2016 NRL Grand Final - Sharks v Storm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I liked the "feathered friend" sign off. How about a compromise where every second post signs off with it?
Ok feathered friend . Birds of a feather stick together in the good times and the hard times
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!! :)
11059440_947786021945500_6665840093732400263_n.jpg

My wishes:
1. A shocking game of football littered with mistakes (torrential rain would be good)
2. Green to knock on over the line in the 80th minute, only for 3rd ref to get the decision incorrect and award the try
3. Cronulla fans riot in the streets
4. It is later revealed that the storm are over the cap, another premiership is stripped off them, and Cronulla are left feeling even MORE ripped off as the NRL doesn't appoint them premiers in retrospect

Just read that Foxtel won't be broadcasting the GF live, so unless you want to wait until 930pm for the replay it's Chan 9 or listen on radio!!

"Raise the bar". I dont think so. Storm are the ultimate in cynical game managers - a blight on the game with their win at all costs, wrestling-based percentage game. Rather than raising the bar - if there were 16 teams like the Storm in the comp, the game would be dead in 5-10 years. No one could stand the boredom.

To me the Storm play the way they do because the NRL allow it, they are always reactive to what coaches come up with to be successful.

Think back to when Ricky Stuart had the Chooks on top in early 2000's, he was the catalyst for what we have now.
He knew that the speed of the ruck was where the game is dominated so what did he do?
He coached his players to submit in the the tackle even to point of diving on the ground to get a quick play the ball, dummy half bursts at a retreating defence found them wanting or conceding penalties.
The NRL in their wisdom came up with the "dominant tackle" interpretation which allowed the defensive team more time to release and get set. Of course coaches worked out if you can make the tackle a dance ( keeping them on their feet and keep them moving slowly then the refs determine the ruck speed ) or wrestle and turn them around or on their back to slow the ruck down.

The NRL morphed the game into what it is today and astute coaches like Bellamy keep one step ahead of them.

Yes, they may be called cynical game managers but they are the best at it and it's Bellamy's job to win, that's what professional sport is about.

What would you rather, making GF's by managing the rules or play pretty and come 12th?

"Raise the bar". I dont think so. Storm are the ultimate in cynical game managers - a blight on the game with their win at all costs, wrestling-based percentage game. Rather than raising the bar - if there were 16 teams like the Storm in the comp, the game would be dead in 5-10 years. No one could stand the boredom.
There basically has been 16 teams that play like or try to incorporate what Melb do well into their styles of play since 2006/7 and the game did not die in that 10yr period.

I find it more boring when fatigue based tries and show and goes become the dominant form of attack, there has to be a balance.

What we are seeing now take place is teams are starting "finally" catching up and realising the power and simplicity of harnessing the power forward department which is creating more fatigue based tries and defensive structure errors off the back of fatigue but also nice second phase play.(also power players running hard and straight brings in an extra outside shoulder defender to help out due to worrying the inside shoulder will not be able to defend one on one)

Footwork in both the forwards and outside backs is improving at a fast rate also to take advantage of more one on one opportunities and fatigued defensive lines. The actual reduction of the interchange has not done much(it has helped but not as much as people think) in speeding up the game but the swing in upping the size and power of teams is starting to show up fatigue more

Cronulla run some of the most poor overly deep too far away from the defensive line attacking back-line structures, poor running lines also but compensate in other areas off the back of second phase play from an ever improving forward pack that allows one on one space for the outside backs against broken or sucked in defensive lines.

If Cronulla are capable of generating offloads, nice change of direction ball movement through the middle to outer third to suck in the outside defenders of the Storm and play with power they have a good chance against the Storm. (In a similar way Manly played in 08)

If the Storm control Cronulla's forwards reduce the offloads and the ball movement is limited Cronulla does not have the clinical attacking structures to worry the Storm or induce defensive structure errors.

To me the Storm play the way they do because the NRL allow it, they are always reactive to what coaches come up with to be successful.

Think back to when Ricky Stuart had the Chooks on top in early 2000's, he was the catalyst for what we have now.
He knew that the speed of the ruck was where the game is dominated so what did he do?
He coached his players to submit in the the tackle even to point of diving on the ground to get a quick play the ball, dummy half bursts at a retreating defence found them wanting or conceding penalties.
The NRL in their wisdom came up with the "dominant tackle" interpretation which allowed the defensive team more time to release and get set. Of course coaches worked out if you can make the tackle a dance ( keeping them on their feet and keep them moving slowly then the refs determine the ruck speed ) or wrestle and turn them around or on their back to slow the ruck down.

The NRL morphed the game into what it is today and astute coaches like Bellamy keep one step ahead of them.

Yes, they may be called cynical game managers but they are the best at it and it's Bellamy's job to win, that's what professional sport is about.

What would you rather, making GF's by managing the rules or play pretty and come 12th?
Cronulla were diving at the legs of defenders back in the 90's in a much more obvious in your face way.

Translation - the storm will probably strangle the life out of this game, like they do most games.
They didn't in 08 and have been struggling more so in the last 5yrs due to being off the pace in the forward department in general.

Yes in 08 the Storm lacked the leadership and composure of Smith on the field but i still think Manly would of still won easily.

Forwards have improved at the Storm but are still off the pace but less so than previous years (they perform well as a structured unit though), both teams can learn from 08 to improve their chances in this GF.

The ****ing storm will beat the ****ing sharks!

Don't believe me? Crawl over to your bookcase and drag out your copy of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". (Sun Tzu was a great Chinese coach, btw) Find the chapter entitled "know your enemy".

This is the same text book used by Qld for years when facing Gallen. That is why they beat whatever team he leads nearly EVERY TIME! They know how to beat HIM! (Someone from Qld said this a couple of months back!)

I have an original copy autographed by Sun Tzu. It's for sale!
(I went to his book signing...)

I have recorded some synchronised swimming to watch in case this sort of match-up eventuated...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4