Young bucks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
It's no secret that I am very concerened about our forward depth (or lack of it). Sione alphabet and Afamagasa have been underwhelming in the trials from all I've heard and Cuthbertson must have slept with Hasler's daughter, he is that far out of favour.

There are two names that keep returning to me - young blokes who could step up and fill the gaps that will appear as the season wear on:

Offerdahl
Trembath

They're only twenty and it's a big ask, but there rare plenty of examples of twenty year olds taking the world by storm. We have a good side but if we want a Premiership we are going to need these two blokes to stand up and be counted.

Thoughts?

I just dont know if either will get a real chance. Would i be right in thinking that Hall, Alphabet are the current chosen prop backups for bench Rose & Bryant.

Im still hopeful of halfasanga being the surprise packet for us in the backrow. Someone else said something similar (utility Player?) but I just have a feeling about the guy.

There's plenty to be hopeful about in the lower grades, the only thing is that Des would rather put them in a season or two late than a season early which is frustrating.

I thought it was reported that Afamasaga played well in the Melbourne trial? I'm also hopeful for him being a 'surprise packet'.

I'm always worried about the team, who's coming up and, if there is anyone to come up and yes, the forwards could be our archilles heel this year. However they really just have to hold the opposition and perhaps that's within them (Toovs can assist). If the forwards can do that job then we've got a great backline to capitalize on possession. To win anything what a team needs is brains around the scrum base. I'm hopeful Ox and Lyon have those. This season I'm going to get to the games early to actually see just how the PLers play, then I can comment with more thought on the bench and potentials. Pity there were no trials in Sydney though.

i wouldnt expect Des to shoot them straight into first grade but both players are high class. If they rip up in PL i hope they get a chance. Trenbath is a big boy but i doubt his fitness will be there at this stage

It was indicated yesterday on the radio that choc could be out for anything from 2 to 4 weeks and from all reports Beaver's fitness is suspect.

I would love to have Trembath and Offerhahl in first grade this year but I think that it would be a year too early

Dessie may have no choice but to put Cuthbo in firsts. Afamasaga probably needs a couple of Pl games first because he hasn't played much in the last 2 years.

I thought it was reported that Afamasaga played well in the Melbourne trial? I'm also hopeful for him being a 'surprise packet'.

My mail from that game is that he was hopeless. Fat, slow and terrible hands.

from what i heard he was all;right in defence but didnt do much in attack - unfortunatly we already have willo and stewy2 who can cover that role, so unless we add omealy to our roster we need a backrower with some attacking skills.

he was hopeless. Fat, slow and terrible hands.

Yes but he has a winning personality :dance:

But seriously.....he will have to put some time in PL before we can really assess him. He previously had rave reports on his skills, so I will stay hopeful for the timebeing.

Keep in mind that the Eels had bugger all forwards at the back end of last season and he still didn't get a run. There are plenty of PL players over at the Eels who got a run ahead of him last year (Zeb Taia and company).

Keep in mind that the Eels had bugger all forwards at the back end of last season and he still didn't get a run. There are plenty of PL players over at the Eels who got a run ahead of him last year (Zeb Taia and company).

Wasnt he injured during that time when the eels foward ranks were descimated ??

If he does turn out to be a dud and it was that obvious that he lacked abilities in comparison to no names like Taia, that could be a worrying indicator of our recruitment processes.

Sue said he was terrible in the Storm game but there were good reports about him from the PL trial the following week against the Dogs.

I also thought he was injured last year and unavailable for Parra.

[quote author=Downie]

My mail from that game is that he was hopeless. Fat, slow and terrible hands.

[/quote]

Are you sure that were looking at Afamasaga or one of our existing props?

People are writing off Afamsanga...re-watch the Storm highlights guys, and check out his transition passes to Hicks....I thought that was pretty good, fast and mobile..

Ill be getting down to watch all of PL to get a good look at the guy. Cant wait to see some of these new faces, hopefully Trembath and Offerdahl get a run in PL as well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4