With such a high powered team of assistant coaches Barrett has no excuse for failure

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Suchislife

Reserve Grader
Barrett has enlisted David Furner, Mick Potter, Craig Sandercock, David Tangata-Toa, and All Blacks former Coach Steve Hansen. So he has all bases covered. Throw in a club that is licensed to print money with one of the most sophisticated coaching facilities that Des equipped with the latest technology/toys and you have the formula for success. The real question is what real coaching role will Barrett really be doing? Perhaps he will be responsible for carrying their clip boards, and the team building sessions at his ew favorite watering hole with the selected few player's he likes? One thing is for certain if he fails this time he can not blame lack of chairs, equipment, facilities etc.

Barrett has enlisted David Furner, Mick Potter, Craig Sandercock, David Tangata-Toa, and All Blacks former Coach Steve Hansen. So he has all bases covered. Throw in a club that is licensed to print money with one of the most sophisticated coaching facilities that Des equipped with the latest technology/toys and you have the formula for success. The real question is what real coaching role will Barrett really be doing? Perhaps he will be responsible for carrying their clip boards, and the team building sessions at his ew favorite watering hole with the selected few player's he likes? One thing is for certain if he fails this time he can not blame lack of chairs, equipment, facilities etc.
Yes but will he have to clean the gym??

What coaching role will Barrett be doing you ask ?
The rookie coach will oversee and over rule
The dogs will be ruled and ruined by a failed unproven inexperienced quitting rookie

Now if Trent did not quit and walk away from Manly and showed some intestinal fortitude , resilience , ability , and self belief and stayed and defied adversity he would have earned all our respect and become a Manly hero .
Instead he showed his true colours as our true colours always come out in times of adversity .

Albert Einstein was quoted as saying " Adversity introduces a man to him self "

Tent needs no introduction to the head coach ranks .

At the risk of being accused of being pro-Barrett let me point out his coaching record for Manly Vs DESpicable's since his return to the club.
Barrett: 72 matches for a 40% win record. Highest finish 6th. Lowest 15th
DESpicable: 45 matches for a 44% win record. Highest finish 6th. Lowest 13th
So there isn't that much difference. DESpicable's record is slightly better but, let's face it, both are less than what we fans expect.
I thought when DESpicable returned we'd perform much better, and there were times when I was super impressed with their grit; they looked to be back to the Manly of old. But the last 10 matches of 2020 were as dispiriting as anything a Barrett-coached Manly team displayed.

One of the main jobs of a head coach ... and a major indication of the respect with which he is held ... is the quality of people that he is able to attract to the club ...

So far .. both in players and coaching staff ... Baz has shown he is one very clever boy ...

At the risk of being accused of being pro-Barrett let me point out his coaching record for Manly Vs DESpicable's since his return to the club.
So there isn't that much difference. DESpicable's record is slightly better but, let's face it, both are less than what we fans expect.
I thought when DESpicable returned we'd perform much better, and there were times when I was super impressed with their grit; they looked to be back to the Manly of old. But the last 10 matches of 2020 were as dispiriting as anything a Barrett-coached Manly team displayed.

Agreed, re fan and club expectations and the similar results of the two.

Difference being, Des has runs on the board, which buys some level of patience from fans and owners.

And the biggest difference, Des owns the poor results, does not make excuses like TB, at least not publically, and presumably is right now knuckling down to fix our problems.....where the other guy cut and run.

If pretty boy had as many injuries in a civid19 environment year like Des had we would be lower than wooden spoon. So mate your states are slanted for a period when our results should have been a lot better considering the quality of the team.

One of the main jobs of a head coach ... and a major indication of the respect with which he is held ... is the quality of people that he is able to attract to the club ...

So far .. both in players and coaching staff ... Baz has shown he is one very clever boy ...
Whilst I agree to be fair $$$$$ speaks all languages!!

If pretty boy had as many injuries in a civid19 environment year like Des had we would be lower than wooden spoon. So mate your states are slanted for a period when our results should have been a lot better considering the quality of the team.
These are not "my" stats. They are not slanted in any way. They detail the three years under Barrett and the two years under Hasler when he returned to Manly.
I loved Hasler as a player and his initial period as a coach of Manly, but the way he left the club was poor form imo. He has a lot of 'Brownie points' built up but his selections last season and the way the team gave up in the last 10 matches has me wondering if he still has what it takes to be a successful coach.
If the poor results were solely the fault of too many injuries -- and not his coaching/selections -- then he gets the benefit of the doubt and it means that we should have a better year in 2021.

I reckon its got to do more with the open cheque book the dogs currently have tbh!!
Whilst I agree to be fair $$$$$ speaks all languages!!

You are both possibly be correct ... but I will add to the narrative, that he only has the same salary cap and football club caps as everybody else and there has been no mention that they have paid "overs" ... on the asst. coaching staff side there are multiple clubs, including Manly in the market, .. and to sign people of the calibre and gravitas that he has shows that whatever money is being spent .. is being spent very wisely ... On the players side of things, once again there are multiple clubs including Manly with some cash and spots to fill .. again have not heard reports of big dollars or overs paid for Cotric, Flannigan or Hethrington ... so again appears to be controlled and well done ..

And if his chq book is a bit bigger .. it still gets down to how it is spent ...

You are both possibly be correct ... but I will add to the narrative, that he only has the same salary cap and football club caps as everybody else and there has been no mention that they have paid "overs" ... on the asst. coaching staff side there are multiple clubs, including Manly in the market, .. and to sign people of the calibre and gravitas that he has shows that whatever money is being spent .. is being spent very wisely ... On the players side of things, once again there are multiple clubs including Manly with some cash and spots to fill .. again have not heard reports of big dollars or overs paid for Cotric, Flannigan or Hethrington ... so again appears to be controlled and well done ..

And if his chq book is a bit bigger .. it still gets down to how it is spent ...
Certainly the same $$$$ for the player roster but I’m not sure how the coaching department works these days and that’s actually where my comments were aimed.

Steve Hanson wouldn’t come cheap ( he could get a job anywhere in Rugby circles on huge $$$$).

Certainly the same $$$$ for the player roster but I’m not sure how the coaching department works these days and that’s actually where my comments were aimed.

Steve Hanson wouldn’t come cheap ( he could get a job anywhere in Rugby circles on huge $$$$).

I believe the cap is around 5 mill for the football dept .... but in typical NRL fashion they have built in a rort for the rich clubs ... Brisbane are the masters here .. you can spend over the cap as much as you like, and you are simply "taxed" 50c in the dollars for every dollar you are over ...

I am not sure that with the year the Licensed clubs have had that Bulldogs still qualify as a rich club ??

I don't disagree with you that there is obviously some other attractions for players to head to bulldogs (if players didn't rate baz at all they prob wouldn't sign). However only speculation but i thought they signed cotric on 500k+ & flanagan close to $1 mil per season (if true) surely there's a few overs in there for maybe some (not all) of the new recruits?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4