Failing the test of character

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The Knights loss was a very disappointing one
We were hot favourites but were cold on match day

We were not capable of converting any opportunities that we had into points and were left scoreless in the second half
We had the opportunity to take the valuable 2 competition points on offer and consolidate our test of character and our finals team worth but we were not competitive enough on the day .

I was very disappointed in our coaches press conference focusing on excuses and not on our own accountability
Because Losers dwell on excuses
And Winners bathe in their Glory from overcoming adversity

If we are going to be a Title threat we need to understand that Resilience and and being able to over come Adversity is what it will take as excuses are are useless as tits on a bull

Against the Knights we failed the test of character
Time for Des to not only work on team combinations
Time for Des to work on Team character

To Des Hasler .....
Great Leaders do not focus on excuses to justify their failure
Great leaders find a way and prevail

A quote from the Great and Inspiration Leader Winston Churchill
You can measure a mans character he makes by the choices he makes under pressure
View attachment 18269
100% BOZO - you could not be more right.

We were not up to the fight yesterday. We played a park footy team who won for the following four reasons

(1) They made few errors
(2) They were not penalised
(3) We were penalised
(4) We had players who did not show up, and who wanted to coast this in.

If any of the above four had have gone our way, we win this, and the only one in our control was (4) and maybe (3).

Well, the Manly team have 2 weeks to have a think about it, and a good look at themselves. Do they want to have a crack at this premiership or not?.

And let's hope we keep Funa and Walker out of this team.

NYEagle

I think we were flat as a result of the Parramatta game. It was a very emotional as well as tough game for us. I think Parra came out even worse. Am I making excuses? well yes! I do not think we are at the same level as panthers or the storm. In saying this we are not that far off however I am not going to hold on to unrealistic expectations for this year. I will be happy if we make finals and anything else from there will be a bonus.

Attachments

• fff.jpg
    fff.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 7
I think we were flat as a result of the Parramatta game. It was a very emotional as well as tough game for us. I think Parra came out even worse. Am I making excuses? well yes! I do not think we are at the same level as panthers or the storm. In saying this we are not that far off however I am not going to hold on to unrealistic expectations for this year. I will be happy if we make finals and anything else from there will be a bonus.
I know it's not footy related but.....
1622447139663.png

Hey @Red Pill, I knew your avatar reminded me of something.
This great album.

I keep reading all the reasons why we didn’t win, so I won’t rehash them, but what about finding that mental tuffness and ruthlessness to think and preform like winners, we’ve been having these mental weakness’s, drop off in intensity issues, that have to overcome. I would prefer to think that after our last 6 weeks and the great win over Parra that we would be hungry to keep building, we should of been pumped to give it to NC especially knowing we were heading into a week off, the golden opportunity to consolidate our position on the table, working to target our assault on a possible top 4 finish and finally keeping the big picture in mind or dreaming big if you prefer. We have been guilty of dropping these type of games many times in the past, to pencil in a loss to Parra and a win against NC, then see us get up to win against Parra and fall away against an easy 2 points is a killer, we need to work on our mental preparation and intensity regardless of the surrounding circumstance.
We have to find that ability to turn up and play with that hard edge winning attitude week in week out, if we can’t do that we are kidding ourselves. We should never have lost that game yesterday.
I hate this we are building type response and or attitude, don’t get me wrong it’s a good thing going forward, but we’re out there this year and we must think we’re in it this year and play like we want to win every week regardless who we play and what’s happening internally, building that winning culture. Maybe we need some extra mental conditioning, winning psychology sessions to help us focus going into the expect to win games, (as we don’t seem to have a problem getting up mentally for the top sides) if other top sides can focus and preform week in week out, we have to find the hunger and desire to be able to do it as well or we will be just making up the numbers, I‘m not dumping on us, but surely you can see that to improve and become a genuine force, we can’t dish up what we did on the weekend and drop those type of games. I know about our injury toll, I watched the game and know the refereeing was B/S, doesn’t matter, they are must win games and we must find the steel to win them moving forward or we will fail the test of character!

