Yet another dan debate for settling

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I am having a bit of a debate with a friend who I have mocked a little for the amount of forward passes he throws when we pla touch or oz tag.

I keep criticising his technique and mainly his foot placement.

I maintain that to make the ball go back it's not just about hands and playing off the front and back foot impact the direction of the ball.

So my question is, do you think playing off the front foot will result in more forward passes, playing off the back foot will result in more, or do you think there is no real difference.

I can attest that there is a difference I see if every game I reg but I will leave that opinion to myself of exactly which I believe as not to influence debate.

Dan

I am having a bit of a debate with a friend who I have mocked a little for the amount of forward passes he throws when we pla touch or oz tag.

I keep criticising his technique and mainly his foot placement.

I maintain that to make the ball go back it's not just about hands and playing off the front and back foot impact the direction of the ball.

So my question is, do you think playing off the front foot will result in more forward passes, playing off the back foot will result in more, or do you think there is no real difference.

I can attest that there is a difference I see if every game I reg but I will leave that opinion to myself of exactly which I believe as not to influence debate.

Dan

I think it makes no difference. I think it is the placement of the hands and rotation of the torso.

I think it makes no difference. I think it is the placement of the hands and rotation of the torso.

I agree. Your friend would love your criticism so keep it up week after week!

I think forward passes would be more frequent off the back foot pivot.

However I also agree with eagleE in saying that you can have no trouble with either, it's just how you release the ball.

But I think today's rule allows a plethora of forward passes that the game allows just to keep it free flowing. It's the union of the 80's.

I agree. Your friend would love your criticism so keep it up week after week!

I think forward passes would be more frequent off the back foot pivot.

However I also agree with eagleE in saying that you can have no trouble with either, it's just how you release the ball.

But I think today's rule allows a plethora of forward passes that the game allows just to keep it free flowing. It's the union of the 80's.

I believe playing off the back foot reduces body rotation and will lead to a greater chance of a forward pass. I am sure that's what my coach told me..

eagleE said:

Yes but playing off back foot and front foot affect the body rotation. This is why the quick inside ball to the left often goes forward from the pass that arrived from the left, because you have to catch it then turn off your back foot and your body rotation isn't the same.

Off the front foot you can rotate your body more and a lot more easily.

eagleE said:

Yes but playing off back foot and front foot affect the body rotation. This is why the quick inside ball to the left often goes forward from the pass that arrived from the left, because you have to catch it then turn off your back foot and your body rotation isn't the same.

Off the front foot you can rotate your body more and a lot more easily.

voicefromthehill said:
I believe playing off the back foot reduces body rotation and will lead to a greater chance of a forward pass. I am sure that's what my coach told me..

This is the way I see it too. I see it so often when refereeing and when I defend in Oz Tag I try to force the player to play off their back foot by cutting their options and getting the forward pass call (As well as throwing my arms in the air and saying "Reeeeeffffffffffff, that's forward")

The player in question tries to run from dummy half, looks at the defensive line a thousand times, stutters his run, and then throws about 1.5m forward and always off of the back foot. I keep telling home take that extra half step and throw it off the front foot, but he then over thinks it and cocks it up as well. He isn't a skilled player to begin with and has to think about everything he is doing

voicefromthehill said:

This is the way I see it too. I see it so often when refereeing and when I defend in Oz Tag I try to force the player to play off their back foot by cutting their options and getting the forward pass call (As well as throwing my arms in the air and saying "Reeeeeffffffffffff, that's forward")

The player in question tries to run from dummy half, looks at the defensive line a thousand times, stutters his run, and then throws about 1.5m forward and always off of the back foot. I keep telling home take that extra half step and throw it off the front foot, but he then over thinks it and cocks it up as well. He isn't a skilled player to begin with and has to think about everything he is doing

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Play NRL then it won't matter.

NRL foward passes pale in significance to Rugby Yawnion whaich at times could be mistaken for NFL!!

I think a good ball player can pass off either front or back foot & the most importantant thing is body position.
If you are attacking direct the chances are better of getting the pass right as facing foward you have a true indication of the angle of the pass.
Travelling sideways or diagonal its far easier to misjudge the pass & the slightest poor timing from the distributer or the runner can lead to that overly flat pass.
He could also be a victim Dan of propping at the line & often a good ball player will stop or travel backwards at the defence line engaging the X defender, presenting a gap for the runner, often looking like a foward pass but is really the perfect pass.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Play NRL then it won't matter.

NRL foward passes pale in significance to Rugby Yawnion whaich at times could be mistaken for NFL!!

I think a good ball player can pass off either front or back foot & the most importantant thing is body position.
If you are attacking direct the chances are better of getting the pass right as facing foward you have a true indication of the angle of the pass.
Travelling sideways or diagonal its far easier to misjudge the pass & the slightest poor timing from the distributer or the runner can lead to that overly flat pass.
He could also be a victim Dan of propping at the line & often a good ball player will stop or travel backwards at the defence line engaging the X defender, presenting a gap for the runner, often looking like a foward pass but is really the perfect pass.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4