Manly vs Rabbids [Round 22 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
mickqld said:
None of us should be surprised. If ever a game had the feeling of a total stitch up it was this one. One sided refereeing doesn't come close to describing that and before anyone argues about sour grapes and we didn't deserve it, in this game at the top momentum is everything. At 4-0 momentum was taken away for the rest of the game. The lattitude allowed to the vermin bordered on criminal.

Spot on! Manly put in a kick and tackled Souths 10m out from their own line. Bang! There goes the referee whistle for Manly holding down in the first tackle. Kick for touch and then 3 tackles. Bang! DCE makes a tackle & stands up in front of the tackled player & tackles the dummy half who had chosen to run straight at him. Penalty. Then came the try. They were showing nothing Souths before the pinkos got them moving.

The entire Souths game plan operates between when the tackle is made and when the dummy half gets the ball. They walk forward to take out the markers and then Luke just takes off into the space & he either gets a penalty or gets Souths on a roll. The referees actually reward this by penalising the markers. They will win the comp if this is how it be controlled. But who should be surprised when Archer used to referee this way all the time. Genuine football playing teams like Manly have no show.

If we win this comp it wont be off the back of our Front Row, as courageous and hard working as they are they need to offer more which they don't have.

It's going to take our classy backline, backrow and fast uptempo play to get us over the line, tough ask.

It's going to be very tight up top for the minor premiership I feel there is still one or two more losses in us this year, my money is we finish second.

Positive of that is we play at the SFS where Manly normally play well in the big end of season games.

100% agree @mickqld

The refs were a joke tonight. We get a 4-0 lead and they then started piggybacking them out of trouble in their own half. Yes we made mistakes and a dropped ball led to Lote's run which led to a try. But we were never allowed to get any momentum going. Souffs were laying all over the play the ball all game and were getting away with it, yet at the same time we were getting penalised for the same thing.

Not to mention the missed chicken wing. And the call for a line dropout when Lote lost the ball. And that BS crusher penalty against Starling which also resulted in a try to the Vermin.

Tonight gave me that same feeling that I got from the game in Gosford last year that we lost to them.....Souffs won their GF tonight.

mickqld said:
None of us should be surprised. If ever a game had the feeling of a total stitch up it was this one. One sided refereeing doesn't come close to describing that and before anyone argues about sour grapes and we didn't deserve it, in this game at the top momentum is everything. At 4-0 momentum was taken away for the rest of the game. The lattitude allowed to the vermin bordered on criminal.

Agree, but can't see it changing come semi-final time, so may have to get used to it. Why and where penalties are given are the most important stats in the game, but good luck trying to even find a penalty count in a post match write-up.

While I don't like losing, I'm not as shattered as I sometimes am.

It will teach the boys they have to work hard every week if they want to win. Sometimes we get a bit of the "just have to show up's" for mine.

The downside is I have to put up with the Souffs fans and their jiz-fest over how it's their year.

We all know there's a long way to go and I'm still confident we have the side to take it out. Let them have their day of gloating. I'll take a win in GF any day.

Jethro said:
Why is the rule that if a player is getting charged in a tackle by several opposition players and a supporting player tries to stop further movement that the referee doesn't call held immediately like he is supposed to do. DCE should never have been put over the side line if the ref had been doing his job properly.

Page 23 of the rule book:

SECTION 11
THE TACKLE AND PLAY-THE-BALL

NOTES

Moving tackled player

2. (a) Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call “Held”.

Do your job properly pinkies :mad:

HoldenV8 said:
And the call for a line dropout when Lote lost the ball.

That was either a penalty to Souths for a strip in a two man tackle or it was a Souths knock on. Ruling a drop out shows just how dumb the NRL refereeing has become.

Jethro said:
Why is the rule that if a player is getting charged in a tackle by several opposition players and a supporting player tries to stop further movement that the referee doesn't call held immediately like he is supposed to do. DCE should never have been put over the side line if the ref had been doing his job properly.

Souffs have been getting away with this for the past 2 or 3 years. I've watched their games on TV and the amount of times they are allowed to do that is incredible, yet whenever one of their players gets gang tackled and is pushed towards touch the refs start calling held......and often Souffs get a penalty if their player is taken over the sideline.

We still haven't played souths full strength this year. Not gutted by this loss. Just hate haven't to put up with souths fans when they win. They did the same thing in Gosford last year maybe. Then looked what happened in the semi's

Page 23 of the rule book:

SECTION 11
THE TACKLE AND PLAY-THE-BALL

NOTES

Moving tackled player

2. (a) Where opponents do not make a tackle effective in the quickest possible manner but attempt to push, pull or carry the player in possession, it is permissible for colleagues of the tackled player to lend their weight in order to avoid losing ground. Immediately this happens the referee should call “Held” unless it is a Manly player.

simon64 said:

It will teach the boys they have to work hard every week if they want to win. Sometimes we get a bit of the "just have to show up's" for mine.

The downside is I have to put up with the Souffs fans and their jiz-fest over how it's their year.

We all know there's a long way to go and I'm still confident we have the side to take it out. Let them have their day of gloating. I'll take a win in GF any day.

You've managed to accurately articulate my sentiments, thank you Simon ;)

simon64 said:

Yes, that jiz-fest irks me too but I take solace in the fact that I can point out that my 8 yo daughter has seen more premierships in her lifetime than a 42yo Souffs fan ( and chances are she has more teeth too.)

