GAME DAY - Manly v Raiders [Round 23, 2015] Toovey Farewell Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
To be fair, technically Snake was actually offside on the last play. When Jorge played the ball after Skivy's mini break down the left, Snake was actually standing halfway between where Jorge was and where the Raiders line was (as seen here). By the letter of the law, Checcin would have had every right to give Canberra a penalty for offside which at that point would have been game over (I bet Checcin is ruing that he didn't penalise Snake lol)

01be2022862f28d83e9b1ed2e9b40f93.jpg

The rule is that the offside player (in this case Snake) is not allowed to become involved in the play until after the next play the ball. As there were no further tackles completed before Snake scored, Vossy is actually correct in that he was offside. But that is one Checcin blunder I'm glad was made.

I'm left wondering why they bother with touch judges these days. The picture above clearly shows the touch judge having a perfect view of it, yet no call came. And earlier in the game on the far side of the ground Rapana hit Jorge with a shoulder charge right in front of the touch judge and again, no call came.

Last edited:
In a way we were lucky on that last play that Checcin didn't send Snake's game winner upstairs to the video ref because the replay would have killed us right there and then.

Considering all the times we've been Checcined in the past, I'm happy to take this 2 points to the bank.

Yesterdays game showed how far we have come from earlier this year.

Earlier in the season without our 2014 starting props BJ and Star, our forwards were getting rolled and we were losing games through a combination of poor form, poor attitude and injuries. Against Canberra we were again without our best available front row combination with Willie suspended and Jake being a non-factor thanks to twice being concussed.

Yes we jumped to a 16-0 lead early, mostly on the back of brilliant play from our backline. But after Barnett clocked Jake around the head which forced the kid from the field, their forwards started steam rolling ours up the middle and were making easy metres, while the Raiders were also helped by Checcin being Checcin (do we expect any less from him?). Earlier this year we would have dropped our bundle after losing the lead and would have most likely lost the game. But now we're playing with confidence again and the never say die attitude is back.

That never say die Manly spirit is back and that is the difference between winning these games and losing them.

Ceccin asked his pocket ref and he hesitated before giving the try. Its a grey area that one and you see a lot of tries given like that. For once fortune smiled on Manly as we have had many incidents go against us this year. The great thing about yesterday is they hung in there and showed belief and great courage to beat a team that was fired up and playing for their lives. These types of wins breed character and a great lesson for our younger players.

We didn't have a whole lot go our way with some average calls and Jake etc, but looks like we finally got a bit of luck! Apparently he was in front of the initial play the ball.

@AndrewVossy: Confirmation Brett Stewart was offside in matchwinning try for @SeaEagles v @RaidersCanberra .Cannot be run on side. @FOXNRL

Of course you can be run onside. The player in attack is offside until a player in possession runs in front of him.

RL Laws of the Game - Ch14-3(c) - Placed Onside - An offside player is placed onside if: one of his own team in possession of the ball runs in front of him.

Horo edged ahead of Stewart during the play, which put Snake onside and able continue to backup DCE.

Yes, no mention of how Thillo, their star transgender prop, gave away silly penalties.

What I would like to see in these final weeks is a return to good old percentage football. If two easy points are on offer, take them Jamie!

A much closer game than was necessary ensued, courtesy of Ledrick Ee's runaway intercept.

I'm in beautiful fiji for some rest and play,yesterday's game was a heart stopper but boy was I over the moon when Stewart scored at the very end to give us the win,mind you I was the only one in the room who was a manly fan but boy it felt good.eagles4everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

To be fair, technically Snake was actually offside on the last play. When Jorge played the ball after Skivy's mini break down the left, Snake was actually standing halfway between where Jorge was and where the Raiders line was (as seen here). By the letter of the law, Checcin would have had every right to give Canberra a penalty for offside which at that point would have been game over (I bet Checcin is ruing that he didn't penalise Snake lol)

01be2022862f28d83e9b1ed2e9b40f93.jpg

The rule is that the offside player (in this case Snake) is not allowed to become involved in the play until after the next play the ball. As there were no further tackles completed before Snake scored, Vossy is actually correct in that he was offside. But that is one Checcin blunder I'm glad was made.

I'm left wondering why they bother with touch judges these days. The picture above clearly shows the touch judge having a perfect view of it, yet no call came. And earlier in the game on the far side of the ground Rapana hit Jorge with a shoulder charge right in front of the touch judge and again, no call came.

Can you please link to the rule?

I have looked but have only found peoples interpretation of it, not the official wording.

The reason I ask is after the ball is passed snake jogs back behind the play the ball position into a spot that would ahve been onside. So if the rule is like the 10m offside rule i.e. you are back onside once 10m back, not until the next play the ball then he was onside.

Yes, no mention of how Thillo, their star transgender prop, gave away silly penalties.

What I would like to see in these final weeks is a return to good old percentage football. If two easy points are on offer, take them Jamie!

A much closer game than was necessary ensued, courtesy of Ledrick Ee's runaway intercept.

Very rarely do teams take 2 points to increase their lead from 8 to 10 as it means SFA most of the time. i.e. still 2 tries ahead.

The other reason is it is weak, a sign that you dont think you can break their line so gives the opposition a boost.

