World cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Uk eagle

Bencher
It's just been announced that France won't be able to finance the next world cup. This is after they stepped in to offer to hold it there after the North American bid collapsed (also due to financial difficulties). It's a shame that just as the sport finally starts to get a few competitive nations it is running into problems financing what should be the pinnacle competition. NZ plus satellite games in the Pacific nations would be my preferred next option. It's more of a shame because I was looking forward to an extended trip to the south of France too!

That's a shame to hear. I thought with everyone having to work two more years the govt now has plenty of money.

I guess those calling to keep politics out of the game got their wish...the French govt has left the chat.

lulz

HE board of International Rugby League will convene to consider options for the 2025 World Cup after the France 2025 organising committee was forced to withdraw from hosting the tournament earlier today. 

The France 2025 board of directors felt they had no choice after the French Government demanded a guarantee for the risk of loss for the event
, considering that the conditions initially set to secure the economic viability of the event were not met, after additional time and funding provided to the committee by the French Government to that end.

“It’s difficult to express how disappointed I am with this news,” IRL Chair Troy Grant said.

“There’s no secret as to how important the strengthening of France as a rugby league nation is to our global game and central to our strategic plans.

“The Rugby League World Cup in France in 2025 was always an ambitious project given the unprecedented short lead in time due to the pandemic, however it had the advantage of following and leveraging off the widely acknowledged RLWC2021 success.

“Despite the historically short lead in period, Luc Lacoste and his LOC worked tirelessly and achieved so much in a short time.

“Luc has brought a renewed zest and interest to French Rugby League during his tenure and the World Cup was planned to be the springboard for further development of the sport in France.

“The factors that impacted on the bid team’s ability to complete the early structure of the tournament, such as the economic crisis and, in particular, inflationary pressure on host town council budgets, undermined their ability to secure adequate securities for the event to satisfy the government’s strict conditional benchmarks, put forward from the beginning of the process, for the tournament to proceed.

“The French government, particularly the Sports Minister Amélie Oudéa-Castéra, supported the bid team financially and granted additional time to meet benchmarks given the interruptions and obstacles that were put in their way that were out of their control.

“I respect the French Government’s decision amid the challenges they are facing but I can’t hide my disappointment, that I conveyed clearly to them in person.

“Despite our focus having been on France, we will now accelerate our consideration of other contingency options.”

The IRL board will now consider other options for RLWC2025 while continuing work to finalise international fixtures for the 2023 and 2024 seasons.

The IRL expects to be able to advise member nations of planned qualifying matches or alternative fixtures after July 2023.

IRL chair Troy Grant said: “The board meets face to face in July and we will then be able to determine together our next steps forward and consider the other bids we have received for not only 2025, but 2029, 2033 and World Cup 9s events in the future.

“Exciting international content for 2023 and 2024, in addition to the recent historic Tongan tour to England, will be announced publicly shortly, which will be the front end of our much needed and highly anticipated calendar.”

TBF the Rugby world cup is one of the biggest global sporting events on the calendar - so cant fault them for pumping money in to that one....

But a massive concern for the RLWC. I really hope it doesn't go to UK, AUS or NZ. Pacfic islands would be great, but not viable.

Not a lot of options really.

Maybe just cancel it????

4 countries have expressed an interest in hosting the event. These are; New Zealand, Fiji, South Africa and that hotbed of rugby league Qatar

It's just been announced that France won't be able to finance the next world cup. This is after they stepped in to offer to hold it there after the North American bid collapsed (also due to financial difficulties). It's a shame that just as the sport finally starts to get a few competitive nations it is running into problems financing what should be the pinnacle competition. NZ plus satellite games in the Pacific nations would be my preferred next option. It's more of a shame because I was looking forward to an extended trip to the south of France too!
Hey Mate, bit of expansionist enthusiast my self for code. Pretty sad that outside of Pernignan, carcsaonne and toulouse and villages around the game seems non existent.
Showed in France game v English where they where thrashed 60 to 0, while on paper catalans are successful imports still hold down the important spine positions.
I don't see game ever getting to heights of 1950s and 60s. The support not there in big cities and playing strength is quite weak. I don't believe even now catalans get a paid TV deal they have to pay themselves to get on TV.
I ask on surface it seems France seems no stronger for being on uk pro set up than previous to Catalans admission.

Hey Mate, bit of expansionist enthusiast my self for code. Pretty sad that outside of Pernignan, carcsaonne and toulouse and villages around the game seems non existent.
Showed in France game v English where they where thrashed 60 to 0, while on paper catalans are successful imports still hold down the important spine positions.
I don't see game ever getting to heights of 1950s and 60s. The support not there in big cities and playing strength is quite weak. I don't believe even now catalans get a paid TV deal they have to pay themselves to get on TV.
I ask on surface it seems France seems no stronger for being on uk pro set up than previous to Catalans admission.
Yeah, they've had over 20 years now. That's pretty much 2 generations of footballers. Their team should be the French national team and be able to supply additional players to other Super league clubs. That was the premise under which they were allowed into the competition. As you say if anything the national team has gone backwards, losing 64-0 to the England reserves is very poor. I've been to a match at Perpignan and the passion for the game there is amazing. I will have to make it a mission to nip across and take in one of the lower league games and see if there is the same passion

Yeah, they've had over 20 years now. That's pretty much 2 generations of footballers. Their team should be the French national team and be able to supply additional players to other Super league clubs. That was the premise under which they were allowed into the competition. As you say if anything the national team has gone backwards, losing 64-0 to the England reserves is very poor. I've been to a match at Perpignan and the passion for the game there is amazing. I will have to make it a mission to nip across and take in one of the lower league games and see if there is the same passion
I just wonder if they actually be better to try and run a smaller level pro league.
Bringing dragons in not improved national team at all, there closest result against big 3 is 2005 22-20 loss to kiwis, these where team that had Fakir and Gresque at his best.
There seems to be no care, there best players Garcia, Bouquest, Fages all made themselves unavailable.
England should steer clear of them until there geniune about playing there best.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6