Libs to block Rudd's rescue initiative

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=179100.msg207444#msg207444 date=1234951665]
I think Zep's explanation is pretty old hat. Despite the Unionist scare campaign, the changes made by Hawke and Keating impacted big time on the growth of commercial assets and saw the decline of the Government sector and influence of the unions. While the Workchoices campaign has a fair impact in the last election, it was simply because many Australians saw that the dismissal laws had gone too far.

For example, Rudd and Gillard have not cut back on private school funding, VSU has remained in Uni and the stimulus packages have been intended (rightly or wrongly) to go in part to individuals in order to boost spending in the small business and building sector. There is more Labor could do to support Large and Small business and they will always have to work to keep their Union constituency happy, but my personal opinion is that federally there is a lot of similarities in the overall approach.

For us that is exactly what we will be spending it on. We have some things around the house need doing, some fences,landscaping and blinds. so the stimulus will be spent exactly as intended.....Rudd isn't as dumb as you think, especially given Obama just signed off on another infinitely larger package in the US
[/quote]

One off payments provide a short term stimulus only.  I would have preferred that they postphoned the 9% super contribution for a year or two so that everyone had an extra 9% in their pockets for a year or two. 

This would be much more than $900 and wouldn't have put the country in debt.  The reserve bank wanted to reduce interest rates by 1.5% this month but reduced it by only 1% because of the Rudd package.  I would have rather the extra 0.50% interest rate cut as this again wouldn't cost any money. 

But if you want to spend money then why not give it to the states to abolish payroll tax?  Why do we have a tax on employing people? 

Or just spend money on infrastructure which will employ people and create more jobs as these people spend their salary.  A more lasting effect on the economy than a one off handout.

Has Rudd worked out how he is going to get enough insulation to insulate 2.7m homes yet?  I wonder of they have started building the 20,000 housing commission homes yet so the scum can trash them and then we can pay to repair them again and again?   

ManlyBacker link said:
That's the same post you put up 6 pages ago tookey. Very Turnbull.

Liberal party policy to repeat yourself over and over again.  It saves time having to think of any new policies.  The NSW opposition have used it for years.

Lets wait and see how well the economy is going in three months time.  Rudd is already planning for stimulus number three from what I heard today.  He is obviously not confident that the first two will work.

Michael west has a good article in the SMH this afternoon about our foreign debt which is more than $2.32 trillon dollars which is going to hit us eventually if we don't start working out how to reduce it. 

http://business.smh.com.au/business/dont-mention-the-debt-20090219-8c6e.html?page=1

Tookey don't you understand Rudds policy? - It is just like Bush with Iraq, just keep throwing money at it.

They will be approx 7-9 more for each quarter till the next election

Zep link said:
Tookey don't you understand Rudds policy? - It is just like Bush with Iraq, just keep throwing money at it.

They will be approx 7-9 more for each quarter till the next election

We will need to print a lot more money if we are to follow Bush's example. 

tookey link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=179100.msg207529#msg207529 date=1235022518]

Liberal party policy to repeat yourself over and over again.  It saves time having to think of any new policies.  The NSW opposition have used it for years.

Lets wait and see how well the economy is going in three months time.  Rudd is already planning for stimulus number three from what I heard today.  He is obviously not confident that the first two will work.

Michael west has a good article in the SMH this afternoon about our foreign debt which is more than $2.32 trillon dollars which is going to hit us eventually if we don't start working out how to reduce it. 

http://business.smh.com.au/business/dont-mention-the-debt-20090219-8c6e.html?page=1

[/quote]

I find it amusing that you are blaming Rudd for the economic situation we are in! The libs played up to the banks, allowing all this to happen in the first place!

Dan link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179100.msg207533#msg207533 date=1235024016]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=179100.msg207529#msg207529 date=1235022518]

[/quote]

I find it amusing that you are blaming Rudd for the economic situation we are in! The libs played up to the banks, allowing all this to happen in the first place!
[/quote]

It is actually Paul Keatings fault for degregulating the bank's in the early 1980's.  You cannot trust the Bank's and the huge bad debt write off's by the Bank's in the 1980's were a direct result of Bank dergulation. 

And because the government didn't introduce strong enough regulation then for the bank's it has happened all over again.  Australian banks are nowhere as bad as the US and UK banks. 

I am not blaming Rudd for the current economic problems it is just that I don't see his stimulus packages working.  He is going to put the whole country into debt of $200b over the next 5 years which is going to take a long time to repay and it will cost you a lot more than $900 in higher tax to pay it back. 

Dan this crisis is a direct result of the deregulation of the first term by the Clinton administration.

It is funny, I heard a portion of Howards speech this morning which really did hit a nerve - i will paraphrase.

"It is amazing to hear the current Government say that Australia is in one of the strongest positions to handle the economic crisis while Criticising my term in government for the position that we are in. The two cannot go hand in hand".

He, of course, said it better.

tookey link said:
Has Rudd worked out how he is going to get enough insulation to insulate 2.7m homes yet?  I wonder of they have started building the 20,000 housing commission homes yet so the scum can trash them and then we can pay to repair them again and again?   

Tookey, i can answer this being that i am typing from an insulation factory. It will come from Bradford and fletchers. We have last month just started production at a new factory in Brisbane and last year a second line was installed in China so worst comes to worst imports are available from an Australian owned company. The market is currently flooded.

Zep, Howards speech is very Hypocritical considering he denied Keating had anything to do with the growing economy he took over yet blamed keating for all the bad stuff whilst riding the mining boom keating had set up for him.

For all those people who think these stimulous packages wont help, i heard yesterday that the Christams spend was up 19% on last year.