If you start planning around intercepts then you may as well give up. You need to stop throwing cut out passes, no more offloads etc.

Can you please link to the rule?

I have looked but have only found peoples interpretation of it, not the official wording.
Check out from NRL site laws of the game

http://www.playnrl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ARL-Rules-book-2015.pdf

It seems to be the 'out of play' rule rather than 'off-side', according to the notes to Section 14

SECTION 14 OFFSIDE

Placed onside 3.

An offside player is placed onside if:

(a) an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.

(b) an opponent touches the ball without retaining it.

(c) one of his own team in possession of the ball runs in front of him.

(d) one of his own team kicks or knocks the ball forward and takes up a position in front of him in the field of play.

(e) he retires behind the point where the ball was last touched by one of his own team.

NOTES ….

….

“Out of Play” as opposed to "offside" 3. Players who are out of play at a play-the-ball (Section 11), a scrum (Section 12), a kick off or drop-out (Section 8) a penalty kick (Section 13) or a free kick (Section 13) are not put “onside” in the manner described in para 3 above. (See appropriate Sections).

So, turning to Section 11…

Section 11 (play the ball)

Retire at play-the-ball

(g) players of the side not in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback are out of play if they fail to retire ten (10) metres* from the point at which the ball is played or to their own goal lines. Players of the side in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback must retire behind their players involved in the play-the-ball or to their own goal line. (h) having retired the distance prescribed in the preceding paragraph no player of the team not in possession may advance until the ball has cleared the ruck. A player who is out of play may again take part in the game when the advantage gained by not retiring has been lost.

So it looks like Snake is allowed to take part in the play when his own man has run past him with the ball, despite Snake being out of play at the play-the-ball, because he no longer has any advantage from not retiring at the play the ball…(?!)

What a come back, egg on face much?
Right on Briza I'm still scraping it off my face as a result of my negativity, the boys showed me yesterday that they have the pride in themselves to claw their way back, I won't doubt them again.

Check out from NRL site laws of the game

http://www.playnrl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ARL-Rules-book-2015.pdf

It seems to be the 'out of play' rule rather than 'off-side', according to the notes to Section 14

SECTION 14 OFFSIDE

Placed onside 3.

An offside player is placed onside if:

(a) an opponent moves ten metres or more with the ball.

(b) an opponent touches the ball without retaining it.

(c) one of his own team in possession of the ball runs in front of him.

(d) one of his own team kicks or knocks the ball forward and takes up a position in front of him in the field of play.

(e) he retires behind the point where the ball was last touched by one of his own team.

NOTES ….

….

“Out of Play” as opposed to "offside" 3. Players who are out of play at a play-the-ball (Section 11), a scrum (Section 12), a kick off or drop-out (Section 8) a penalty kick (Section 13) or a free kick (Section 13) are not put “onside” in the manner described in para 3 above. (See appropriate Sections).

So, turning to Section 11…

Section 11 (play the ball)

Retire at play-the-ball

(g) players of the side not in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback are out of play if they fail to retire ten (10) metres* from the point at which the ball is played or to their own goal lines. Players of the side in possession other than the player taking part in the play-the-ball and the acting halfback must retire behind their players involved in the play-the-ball or to their own goal line. (h) having retired the distance prescribed in the preceding paragraph no player of the team not in possession may advance until the ball has cleared the ruck. A player who is out of play may again take part in the game when the advantage gained by not retiring has been lost.

So it looks like Snake is allowed to take part in the play when his own man has run past him with the ball, despite Snake being out of play at the play-the-ball, because he no longer has any advantage from not retiring at the play the ball…(?!)

Awesome, thanks

As I read it the player needs to retire behind the play the ball, the time of this is not specified to be at the time of the play the ball.

Therefore when Brett jogs back behind the play the ball (highlights 3:30 clearly shows this) he has put himself back into the game.

Fair try

Very rarely do teams take 2 points to increase their lead from 8 to 10 as it means SFA most of the time. i.e. still 2 tries ahead.

The other reason is it is weak, a sign that you dont think you can break their line so gives the opposition a boost.

If you start planning around intercepts then you may as well give up. You need to stop throwing cut out passes, no more offloads etc.
Yes I know, however consider this:
If nothing else out of the ordinary happened, Manly would have won that game by a ten point margin, not a two point margin. Instead of being 16 points behind SGI, they would be 8 points behind on for and against. That could prove vital in coming weeks.

Yes I know, however consider this:
If nothing else out of the ordinary happened, Manly would have won that game by a ten point margin, not a two point margin. Instead of being 16 points behind SGI, they would be 8 points behind on for and against. That could prove vital in coming weeks.

Sure, then you must also consider last week and apply the same rule against souths, we don't take the tap and score the first 2 tries and only lead 4 points to 2. Very different game.

Even if it finished the same we are down the same 8 points so F/A remains the same.

True, however maybe a 'reading of the tea leaves' out in the middle would be helpful on occasion. Against Souths the forwards were much more dominant and Souths had already kicked their first points. So they needed to get in front and it was still early days.

Yesterday, Canberra were threatening, after scoring the last 8 poinst in the first half. I thought the time was right for two points, some breathing space and then getting the ball back after the kickoff for another attacking raid.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8