Contact Warringah Council Directly [Link Inside]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who will win the battle of the Brookie fees?

• Sea Eagles

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Warringah Council

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • FOLLOW LINK on 1st page of THIS THREAD to TELL COUNCIL YOUR VIEW!

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

Eagleheart

Bencher
Have your say about Warringah Council's Brookvale Oval Fees and Charges 2015/2016.

http://yoursaywarringah.com.au/fees...d=feedback-form3711111&ts=1452900143#tool_tab

View attachment 2926

Manly Sea Eagles being ‘bullied’ over change to rent at Brookvale Oval

December 18, 2015 9:00pm
Sarah Swain and Julie Cross Manly Daily

MANLY Sea Eagles and Warringah Council have agreed a secret deal on unpaid rent for Brookvale Oval. But Manly is fuming after the council introduced new costs for hiring the ground next season.

The club was being “bullied”, chairman Scott Penn said.

Warringah Council said the fees reflected the true cost of hiring the grounds on an ad hoc basis, which the ratepayers would otherwise have to fork out for.

Following the deal on unpaid fees, the council said it was “more than happy” to negotiate a license with the Sea Eagles for the 2016 season.

Without a licence to hire, the ground will now cost about $45,000 plus GST, roughly the same as last year, but cleaning, staff and utility fees on top would take the total bill per match to about $60,000, a cost the council previously covered.

Mr Penn said the club was up for a fight.

“We have tried to negotiate a fair and reasonable hiring fee for 2016 and it is clear the council are making it difficult for us to play at Brookie. We are not going anywhere and are up for the fight,” he said.

“The costs are already exorbitant by any stadia standard yet they want to hit us for more. Clearly they no longer want the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval.

“They are threatening a shut-out which we will defend like it is the Alamo. We refuse to be bullied or stood over.”

The club was also angered by new terms and conditions for next season which do not guarantee the ground being up to NRL standard.

“They want to charge more than $60,000 a home game and can’t guarantee the ground being up to what is required for an elite national competition. What type of organisation can make such a suggestion?” Mr Penn said.

Ten games are scheduled already, starting on Friday, March 4. Warringah Mayor Michael Regan has said the council did not want to be a “scapegoat” over rumoured plans for the club to move to Gosford.

A council spokeswoman said: “Late last year the Manly Sea Eagles cancelled their lease with Warringah Council for the use of Brookvale Oval and have not yet entered into negotiations for the 2016 season.

“At Tuesday night’s council meeting it was resolved to introduce new fees and charges to allow for NRL games to be played at Brookvale Oval as part of a booking fee system rather than a leasing system.

“This will allow any NRL team to book the oval at similar cost per game to last year so long as they have no outstanding debts with council.”

Councillors agreed to the new fees going on exhibition for 50 days.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t-brookvale-oval/story-fngr8hax-1227667338052

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for the amalgamation to get rid of this arse clowns

The club got absolutely shafted by the council last year when the ground was in such poor shape that only the first team played there for the first half of the season.

Penn is dead right in demanding a fairer deal and with the council amalgamations taking place there is likely to be a new negotiation talking place.

It still disturbs me that this is unresolved as we are inside 3 months away from the first game. I just hope we can get on with it and hopefully the new council will start to implement plans for the ground as its badly overdue.

Let's hope these council amalgamations are in our favour with some new councillors on our side.

I believe the Penns would love to be able to take 6 games away from Brookie each year and only play the smaller pulling teams at home.

Can't say I blame them even though Brookie has to be our home. The council is making it easy for them to be able to do this.

I expect that when the new Sydney Stadium is built, we will be playing at least 4 games a year there. I would back this against teams like parra, dogs, Souths and maybe roosters. This should ensure crowds of 20,000+ which we can't get at Brookie. The other 2 would be 1 at Gosford and one interstate.

The 6 games at Brookie will appease the Manly fans that won't travel. Those games the penns will just hope to break even.

Purely speculation on my part but I can see it happening. Especially with a pigheaded council charging exorbitant costs.

This would be the best result in that we as Manly fans can get the best of both worlds. Games at our spiritual home and games at a modern stadium with a bigger capacity.

Even if they do get a Brookie upgrade, no way will they fit in above 18,000 in the future....if that.

Bring on the new council and some decent people to negotiate with until this new Sydney Stadium is built.

Can't wait for the amalgamation to get rid of this arse clowns
So you haven't been following the shenanigans at Manly Council then, under the tutelage of Lizarko's sister (she should have retired years ago), who is also married to the spectacularly incompetent Greiner-era minister David Hay?

Last edited:
Let's hope these council amalgamations are in our favour with some new councillors on our side.

I believe the Penns would love to be able to take 6 games away from Brookie each year and only play the smaller pulling teams at home.