I think some supporters on here are "Failing the test of character" , we played a grand final style game against Doesn'tmatta last week , not to mention the mental strain of losing Bob fulton , don't you think this would of had an affect on their performance this week , not to mention the refereeing , give them a break humans do need time to recover both physically and mentally...​

I think some supporters on here are "Failing the test of character" , we played a grand final style game against Doesn'tmatta last week , not to mention the mental strain of losing Bob fulton , don't you think this would of had an affect on their performance this week , not to mention the refereeing , give them a break humans do need time to recover both physically and mentally...​

I get all that and we just had to dig deep knowing our break was coming, I’m not kicking the boys for their effort there were plenty of factors to consider, just saying we need to find that mental capacity to get the job done, our Match fitness was there even though we didn’t make the best use of our bench, so that’s not the issue, if our mental process was better then maybe we would of prevailed regardless, we had the better side and the ability to get the job done, we just didn’t execute to our potential, I’m sure the boys didn’t see us losing the game leading into Sunday.
The top sides keep turning up and most bar Penrith have had to deal with their fair share of adversity, if we want our game to go to the next level, then mentally we need to be able to do it, it doesn’t just happen, its something we can explore and strengthen.

Test of character and ability to think on your feet and change tact when needed starts at the top.

Unfortunately Des picking Funa at 5/8th was lazy, poorly thought out and showed Newcastle zero respect for the game.
Our attack was completely screwed up with poor Funa being asked to play 5/8th.

Why didn't Des put a trained 5/8 in Croker to 5/8th. Des bought Lawton as a hooker, yet played him in the 2nd row.

This combined with Turbo playing soft so he was right for origin.

Very disappointing as we defended very well and should have scored 20+ points against Newcastle if we picked a real 5/8th.

The Knights loss was a very disappointing one
We were hot favourites but were cold on match day

We were not capable of converting any opportunities that we had into points and were left scoreless in the second half
We had the opportunity to take the valuable 2 competition points on offer and consolidate our test of character and our finals team worth but we were not competitive enough on the day .

I was very disappointed in our coaches press conference focusing on excuses and not on our own accountability
Because Losers dwell on excuses
And Winners bathe in their Glory from overcoming adversity

If we are going to be a Title threat we need to understand that Resilience and and being able to over come Adversity is what it will take as excuses are are useless as tits on a bull

Against the Knights we failed the test of character
Time for Des to not only work on team combinations
Time for Des to work on Team character

To Des Hasler .....
Great Leaders do not focus on excuses to justify their failure
Great leaders find a way and prevail

A quote from the Great and Inspiration Leader Winston Churchill
You can measure a mans character he makes by the choices he makes under pressure
View attachment 18269
1622460799748.png
1622460799748.png

Why didn't Des put a trained 5/8 in Croker to 5/8th.
Because last time he read silvertails the overwhelming majority was Crocker should never play 5/8 again...

I'm sorry but really, those calling out Des for not picking Crocker at 5/8 are in most cases the same posters who wanted Crocker off the books never to play 5/8 again.
So he tried something out of left field, not the first time but this time didn't turn out.
On the back of the worst refereeing performance in 8 years and an injury roll to boot.
Dammed if he does dammed if he doesn't

Because last time he read silvertails the overwhelming majority was Crocker should never play 5/8 again...

I'm sorry but really, those calling out Des for not picking Crocker at 5/8 are in most cases the same posters who wanted Crocker off the books never to play 5/8 again.
So he tried something out of left field, not the first time but this time didn't turn out.
On the back of the worst refereeing performance in 8 years and an injury roll to boot.
Dammed if he does dammed if he doesn't

You are 100% correct, however choosing between Croker and Funa at 5/8 for one match the choice was clear
Croker

Manly showed great character. In 9 sunday backyard footy, Manly were like big brother, newcastle the 'cheeky' little kid who gets away with everything while Referee C (Dad) gives the little fella all the ball and says to Manly.. 'just let him win'.

I'll get my coat

s#!t, where's my volume control!

You are 100% correct, however choosing between Croker and Funa at 5/8 for one match the choice was clear
Croker
Maybe, maybe not, personally I don't think it mattered between the two who played there, we were reffed out of the game but through sheer guts and the fact Newcastle didn't have much we hung in there.

I don't think it was the selection clanger others believe. Left field and hindsight wasn't the best but not going to crucify Des for giving it a shot under the circumstances.

Just my personal opinion is all.

That said if Funa is selected at 5/8 again when other options exist then Des needs ????

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8