Brett (on one leg) Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bencher
The Prince of Brookvale seems to have lost his crown over the last couple of years, as age, and injuries catch up to the great man. Things have gone very quiet on this front, and I would have thought there are enough of us on here, who would be in the know, or see Snake around the peninsula, and give us an update on his progress, or future plans.

The last I read was back in August, MMM said he had knee surgery, and he had complications with an infection. They also said that Manly are willing to honour his final year contract, "if, Brett chooses to stay", but he was free to look at other options if he desires. It was also stated that he was working hard to regain match fitness after his surgery, and his manager had not been contacted by other clubs (lol).

So, where are we at with the Snake? Surely his infection has been attended to, and with a long off season, he should be recovering now?

If Snakes head is right, I'm happy to give Tommy a run at Centre for the year, and give Brett his final year at Fullback. Can anyone shed some light on his progress, that is an update from August?

Brett is on holidays overseas seeing family and friends in UK. Probably there to watch the 4 nations? and see if there are any takers to continue his career. Think I heard he was away till end of the month early November. Does pommy warm beer fix infected knees? or make him faster? If so I hope he's drinking kegs.

A fit and motivated Snake is first choice fullback. If his form doesn't come up to scratch then we have TT as a ready made replacement.

If Snake delivers then Tommy plays centre or wing depending if Skivvi pulls up from his op. Also a little dependent on whether we sign another centre or not I suppose (i.e Whare rumours). The conundrum then is who misses out on a wing spot between Uate and Horhay.

Realistically though I have a feeling Snake won't be back, sad as that is.

TT is a better fullback that Brett Stewart at the current point in time.

Sure, at the current time, you would have to say TT is better than Snake. But, considering they were both on one leg, It's easy to forget just how good, safe, exciting, and experienced Brett Stewart was. TT is the long term choice for fullback, of course.

If, a bit if, Snake has a successful result from the opp, regains peak fitness, and rekindle that Manly Spirit, why wouldn't Manly give him his final year at the back? Bare in mind I think we are paying him $700k? I believe it's totally Snakes choice, and Manly are giving him the option to shop around for a longer term contract, out of respect for this great clubman.

Turbo would slip into centre's, solve our only real positional problem, and I have no doubt he would star in that roll as well...

As an all time favourite player, was preying for the Vintage Brett Stewart to step up in 2016 & backed him to do so....the saddest part for me was watching an absolute Champion attempting to play on busted, with his blinding speed shot.....& worse still - to see his confidence & effort also dissolve....
Never write off a Champion ??? well its pretty damn close & don't want to see him play play on if there's not a marked improvement from day 1 in 2017....sad for the fans but more importantly for Stewart, who has been up with Lyon as the Lynch pin at Manly during the Golden Era....

Brett Stewart runs the ball back and immediately submits to any tackle on him. He runs in second gear, doesn't want to tackle and looks disinterested.
Where is the comparison with Tom? You are all reliving past glories that have ended.
and that was last season that you are judging him on ... its unlikely to have changed much but if he is back to anywhere near his best at the start of the season he deserves a chance .... 1 game will tell

I can't stomach anymore of his kick returns. Not ideal to begin sets that way.

Unfortunately because of his leg injuries, Snake submits too easily in tackles and also because of those injuries he just does not have the speed to run around defenders like he used to. On a kick return these days if he makes more than 10 metres he is doing well. Often we were getting about 5 metres from him at a time. Compare that to what we saw from Tom this year when he was the fullback.

Snake averaged 53.3 metres per game in 11 games in 2016. Tom averaged 163.6 metres per game in 13 games at fullback (this does not include the 30-odd minutes from the 2nd half against Newcastle on Anzac Day).

Tom gave us just over 110 more metres from fullback PER GAME than Snake did this year. That's a bloody big difference and although Snake was only on one good leg.....so was Tom.

Last edited:
The games not just about metres gained.

Perhaps the stats will prove me wrong. But even in 2015 snake had his weaknesses he didn't run the ball back hard. He Submitted in tackles yep. His Metres gained would have been poor.

But he still had his positives in 2015 he set up plenty of our try's, scored stacks as well. His defence and positional play was spot on. His organisation / talk was the crux of our entire teams defence.

2016 I say he was injured, physically, mentally what ever but not himself.

In 2017 snake will have his strengths and weaknesses. But if we only got back even the 2015 version. That's good enough to be our first choice fullback for mine.

It's what's between the ears you can't teach.

And don't be surprised if Tommy T dosent find out about the terrible 2's next year. Plenty of young kids have stared in their first full time debut year, to come crashing back down to earth, the following year when opposition players and coaches start to work them out.

Snake an experienced campaigner who has only let us down for the first time this year.

He'll be back.

The games not just about metres gained.

Perhaps the stats will prove me wrong. But even in 2015 snake had his weaknesses he didn't run the ball back hard. He Submitted in tackles yep. His Metres gained would have been poor.

But he still had his positives in 2015 he set up plenty of our try's, scored stacks as well. His defence and positional play was spot on. His organisation / talk was the crux of our entire teams defence.

2016 I say he was injured, physically, mentally what ever but not himself.

In 2017 snake will have his strengths and weaknesses. But if we only got back even the 2015 version. That's good enough to be our first choice fullback for mine.

It's what's between the ears you can't teach.

And don't be surprised if Tommy T dosent find out about the terrible 2's next year. Plenty of young kids have stared in their first full time debut year, to come crashing back down to earth, the following year when opposition players and coaches start to work them out.

Snake an experienced campaigner who has only let us down for the first time this year.

He'll be back.
It doesn't matter how good Snake feels physically if mentally he has checked out. This season physically and mentally he was far from 100%. Best case scenario for 2017, Snake is fine mentally/physically and he gives Baz a selection headache.

It doesn't matter how good Snake feels physically if mentally he has checked out. This season physically and mentally he was far from 100%. Best case scenario for 2017, Snake is fine mentally/physically and he gives Baz a selection headache.
I don't know the blokes character but if he does have a swansong final year with let's hope he ends his career with enthusiasm and intent. For a champion to go down without barely a whimper in his last few years with us would be a great shame. Thank God for YouTube highlight reels lol

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8