(Womens Team) Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We are one step away from a chook raffle it seems
It does seem pathetic. Hopefully we don’t wind up with a womens’ team bumping along at the bottom of the competition due to poor resourcing.

However we might not be the only club pursuing this approach.

It harkens back to c.1950* when volunteers manned the Manly ferries, seeking donations to allow the club to lure Wally O’Connell away from Easts.

*Back to the Future IV - a Scott Penn production. Or should that be Back to the Past?;)

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: lsz

Starting a thread on the womens team however this is a pretty poor start.

Are we not a professional club? Who asks for donations when setting up a team?

"the future NRLW team which will be largely funded by the Sea Eagles Foundation"

If anyone actually doubts the interest of our owners in investing in the club then this should help to inform you of where they actually sit
Why should Penn or anyone else have to fund a womens team? Why should this be correlated to how serious they are about the club? The NRL have manufactured this competition for appearances driven by in vogue western world woke agenda. Professional sporting competition originates and grows from genuine paying fansand subsequent advertising interest. It’s great that the girls are playing league but like mens netball should be a amateur sport unless it can grow in its own right. Not falsely manufactured to suffice a manufactured social ideal. If anyone thinks we should have a womens team they themselves should donate pay to go to the games buy womens team merchandise etc, if they are genuinely that passionate about it. If they are not willing to this themselves why should they expect someone else too.

Last edited:
Why should Penn or anyone else have to fund a womens team? Why should this be correlated to how serious they are about the club? The NRL have manufactured this competition for appearances driven by in vogue western world woke agenda. Professional sporting competition originates and grows from genuine paying fansand subsequent advertising interest. It’s great that the girls are playing league but like mens netball should be a amateur sport unless it can grow in its own right. Not falsely manufactured to suffice a manufactured social ideal. If anyone thinks we should have a womens team they themselves should donate pay to go to the games buy womens team merchandise etc, if they are genuinely that passionate about it. If they are not willing to this themselves why should they expect someone else too.
You lost me at work agenda

Of course one person’s woke agenda is another person’s income stream via increased sponsorship, female interest and participation, a share in tv rights etc.

Not to mention that greater usage of Stadium Brookvalia aids the narrative that more money should be spent on upgrades and general maintenance.

An A F L women 's comp getting some traction now so N R L bound to follow suit and must be putting in some or the majority of financing one would expect . Then if a higher national profile develops , sponsorship input for both codes , no doubt already occurring for the A F L . No idea of current Womens"s league funding models , would certainly expect the clubs to be contributing something , If Penn or the Penns are serious wanting to promote the concept and actual Manly participation , should be coughing up some money , Can "t have it both ways if they are genuine with their public sentiments on wanting a Manly ladies side and again being able to participate in a viable and competitive way

Women's sport is now a 'woke agenda' @Red Pill ?

Dead set, that's gotta be up there with one of your dumbest.
No it just how you have chosen to perceive I am knocking womens sport. You have chosen, to elevate yourself in your own mind. I just think professional sport should be commercially viable in its own right. It has nothing to do with sex or identity whatsoever. I guess you will choose to see I am sexist etc I personally don’t care…

You lost me at work agenda
Fair enough I was not expecting to persuade you in any way given your read on this. Just sharing a contrary view.
An A F L women 's comp getting some traction now so N R L bound to follow suit and must be putting in some or the majority of financing one would expect . Then if a higher national profile develops , sponsorship input for both codes , no doubt already occurring for the A F L . No idea of current Womens"s league funding models , would certainly expect the clubs to be contributing something , If Penn or the Penns are serious wanting to promote the concept and actual Manly participation , should be coughing up some money , Can "t have it both ways if they are genuine with their public sentiments on wanting a Manly ladies side and again being able to participate in a viable and competitive way
companies like Qatar airways sponsor womens sport pretty sure they sponsor one of the AFL teams.
Qatar as a country is not so well we’ll known for their promotion of womens rights. Seems interesting that they are in western countries sponsoring womens sport and help fund these ventures. Appears to be a false economy..

