Contact Warringah Council Directly [Link Inside]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who will win the battle of the Brookie fees?

• Sea Eagles

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Warringah Council

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • FOLLOW LINK on 1st page of THIS THREAD to TELL COUNCIL YOUR VIEW!

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone know what the FC position on this is? Do they insist we must play the 10 games out of Brookie, irrespective of costs decided on by Warringah Council? Or is there some line in the sand (cost-wise) for them?
Great question

And in such article Joe Kelly says:
“We are not in discussions or made enquiries with any other venue whatsoever,’ he said."

I say absolute BS. What does he take us for :(. 7 weeks out from our first game of the season?! He'd have to be crazy NOT to be in discussions with other venues at this late stage.
In other words he is telling council that we they will eventually pay what they are asking because we have no choice

Off topic does anyone know of accommodation near brookie for round 1. Normally stay at travellodge but booked out. Also do I get tickets through the club because I think she might be a sellout and just usually turn up .
Brad

I live about 4 1/2 hours away and so stay overnight for every game that I attend at brooky

Have stayed at narrabeen sands
Grog- good food- bus stop accross the road and open late enough to enjoy drinks after the game

Free parking

Good coffee and beach for recovery swim the next day

Not sure about the locals thoughts but works for me

If you like pool you can always hussle a couple of bucks on the tables late when the locals are pizzed and off course back manly for a win and it pays for the night

No one is going to win at this rate!
Surely the council have a lot to lose over this as they will have several pissed off constituents if the club is forced out of the ground.
I do think common sense will prevail as there is too much at stake for both parties and the Penns know that when the council mergers are done that any agreements current will most likely be re-negotiated.

Last edited:
There's some interesting reading on the council website.
It states the below;
G: Revenue Derived from Brookvale Oval Usage - Council recommends that the hirer should receive all income derived from their usage, including ticket sales (general admission, corporate tickets and memberships), television rights, signage revenue and food and beverage revenue.

I was of the understanding that signage and catering contracts went to the council previously. Can anyone advise if this is a new benefit to the club or just as it's always been?
Does this mean that selling naming rights is in the hands of MWSE?

It then goes on to say;
In addition please note: The grounds may not be available at NRL standards. and the grounds will not be available if hire fees or outstanding fees are not paid.

Does that then give a guarantee that grounds will be available at NRL standard if the fees are paid? If so, surely that means the club could claim a refund should the surface not be up to scratch, which is a major contributor to the recent problems. Especially given that earlier on the page it explains that the high rates are for NRL/National competitions due to the extra costs involved in getting it to their standards.

I read this, interesting that the fee only applies to NRL as well!
So manly have said they will take on the control of keeping the surface at NRL standard at their cost. The hirer must pay for and organize their own cleaning. Manly put in a large chunk of cash for ground upgrades. What I curious about here, is given the hirer pays for plumbing, water, electricity, and electrician, catering, cleaning and surface maintenance as well as security, What exactly do the council spend the $1m on?

No one is going to win at this rate!
Surely the council have a lot to lose over this as they will have several pissed off constituents if the club is forced out of the ground.
I do think common sense will prevail as there is too much at stake for both parties and the Penns know that when the council mergers are done that any agreements current will most likely be re-negotiated.
And want to go in to new negotiations in the best position.

Just curious........Is Brookvale Oval currently a cash positive asset for the Council ?
And how will that change if Manly leave ?

Is anyone at the council capable of semi-intelligent thought ?

So manly have said they will take on the control of keeping the surface at NRL standard at their cost. The hirer must pay for and organize their own cleaning. Manly put in a large chunk of cash for ground upgrades. What I curious about here, is given the hirer pays for plumbing, water, electricity, and electrician, catering, cleaning and surface maintenance as well as security, What exactly do the council spend the $1m on?

Media releases, same way Manly has the richest jersey but is still losing money

Brad

I live about 4 1/2 hours away and so stay overnight for every game that I attend at brooky

Have stayed at narrabeen sands
Grog- good food- bus stop accross the road and open late enough to enjoy drinks after the game

Free parking

Good coffee and beach for recovery swim the next day

Not sure about the locals thoughts but works for me

If you like pool you can always hussle a couple of bucks on the tables late when the locals are pizzed and off course back manly for a win and it pays for the night
Thanks mate. U wouldn't believe the travelodge emailed me and said they had a cancellation so luckily got in . That sounds bloody good also , ill check that out also as im there for a few days. Cheers mate .

If Manly take on responsibility for keeping the ground at NRL standard, then what additional costs are Warringah Council claiming they incur through leasing to Manly - and therefore feel justified in recovering from Manly? Anything else they get, surely, is marginal profit and not cost recovery. If Manly don't renew, many of the costs of keeping the oval remain.