Can't say I blame them even though Brookie has to be our home. The council is making it easy for them to be able to do this.

I expect that when the new Sydney Stadium is built, we will be playing at least 4 games a year there. I would back this against teams like parra, dogs, Souths and maybe roosters. This should ensure crowds of 20,000+ which we can't get at Brookie. The other 2 would be 1 at Gosford and one interstate.

The 6 games at Brookie will appease the Manly fans that won't travel. Those games the penns will just hope to break even.

Purely speculation on my part but I can see it happening. Especially with a pigheaded council charging exorbitant costs.

This would be the best result in that we as Manly fans can get the best of both worlds. Games at our spiritual home and games at a modern stadium with a bigger capacity.

Even if they do get a Brookie upgrade, no way will they fit in above 18,000 in the future....if that.

Bring on the new council and some decent people to negotiate with until this new Sydney Stadium is built.
You are pretty close to the mark except the plan from the NRL is to only play 3 games at brookie each year and they will be known as back to brookie games/days

Did I read it right that it will be the same fee for manly to play there as any other team. Surely the council has a responsibility to the businesses around the area and the manly fans in the area. Let alone what would happen to the ground if manly didn't play there.

That's what the council wants - no football but is nice dog walking and freebie park

I think these amalgamations will make things worse. It looks like Brookvale will be part of the new Manly/Mosman Council. I cant see Councillors from the Mosman area supporting anything to do with rugby league.

No different to councillors who live in Brookvale.

Eagles Nest on FB is saying that "Manly are just about confirmed to play at Brookie next season with a deal being struck with Warringah Council".

Funny what google tosses up when searching for Manly heritage jersey. Game at Brookvale in 1947 is painting in NSW Art Gallery. Manly had blue shorts?

2-226053-Main-476x357-2.jpg

Weaver Hawkins (1893-1977), Dance of the football field (detail), 1947, from the collection of the Art Gallery NSW
by English-born artist Harold Frederick Weaver Hawkins, who settled with his family in Mona Vale, NSW, after being severely wounded in the First World War. , Dance of the football field (1947), depicting a game between league teams Balmain and Manly and held in the collection of the Art Gallery of NSW, features at the top of this article.
http://www.artshub.com.au/news-article/features/all-arts/richard-watts/the-art-of-football-245894

I think these amalgamations will make things worse. It looks like Brookvale will be part of the new Manly/Mosman Council. I cant see Councillors from the Mosman area supporting anything to do with rugby league.
Exactly. Both Manly and Mosman have their own boutique little grounds. It's hard to see either area wanting to support any serious effort to maintain and upgrade Brookvale. And even allowing for the very high rateable value of land in their current boundaries, it's debatable whether the new (assuming it goes ahead as planned) council will have a higher rateable income than it does now. And don't expect 'greater Pittwater' to come to the party.

It can be seen as an exercise in Baird and Stokes, looking to shore up their vote at the next state poll. Presumably Hazzard is leaving politics at the next election, so it doesn't matter if his seat encompasses a big area that's going Pittwater's way. Hazzard's electorate is getting the new hospital and accompanying roadworks anyway, so maybe it's a quid pro quo situation.

Meanwhile 5 years into office and Mona Vale Rd is still to see a sod turned on its long-mooted upgrade and Warringah Rd is only being upgraded because of the new hospital. And Brookvale Oval is still to see a red cent from the state government. Hence Baird and Stokes are keen to push this through.

Last edited:
Funny what google tosses up when searching for Manly heritage jersey. Game at Brookvale in 1947 is painting in NSW Art Gallery. Manly had blue shorts?

2-226053-Main-476x357-2.jpg

Weaver Hawkins (1893-1977), Dance of the football field (detail), 1947, from the collection of the Art Gallery NSW
by English-born artist Harold Frederick Weaver Hawkins, who settled with his family in Mona Vale, NSW, after being severely wounded in the First World War. , Dance of the football field (1947), depicting a game between league teams Balmain and Manly and held in the collection of the Art Gallery of NSW, features at the top of this article.
http://www.artshub.com.au/news-article/features/all-arts/richard-watts/the-art-of-football-245894
Well things haven't changed much, the Tigers number 9 still has to be the centre of attention.;)

You are pretty close to the mark except the plan from the NRL is to only play 3 games at brookie each year and they will be known as back to brookie games/days
So if it does happen that down the track we have just three "back to Brookie" games, how does this provide enough financial resources from fees to Council to cover maintaining the ground to NRL standard for those three games?

If the Council reckons they are losing money and don't want to be the scapegoat, why don't they just offer Manly a $1 p.a. lease (possibly with restrictions built in that the ground be available to the public), with Manly responsible to meet NRL ground standards, cleaning, maintenance, etc?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6