Fair enough I was not expecting to persuade you in any way given your read on this. Just sharing a contrary view.

companies like Qatar airways sponsor womens sport pretty sure they sponsor one of the AFL teams.
Qatar is not so well we’ll known for their promotion of womens rights. Seems interesting that they are in western countries sponsoring womens sport and help fund these ventures. Appears to be a false economy..
Pherhaps I should add some more context here.

As I have said over and over the Penn family (in my humble opinion) is interested in running a bare bones organisation with little view to expand or further grow the business in any way that requires additional investment / risk.

Why a womens brand? Lets remove the “woke” aspect and talk about the $ a a very high level

1. Increase the brand presence in additional markets
    1. Benefits such as increased memberships, sponsors etc
  2. Increase brand exposure
    1. We are out of the finals…and could still nave the team represented
  3. Additional television revene

Yes all of this requires some work and additional investment far above a chook raffle / doubles approach we are taking.

No it just how you have chosen to perceive I am knocking womens sport. You have chosen, to elevate yourself in your own mind. I just think professional sport should be commercially viable in its own right. It has nothing to do with sex or identity whatsoever. I guess you will choose to see I am sexist etc I personally don’t care…

I didn't chose to elevate myself at all. You made the grand claim that women's sport is somehow driven by some 'woke' agenda. Your exact words:

'The NRL have manufactured this competition for appearances driven by in vogue western world woke agenda'

Should you remove this statement, then your point would stand. Women's sport should definitely be commercially viable in its own right. But suggesting that the whole NRLW was created just to drive some agenda is a ridiculous statement.

Sport is about representation. Young girls seeing women playing footy is great. The same way a young aboriginal kid watching Latrell or a disabled kid watching Dylan Alcott is great.

Not everything you don't like is driven by some left wing agenda. Some people just wanna watch women play footy.

Pherhaps I should add some more context here.

As I have said over and over the Penn family (in my humble opinion) is interested in running a bare bones organisation with little view to expand or further grow the business in any way that requires additional investment / risk.

Why a womens brand? Lets remove the “woke” aspect and talk about the $ a a very high level

1. Increase the brand presence in additional markets
    1. Benefits such as increased memberships, sponsors etc
  2. Increase brand exposure
    1. We are out of the finals…and could still nave the team represented
  3. Additional television revene

Yes all of this requires some work and additional investment far above a chook raffle / doubles approach we are taking.
Thanks for sharing some more context. I still see this differently. I don’t think there is enough genuine interest in a professional commercially sustainable woman's game. The interest needs to come from the public. If the public gets fully behind it without it being artificially propped up I think it would be a great thing. Again I don’t think this example is a measure of Penns commitment or lack of commitment to the club. Your points about Penn running a bare bones ship may well be very true but personally in my view I would not be using this as a gauge. I know some will see this as sexist but I actually think women would likely adopt AFL as sport to play as opposed to league as it is less taxing on the body ( impact wise) and can be further modified to suit a different physiology as opposed to league.

I didn't chose to elevate myself at all. You made the grand claim that women's sport is somehow driven by some 'woke' agenda. Your exact words:

'The NRL have manufactured this competition for appearances driven by in vogue western world woke agenda'

Should you remove this statement, then your point would stand. Women's sport should definitely be commercially viable in its own right. But suggesting that the whole NRLW was created just to drive some agenda is a ridiculous statement.

Sport is about representation. Young girls seeing women playing footy is great. The same way a young aboriginal kid watching Latrell or a disabled kid watching Dylan Alcott is great.

Not everything you don't like is driven by some left wing agenda. Some people just wanna watch women play footy.
If this was the case the NRL would done this many many years ago. This in my opinion is driven by the same corporate interpretation of inclusiveness as the interpretation used by the club in relation to the pride jersey. It’s woke! My point in relation to wokeness is how the corporate world is interpreting what you call left wing politics. It is not always genuine.