HoldenV8 said:
100% agree @mickqld

The refs were a joke tonight. We get a 4-0 lead and they then started piggybacking them out of trouble in their own half. Yes we made mistakes and a dropped ball led to Lote's run which led to a try. But we were never allowed to get any momentum going. Souffs were laying all over the play the ball all game and were getting away with it, yet at the same time we were getting penalised for the same thing.

Not to mention the missed chicken wing. And the call for a line dropout when Lote lost the ball. And that BS crusher penalty against Starling which also resulted in a try to the Vermin.

Tonight gave me that same feeling that I got from the game in Gosford last year that we lost to them.....Souffs won their GF tonight.

This is the most frustrating thing for me too.

I can cop being beaten fair-and-square (and even that's open to opinion I know).
But when momentum is the single biggest factor in an elite footy game now, why is it only us fans that endlessly see the tactics used to get it??

In D : Lay all over, wrestle and hold as long as you can to slow us down.

In A : Step off the mark, to the side, wherever and roll the ball back (often not touching it with the foot) and then double-up by Isacc Luke etc. from dummy-half scooping it up and using our markers to shepherd and skip around.

Most of the time if our markers (who are originally in the right spot) tackle or get involved they're penalized for off-side. If they hesitate because the first offence has put them in a doubtful position, Luke and co. chew up metres and that momentum.

I know THEY will say sour-grapes, but it's said elsewhere, even by mates who follow other teams.

If we can all see it and have been seeing it for years now, why the fark can't the pinkies standing next to it??

End of rant...LOL.

HoldenV8 said:
Geez isn't the Souffs love fest in the Nein commentary box in full swing.

I thought the best bit was when Gould asked us to think about everything Souths had achieved in the last three weeks. "they've gone to Canberra and beat them by plenty, they've gone to Cairns and beat Newcastle and now they've beaten Manly" Last time I checked Canberra and Newcastle were coming 14th and 15th respectively. In other words Gus they've beaten one decent side in three weeks.

Brissie Kid said:
How is it crowding when Souths players walk forward off the mark all night?

I cannot find anywhere in the 2014 Edition of the:

"RUGBY LEAGUE LAWS OF THE GAME
INTERNATIONAL LEVEL WITH
NOTES ON THE LAWS AND
NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP INTERPRETATIONS
(APPROVED BY THE AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE COMMISSION)
"

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/ARLRulesbook2014.pdf

where it mentions this supposed "CROWDING" rule.

The only mention of crowding is on page 5 of the separate supplement publication titled:

"2014 NRL LAWS & INTERPRETATIONS"

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2014NRLLawsandInterpretation.pdf

where it states:

Methods that impede the immediate release of the player in possession

a. Flop onto the player in possession who is grounded

b. Working the player in possession

c. Leg pulls

d. Leaving or placing the hands or arms on the ball or the arms of the player in possession once the tackle is complete

e. Spinning on the player in possession once the tackle is complete

f. Defenders ‘peeling off’ the player in possession^

g. Climbing over the player in possession once the tackle is complete

h. Crowding the player in possession once the tackle is complete using their knees, arms or body

i. Pulls the player in possession to the ground once the tackle is complete .

^In a three man tackle the movement shall either be 2 defenders then 1 defender or 1 defender then 2 defenders but not one at a time.

Defenders Responsibilities

» At the completion of the tackle the defenders must take up a position as a Marker or retire the 10 metres

» A Marker must take up a position directly ‘opposite the tackled player’ and not float or be too deep from the play the ball

» The Marker ‘must not kick the ball’ whilst it is being played

» A second Marker ‘must stand immediately and directly behind’ the first marker.

Section 11 (10) (c) (f)

Going by the subject contents of both of the "Methods that impede the immediate release of the player in possession" and "Defenders Responsibilities", it would appear to me that the referees are incorrectly applying the "CROWDING" rule.

Is this supposed "CROWDING" rule being applied to other teams too or is it solely being used against us? It certainly has been used against us on numerous occasions this year and I think that a number may have been against JSL.

That crowding penalty was a long time coming when i heard on the replay a ref telling one of ours (DCE?) to give them room in the play the ball when right on our line. Saw them walking off the mark from the beginning when Inglis took a few metres forward.
But it's our fault when we get up cleanly and they move into us, just like their penalty when both, yes BOTH, refs called milking yet we infringed.

Whatever, end of the day we're still in it come finals time and there we are the professionals

That's all valid and a good Q @Jethro

I'd be happy if they even just penalized em for stepping off the mark once tackled, to get an advantage playing the ball.

You lose count of how often it happens, and it's a basic, fundamental rule that is being totally ignored.

Toovey presser. He has been well and truly neutered by Toddy boy. Compare last year's Souths game presser to this one. Ridiculous. http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=sea-eagles-press-conference_1227018573248&vc=222

RiverEagle said:
That's all valid and a good Q @Jethro

I'd be happy if they even just penalized em for stepping off the mark once tackled, to get an advantage playing the ball.

You lose count of how often it happens, and it's a basic, fundamental rule that is being totally ignored.

Well, it's not like they added a 2nd referee to help police all of that ruck stuff. Oh hang on....

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8