Manly Waringah Sea Eagles V Canberra

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Missing Something stick to your guns.  Orford had an ordinary second half, full stop.  Don't be intimidated by his fan club on this site.

Ordinary 2nd half - maybe, but IMO Orford played overall pretty darn well.
Our guys did well tday for 60 minutes in particular. I think they fell into the old were ahead in the 2nd half mentality (somethomg we used to do very often ) but eventually pulled it back together.
Well done Foran & Hagraves - I was very worried before the game ( & yes with 15m to go) but they did it and made us 8,000 or so very proud.
Thanks boys..
Also I don't know if anyone else will agree with me (hubby doesn't) but I think build on the Williams/Matai combo (don't rely but use - if you know what I mean...

DSM5 link said:
Missing Something stick to your guns.  Orford had an ordinary second half, full stop.  Don't be intimidated by his fan club on this site.
And keep on playing that favourite broken record DSM. Every week, never fail. :)

Rex link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=180740.msg228804#msg228804 date=1245583328]
And keep on playing that favourite broken record DSM. Every week, never fail. :)
[/quote]
i agree rex,dsm5 cmon mate afew positives wouldnt go astray,the cups half full or half empty?  :p

DSM5 link said:

Don’t' worry I stand by my comment and will add this after watching the replay - he was very good in the first half, poor in the second half and he really doesn't seem to command the respect of his players when their backs are to the wall, when Canberra scored a quick couple of tries he should have been demanding his side lift there performance and ordering them round the park that didn't happen, and when they dropped off he should have been giving it to them telling them to lift (watch a guy like Lockyer) again didn't happen – you can say the forwards dropped off and that made life harder for him but at the end of the day it’s up to him to ensure they don’t drop off, I'm quite happy to admit his on field performances have been a better lately (though still lacking at times in certain areas) but as far as an on field captain goes he's a poor choice.

missing_something link said:

Don’t' worry I stand by my comment and will add this after watching the replay - he was very good in the first half, poor in the second half and he really doesn't seem to command the respect of his players when their backs are to the wall, when Canberra scored a quick couple of tries he should have been demanding his side lift there performance and ordering them round the park that didn't happen, and when they dropped off he should have been giving it to them telling them to lift (watch a guy like Lockyer) again didn't happen – you can say the forwards dropped off and that made life harder for him but at the end of the day it’s up to him to ensure they don’t drop off, I'm quite happy to admit his on field performances have been a better lately (though still lacking at times in certain areas) but as far as an on field captain goes he's a poor choice.
[/quote]
ok so who do you think should be our captain?

chrisos link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=180740.msg228813#msg228813 date=1245585224]

[/quote]
ok so who do you think should be our captain?
[/quote]

Ballin seems to have a good head on his shoulders, Lyon maybe - with Matt vice captian, without knowing the dynamics of the group it's hard to say.

I have just watched the replay (was at the game) and I want a say a few words in defence of players who are getting a few brickbats.

Orford's kicking in general play was the best I have seen from his this season in the first half.

His running game and clean up work in the defence (gathering the chip, no GC home crowd penalty this time!) were great.

And while some of his chips to the wingers were overcooked in the second half he put in an excellent kick that forced the Raiders winger to run out of the in goal. Two rucks later they coughed it up pretty well on the goal line and we scored.

T Williams and Cuthbertson are both players who have mistakes in them and can appear lacksidasical . But both can also do things that your more safe but less talented players do not.

The offload for the try from Williams was special and he's produced a couple of those now. It should also be noted we were leaking tries on that wing when Bani was there we and we aren't now. Williams late hit on Milne was tremendous. I don't know that I ever seen a runner sent flying further.

Cuthbo made some bad blues but the penalties were pretty tough. The forward pass I am happy to live with but it was close and good vision to throw it. Not many of our players have that vision, including sometimes our chief playmaker Orford.

Also Cuthbo's late pass to send Matai away in a game of few breaks was skillful ball playing and there isn't a heap of that in our side or even in modern league.

Whether that is enough to make for his mistakes in the modern percentages game, probably not. But I like watching him play.

he did get subbed off in about roughly the 60th minute but he did come back on in like the last 8 minutes so i dont think he is injured although i believe rodney picked up a slight injury.

I saw the replay by gee the manly boys hit hard in defence. I love it.

Raiders winger Kelly nearly connected on perrys chin, then Kelly got nailed by JWH, Perry had a word to him afterwards.

Foran tackled hard. Then T-Rex's special topped it off.

Great to see King stepping up making meters and working hard.

Signs are looking good fellow supporters!

imo (..and i say this having only seen the game live & not seeing a replay on tv)

* foran - wow. sure he played behind an awesome pack, and that helped him a lot, but still.. wonderful debut. should be very proud! as someone mentioned, he might be that spark we're missing.. i'd keep him at 5/8th
* on that note.. bailey was fab in the 2nd row. him and rodney really stepped up, always poking their heads through & breaking the line
* orforfds kicking game - best i've seen from him. ever. what a difference having a kicking game makes! Yes, his 2nd half was less than perfect, but canberra had so much possesion & the refs made so many bad calls, we can't be too harsh on that
* king. fab. keep it up
* t-rex.. i don't understand why he's such a pu$sy in attack sometimes. Like, running the ball up - he looks so strong and intimidating.. and he ends up just trundling the ball up like a cat. He showed a little bit more agression yesterday, but it's gotta get better - you can tell he can do better.

I have often criticised Ox's play but that was an outstanding effort. He is gaining confidence and ran a lot more with great success. I'll admit he is behind a dominant pack but that is what we had last year. He is now playing better than last year imo.

Who would've thought at the beginning of the year our tryscorers for a game would be Foran, Waerea-Hargreaves and Rose?

missing_something link said:
- he was very good in the first half, poor in the second half and he really doesn't seem to command the respect of his players when their backs are to the wall, when Canberra scored a quick couple of tries he should have been demanding his side lift there performance and ordering them round the park

Check the video and I think you'll see with 20 minutes to go Manly basically didn't see the ball and Canberra got a huge piggy back due to some "interesting" refereeing decisions.  Not really a problem until 20-14.

And when the game was in the balance 20-14 and Canberra chipped through for the match-equaling try under the posts, who was the one player that sprinted back to prevent the try under the posts?

Are you seriously suggesting the players weren't inspired by that save?

LOL, so now we are wanting the Premiership Winning Captain stripped of the role haha.

Let me guess, other players in the side made him a better captain and got us that GF, just like how it wasn't Orford that played well in the GF, it was those around him lol

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8