Until Warringah Council come clean on this, justify this, back this up, IMO they cannot make the claims they are currently making and have any level of credibility. If they say they want to charge more to make a profit, then at least be honest and open about that.

There is a way for supporters to force this issue but I can't see it happening. The majority of the electorate on the Northern Beaches are Manly supporters so when push comes to shove that is one hell of a lobby group. Unfortunately most of these people are also diehard supporters of one side of politics and don't understand the power of creating a sense of doubt in a politicians mind about how secure your vote actually is. If there is one thing State, Federal and Local members understand it is polling.

This is what secures the likes of the Parramatta Eels and Penrith Panthers a seemingly never ending supply of Government cash and support. They don't even need to ask for it half the time, cash just magically arrives every time there is an election regardless of the victor. .

A petition with a few thousand signatures and follow up campaign sent to Baird, Abbott and the Liberal members of Warringah council which politely explains why failing to ensure that our Eagles remain at Brookvale will result in the loss of your support is something that will get their attention. For the diehard members of the LNP, dont get me wrong. Im not saying you need to vote for the other side, you just need to create a little doubt in their minds about the safety of their seat. They are elected to represent the electorate and if they are not reminded of this once in a while then nothing gets done. The Northern Beaches are the prime example of safe seat neglect.

ive just submitted mycomments at yoursaywarringah. Let's ensure we make the effort to not only show our bewilderment here, but through the official channel!

The Penns will win.

Either Council buckle and give them a lower rate, or they move the games elsewhere and pay a lower rate.

Win win.

Sea Eagle Members are receiving an email with a link to making an on-line submission to Warringah Council about Brookvale Oval hiring fees. Submissions close 4 February.

I just sent this:

As a long time Sea Eagle supporter and member of the District club, temporarily residing out of area, I urge Council to do everything possible to allow the Sea Eagles to continue at Brookvale Oval. I urge Council to consider all options for hiring the ground to the Sea Eagles in the immediate term, and also to explore all possibilities for the longer term including involving the state Government and NRL to develop a viable plan for the future of Brookvale Oval.

The plan must include an upgrade to facilities because people in the area cannot be expected to travel all the way to Parramatta, Homebush or Moore Park in order to attend a modern multi-purpose venue.

The Sea Eagles must remain based at Brookvale because history and culture are important and in addition to that a lot of commercial benefits flow to the area because of the presence of the Sea Eagles.

Each electorate has their own budgets, cashflows, financials & targets.

What people are suggesting, that in a day where some local governments make a loss, is that they lose an additional 1 million (or whatever that is) of income, then demand they shell out tens of millions for upgrades.

It's just not financially viable. Things are much tighter than people think. Reagen doesn't really have too many options.

That being said, I feel the revenue streams of Warringah Council are extremely unbalanced, and have always thought an independent review of their budget is required.

There is a reason Pittwater Council have much more available capital for infrastructure improvement or whatever it needs to do.

People don't know the mechanations of the budgets here. Trust me, The Mayor may want in his heart of hearts to help our Eagles out (I have personally spoken to him), but he is hamstrung by a tight and limited budget. The thought of losing this revenue could spell disaster for the council, as much as we all want to disbelieve that.

Hell, the amount of fighting The Mayor has done for our club against the likes of Kirsch, who would see us done with is amazing.

This isn't just the council simply agreeing to reduce the rates and pay more guys. Penn and Kelly would know that as well.

Actually, scratch what I said above. I've done a review. Been a very long time since I've reviewed all this. They CAN afford it. Here is their 14 / 15 numbers for all to see (and I'll summarise for everyone):-

WARRINGAH COUNCIL
Income
Rates & Annual Fees 96,578,000
User Charges & Fees (Ground hires etc) 42,004,000
Interest and Investment Income 3,305,000
Other Revenue 11,1980,000
Grants & Contributions (for operating purposes) 8,912,000
Grants & Contributions (for Capital Purposes) 14,361,000
Sale of assets 1,777,000
TOTAL INCOME: 178,135,000

Expenses
Employee Wages 62,366,000
Borrowing Costs 951,000
Materials & Contracts 56,594,000
Depreciation & Amortisation 15,653,000
Other Expenses: 20,422,000
TOTAL EXPENSES: 155,986,000

TOTAL PROFIT + DEPREC: 37,802,000 for the 14/15 year.

This says to me they have plenty of room to negotiate rent. When you send your emails in, use these numbers.

For the record, in 13/14, there was a 26,419,000 profit, so in a year they increased profits plus add backs by 43%, they are smashing The Sea Eagles.

Go get em guys !!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8