Last edited:
I don’t think there is enough genuine interest in a professional commercially sustainable woman's game. The interest needs to come from the public. If the public gets fully behind it without it being artificially propped up
You're going great!
But I wish those such as your good self who love to toss around terms such as 'woke' would just explain in your own words what point you are trying to make. I looked it up and found the meaning is "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination."

So this is your take on Foxsports and indeed the entire Lachlan and Rupert Show? They are alert to racial prejudice and discrimination? You don't believe that! No-one could!

The evidence is to the contrary, they are alert to a dollar. And they get a lot of content for their pay TV channels by broadcasting womens sports.

I'm unsure why the NRL won't subsidise the cost? They also need to make an investment here. Why is it all on Scott Penn? This amount is a droplet in the bucket. Okay, Penn should help out where possible. This is only a fraction of the monthly salary grant provided to each club for the men's teams.

You're going great!
But I wish those such as your good self who love to toss around terms such as 'woke' would just explain in your own words what point you are trying to make. I looked it up and found the meaning is "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination."

So this is your take on Foxsports and indeed the entire Lachlan and Rupert Show? They are alert to racial prejudice and discrimination? You don't believe that! No-one could!

The evidence is to the contrary, they are alert to a dollar. And they get a lot of content for their pay TV channels by broadcasting womens sports.
A blast from the past. Kind of like Dickie knee from the old hey hey it’s Saturday.

I don’t need to give you any explanations I have been down that path before and it’s a bloody dead end.. nice try btw…

If their is genuine profit and genuine public interest in woman’s league I am a big fan of it as professional sport as opposed to amateur sport. I actually watched some of the womens league on nine over the weekend. I did not mind it but suspect it will not do very well in the ratings thus my point… please come back to me with the TV ratings to proof I am wrong. I truly look forward to hearing from you then.. until then…take care hopefully we will win a few comps between now and when I hear from you next….

Last edited:
I'm unsure why the NRL won't subsidise the cost? They also need to make an investment here. Why is it all on Scott Penn? This amount is a droplet in the bucket. Okay, Penn should help out where possible. This is only a fraction of the monthly salary grant provided to each club for the men's teams.

I am starting to get the impression that the funding requested is NOT to aide a NRLW Team .... but to be used to fund and set up the local northern beaches junior women's comps ... and Tasha gale which is a junior rep comp ..

This would answer my question about why donations are Tax deductible ... because Surely NO donation to a Professional Sport would be ??

Nothing wrong with asking supporters for donations.

Especially the retired silvertail boomers with cash to splash.

We all love the club and want the best for it.

A blast from the past. Kind of like Dickie knee from the old hey hey it’s Saturday.

I don’t need to give you any explanations I have been down that path before and it’s a bloody dead end.. nice try btw…

If their is genuine profit and genuine public interest in woman’s league I am a big fan of it as professional sport as opposed to amateur sport. I actually watched some of the womens league on nine over the weekend. I did not mind it but suspect it will not do very well in the ratings thus my point… please come back to me with the TV ratings to proof I am wrong. I truly look forward to hearing from you then.. until then…take care hopefully we will win a few comps between now and when I hear from you next….
You called?

Attachments

• 1664244138341.png
    1664244138341.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 5
I am starting to get the impression that the funding requested is NOT to aide a NRLW Team .... but to be used to fund and set up the local northern beaches junior women's comps ... and Tasha gale which is a junior rep comp ..

This would answer my question about why donations are Tax deductible ... because Surely NO donation to a Professional Sport would be ??

Could be a directive from the minister of health or something mate to encourage sports (health and wellbeing) - not sure, but I thought the same thing. I'll be donating because:

1. I support our local girls (northern beaches ladies are the top of the pops);
2. I think the diversity and growth in this area is magnificent;
3. The NRL should do anything they can (in all areas) to make this happen.

I can't wait to watch them :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4