concept, whilst looking at it simplistically is a good one but it falls down in the details.

• Is it current SOO players or does it back date two seasons?....or three?....or more? Is Jamie Buhrer or Tim Grant worth the same as Ponga or Cleary?
  • Rep retirements, Is Cameron Smith now a 4 or is he a 10?
  • What if a player shuns rep footy all together? A rich club offers their young player an extra 1 mil per season to never play rep footy so they can remain a 4?
  • Is an international only tier one? If so does that mean Taumalolo is a 4.....or because he has previously played for NZ is he a 10? Is Fifita a 4 or a 10? and does that mean Tevita Pangai Junior and AFB will forever be 4s?
  • Or does internationals include tier two nations? In which case is Ata Hingano a 10 like Jake Trbojevic?
  • Is a winger international like Ryan Hall worth the same as a spine international like Josh Hodgson?
  • Is a starter like Tedesco worth the same as a bench player Felise Kaufusi?
  • Is there potential for selection bias for rep squads?
  • Is an 18th man in Origin camps counts as a 7?
  • Does Garrick as a rookie count the same as Sutton a 300 gamer?

I think it is really tough to have a perfectly even playing field and as others have mentioned, the first service of the cap is to stop clubs going broke.

Do I think clubs rort.........yes majority if not all, do I have a better system......I don't know if there is one

I think the concept, whilst looking at it simplistically is a good one but it falls down in the details.

• Is it current SOO players or does it back date two seasons?....or three?....or more? Is Jamie Buhrer or Tim Grant worth the same as Ponga or Cleary?
  • What if a player shuns rep footy all together? A rich club offers their young player an extra 1 mil per season to never play rep footy so they can remain a 4?
  • Is an international only tier one? If so does that mean Taumalolo is a 4.....or because he has previously played for NZ is he a 10? Is Fifita a 4 or a 10? and does that mean Tevita Pangai Junior and AFB will forever be 4s?
  • Or does internationals include tier two nations? In which case is Ata Hingano a 10 like Jake Trbojevic?
  • Is a winger international like Ryan Hall worth the same as a spine international like Josh Hodgson?

I think it is really tough to have a perfectly even playing field and as others have mentioned, the first service of the cap is to stop clubs going broke.

Do I think clubs rort.........yes majority if not all, do I have a better system......I don't know if there is one

And heaven help us if the answers to all of your concerns is that Todd will use his non consistent discretionary powers to decide on points.

Update, 12.14pm: Greenberg confirms Cronulla were under the salary cap during their 2016 premiership-winning season and there is no question over their NRL title

Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah right-o Todd. A club has been found to have systematically rorted the cap over the last few years, gave their players illegal drugs, and had a coach who blatantly disregarded orders and contacted the club when he wasn't allowed to (club did nothing about this, I might ad, but the media haven't pointed that out) but the one time, yes, the one time in the past 4 decades they won the gf....everything was clean and above board.

Must be using those newly appointed "not consistent but what I think is fair" rules,

Update, 12.14pm: Greenberg confirms Cronulla were under the salary cap during their 2016 premiership-winning season and there is no question over their NRL title

Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah right-o Todd. A club has been found to have systematically rorted the cap over the last few years, gave their players illegal drugs, and had a coach who blatantly disregarded orders and contacted the club when he wasn't allowed to (club did nothing about this, I might ad, but the media haven't pointed that out) but the one time, yes, the one time in the past 4 decades they won the gf....everything was clean and above board.

Must be using those newly appointed "not consistent but what I think is fair" rules,
But he's reopening investigations into the 2008 and 2011 years.

It has to be a transparent valuation system. Every player is valued by every Club when they hit the market and those valuations are made public. Drop off the top 4 and the bottom 4 valuations and the average of the remaining 8 is what goes on the cap regardless of what the player is actually paid, which is kept private. That amount is what is on the cap for the duration of that contract.

The NRL acknowledges that Cronulla was doing dodgy deals in 2016 - the only time in their inglorious history they have won the premiership - but even with this illegal activity they still were under the salary cap.
"Go ahead Sharkies, do whatever deals you want, just don't tell us that in 2016 you didn't cheat the Cap like you did in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018."

This is the funniest thing the Dick-tator has said since he claimed straight-faced that Easts are always Cap compliant.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8