Fluffy link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179100.msg207521#msg207521 date=1235020696]

Tookey, i can answer this being that i am typing from an insulation factory. It will come from Bradford and fletchers. We have last month just started production at a new factory in Brisbane and last year a second line was installed in China so worst comes to worst imports are available from an Australian owned company. The market is currently flooded.

Zep, Howards speech is very Hypocritical considering he denied Keating had anything to do with the growing economy he took over yet blamed keating for all the bad stuff whilst riding the mining boom keating had set up for him.

For all those people who think these stimulous packages wont help, i heard yesterday that the Christams spend was up 19% on last year.

[/quote]

too true fluffy, i concede that point.

Fluffy link said:

[/quote]

Fluffy you must have been ecstatic to hear Rudd announce insulating 2.7m homes in the package.  Certainly the right industry to be in.  Will they have enough people to instal the insulation though?  I would assume that it will take quie a few years to fully insulate the houses.

Interested to know if Rudd spoke to the industry before he made the announcement hence the extra factory perhaps?

Are you suggesting it was similar to the Howard Government and the tax concessions on MRI machines that mates of the minister managed to buy and benefit from around the time of the announcement????

tookey link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=179100.msg207598#msg207598 date=1235082522]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is actually Paul Keatings fault for degregulating the bank's in the early 1980's.  You cannot trust the Bank's and the huge bad debt write off's by the Bank's in the 1980's were a direct result of Bank dergulation. 

And because the government didn't introduce strong enough regulation then for the bank's it has happened all over again.  Australian banks are nowhere as bad as the US and UK banks. 

I am not blaming Rudd for the current economic problems it is just that I don't see his stimulus packages working.  He is going to put the whole country into debt of $200b over the next 5 years which is going to take a long time to repay and it will cost you a lot more than $900 in higher tax to pay it back. 
[/quote]

and you think Howard wanted to keep the banks government owned?

Yeah pull the other one

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179100.msg207608#msg207608 date=1235085705]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah pull the other one
[/quote]

Keating deregulated the Banking system to allow 16 foreign banks to operate in Australia in the early 1980's.  We have seen recently what reckless lending the US and Uk Banks have done in ther past couple of years and they it was the same back in the eighties but it was in the corporate lending field not residential like it is now.

How do you think Skase, Laurie Connell, and Bond borrowed money?  Because the foreign Banks would lend it to them and the local banks thought that they also had to lend to these clients so that they maintained their market share.

The only Bank that was ever owned by the federal government was the commonwealth bank. Howard had no neeed to keep the Banks government owned because most never were.

He should have introduced more regulation but he didn't.  He also should have spent more on infrastructure and should have culled government grants to private schools.  He should have increased the aged pension and built a reserve of billions of dollars from the mining boom to use now. 

He also should have retired two years before the last election.  Everyone makes mistakes - even Howard.     ;D

tookey link said:
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=179100.msg207662#msg207662 date=1235114339]
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179100.msg207608#msg207608 date=1235085705]

Did you take your medicine today Tooks? You're being disturbingly even handed ;)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah pull the other one
[/quote]

Keating deregulated the Banking system to allow 16 foreign banks to operate in Australia in the early 1980's.  We have seen recently what reckless lending the US and Uk Banks have done in ther past couple of years and they it was the same back in the eighties but it was in the corporate lending field not residential like it is now.

How do you think Skase, Laurie Connell, and Bond borrowed money?  Because the foreign Banks would lend it to them and the local banks thought that they also had to lend to these clients so that they maintained their market share.

The only Bank that was ever owned by the federal government was the commonwealth bank. Howard had no neeed to keep the Banks government owned because most never were.

He should have introduced more regulation but he didn't.  He also should have spent more on infrastructure and should have culled government grants to private schools.  He should have increased the aged pension and built a reserve of billions of dollars from the mining boom to use now. 

He also should have retired two years before the last election.  Everyone makes mistakes - even Howard.    ;D
[/quote]

tookey link said:
[quote author=Fluffy link=topic=179100.msg207625#msg207625 date=1235093654]

[/quote]

Fluffy you must have been ecstatic to hear Rudd announce insulating 2.7m homes in the package.  Certainly the right industry to be in.  Will they have enough people to instal the insulation though?  I would assume that it will take quie a few years to fully insulate the houses.

Interested to know if Rudd spoke to the industry before he made the announcement hence the extra factory perhaps?
[/quote]

A factory is not built in a day, nor a year either for that matter so no.

It was a strategic call in that there is a suitable market for 1 factory in QLD but not 2 and the Aussie market was getting close to outstripping supply (actually it was expected to occur in 2011 not 2008). At the end of the day pure luck and no i am not ecstatic about it as until the market picks up I ahve no money to spend but i am under immence pressure to have produciton at a peak the instant the market picks up.

As for a good industry, with demand comes pressure, if i was in sales then yes i would be happy.

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=179100.msg207366#msg207366 date=1234914015]
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=179100.msg207359#msg207359 date=1234908664]
I'll put my house not only on the ALP winning the next election, but with an increased majority. 

I admit that it will probably take two terms for Rudd's policies to take effect.  At the end of the two terms australia will be at least $200m in debt. 
[/quote]
And Mr Popularity, Costello, will be a footnote in Aussie politics history. If they have a Crown Lager keg I'll get one. Or maybe a nice Tamanian drop. I'm serious, but I cannot see me ever having to provide one.
[/quote]
Turnbull is way behind in the polls with Costello the preferred choice to lead the Libs out of the wilderness. He may need to stop off at a few burning bushes to get advice though. I never thought I would see the day when the Smirkster became the great right hope. Maybe I should save up my pennies for that keg - ha ha ha ha :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8