World Cup 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I missed this game live , if a yo e watched how did the Cleary / DCE battle go ??
They played well together. I had to pick a team to win the world cup for my life I would leave Munster out and play these two in the halves. That won't happen. Mitchell got clean ball, Tedesco wasn't frustrated, tries looked set up from working to parts of the field and not like they just came off the cuff, even though it was a blow out, it was an organised blow out, and not a Harry Grant Munster love in which NZ will shut down very quickly I fear. Grant is still way too flighty for my liking.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
They played well together. I had to pick a team to win the world cup for my life I would leave Munster out and play these two in the halves. That won't happen. Mitchell got clean ball, Tedesco wasn't frustrated, tries looked set up from working to parts of the field and not like they just came off the cuff, even though it was a blow out, it was an organised blow out, and not a Harry Grant Munster love in which NZ will shut down very quickly I fear. Grant is still way too flighty for my liking.
I agree. Both played very well together. Both had chances on both sides of the field and looked very organised and smooth.

If DCE does miss out, its only because he is competing against a very good player in the same position but Daley could easily play at 6 IMO just as Thurston and Cronk shared the halves.

Nathan in the post game interview said he really enjoyed playing alongside Daley, said he was a very good organiser on the field

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I agree. Both played very well together. Both had chances on both sides of the field and looked very organised and smooth.

If DCE does miss out, its only because he is competing against a very good player in the same position but Daley could easily play at 6 IMO just as Thurston and Cronk shared the halves.

Nathan in the post game interview said he really enjoyed playing alongside Daley, said he was a very good organiser on the field
Yes, whilst neither of them 'stood out', they both played very well together. DCE's passing, kicking and try assists were all good and overall I don't think he did his chances any harm.

However, although DCE could comfortably play 6 or 7, I wouldn't be surprised if he's left out. Imo the only way Munster or Cleary will be dropped is due to injury or ill-discipline.

@Top End Eagle 's comment is an apt description of the game in general...an organised blow-out, with planned moves by various players who showed their talent throughout the game. The Kangaroos are going to be very hard to beat in the finals.

The '47ers

When Eagles are silent Parrots begin to chatter

I know Daley was good, but geez he's 53 now

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
IN a surprise to no one, fresh from a 3 game ban JWH throws in a high shot 13 mins into his return game and gets sin-binned.

Also (scared to mention dce) and I haven't seen everything published but the media seem to be putting up the angle of dce wants to keep playing (self focused) but Cleary's headlines are all about the team and not himself.

Is this just the media being the media?

EaglesDontTweet

Bencher
Premium Member
IN a surprise to no one, fresh from a 3 game ban JWH throws in a high shot 13 mins into his return game and gets sin-binned.

Also (scared to mention dce) and I haven't seen everything published but the media seem to be putting up the angle of dce wants to keep playing (self focused) but Cleary's headlines are all about the team and not himself.

Is this just the media being the media?
If DCE's post match interview was in any way a bit about himself over the team it was in context to the questions posed to him and his desire to emphasize, on at least two occasions, if this game just played was his last opportunity to represent his country he would accept and understand. I thought he was humble almost to the point of his acceptance of it being inevitable he would miss out.

Seagles68

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
If DCE's post match interview was in any way a bit about himself over the team it was in context to the questions posed to him and his desire to emphasize, on at least two occasions, if this game just played was his last opportunity to represent his country he would accept and understand. I thought he was humble almost to the point of his acceptance of it being inevitable he would miss out.
Spot on. I hardly think saying the team is his family (in the absence of his) and praising Cleary sounds like it's all about him.

Eagles4Life

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Spot on. I hardly think saying the team is his family (in the absence of his) and praising Cleary sounds like it's all about him.

His interview was more team-focused than self-focused. The game he played today was all about the team, not himself.

I didn't interpret what he said as being all about him? DCE talked about staying busy within the team environment. He might have mentioned having a beer, but I think it was more of a throwaway line than anything else.

Last edited:

AndWeDon'tCare

Reserve Grader
Meninga must be losing sleep over Cleary vs DCE selection. LOL

Watching Lam, Meninga and Hagan in the coaches box reminds me of "Weekend at Bernie's"... Lam and Hagan must be really strong men to carry Meninga around and make him look "alive".

How they are able to make him speak with their hands on the table is unbelievable.

Mal Meninga is the Criss Angel of coaching... You can see him do his "work" but you really know it's just an illusion.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
The thing I am hating about the DCE vs Cleary thing for halfback is the obvious bias towards Cleary from those who we have to use to watch the World Cup ... Fox League.

Just as an example, both were about even all game against Italy. Their kicking was very good (Cleary had an off night kicking for goal, but that happens to the best of them occasionally), the passing crisp and both defended very well. Yet all Ennis and Alexander could do was gush over how "dominant Nathan Cleary" was. Both were clearly looking at it through NSW and Penrith coloured glasses.

I get that ultimately it'll probably be Munster at 6 and Cleary at 7. Only a fool would say that Cleary who has been the form halfback of the past 3 years should be the one to miss out. But at least Mal is giving them both a fair go which is more than can be said from the Aussie media who've basically got Cherry consigned to the old sand boy duties, though I guess its kicking tee duties these days.

OK ... onto other games. 52–0 now to Tonga over the Cook Islands. Former Sea Eagle and now Cook Island coach Tony Iro doesn't look too happy going into half time. Neither Koula or Olakau'atu are in tonight's Tongan side.

For mine the Kangaroos main challenge will come from England. They are playing well, especially Victor Radley who is living his life long 6 month dream of playing for England.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Most enjoyable game of football ever :)

Sea Eagles fans don't really need to watch any other games. Watching replays of that game will forever satiate their hearts ...

The only time I will watch a game Manly loses is live. I will never watch a replay if I know we lost.

Games we've won like Grand Finals, midweek cup Finals, World Club Challenge, World Seven's or beating the Poms I'll watch over and over lol.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12