With owners like these .......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Souths are the NRL Epic Fail

Crowe is the owner, yet he is telling them that the business needs to be better.....ah hello....owner.....that's your job, or at least hire the people to do it.

Why is it that they have so many more members than we do?

Surely Manly supporters are more affuent and can afford to become members?  I wonder what they do more do sign new members that we don't do? 

Not sure how many members the leagues club has but I think that it used to be around 30,000.  Why can't we get half of these to become football club membsrs?  Give them a $50 voucher to spend at the leagues club if they become members of the football club? 

At Manly members refers to season ticket holders, maybe Souths give their tickets away cheaply???

Souths have that residual old style proletariat membership.  It's the old working class, hob-nailed boot type that makes up the core of their supporters.  They used to go to the club to buy cheap booze and play the pokies.  No club anymore, and Russell and his mate are anti-pokie.  An Eastern suburbs effete running the joint.  Their current membership is due to the days of the nostalgia and hype of the Crowe/HaC takeover.  Now that's all gone, 5000 and falling.  Just to get things in perspective Parra have about 600 odd in their football club.  There's no doubt we have to do better in the recruitment department and I think that's happening.    A drinks voucher or two thrown in on match days would be good, Tooks idea of a voucher at the leagues club is another.  All good, and to use Crowe's words back on him we are the club in progress, I think he meant regress when it comes to Souths.           

tookey link said:
Why is it that they have so many more members than we do?

Surely Manly supporters are more affuent and can afford to become members?  I wonder what they do more do sign new members that we don't do? 

The Bunnies home page this morning quotes that they have 5855 members - we packed around 2,500 member packs on the weekend.

A family GA at Brookie is $599, theirs are $490 for the corner seats or $690 for seats on the half way line.

The reason they have more members is quite simple - Their fans put their hands in their pockets to support their team financially many of ours don't.

I have no problems with what Russell is saying - we are in the same boat - If it wasn't for Max and the Penn family we would have been long gone.

The premiership will assist put some coin in the coffers with proze money, merchandise sales, a few new sponsors and the like but ultimately people becoming members (both ticketed and non-ticketed) is essential to ensure that the clubs survive.

As someone said it's not rocket science - but whilst we have people bemoaning the fact that we can't attract/keep players, moaning about the ground facilities and getting on their high horse about proposed/potential moves to Gosford but in the same breath say they don't see the value in being a member then we will have to be reliant on benefactors and the associated risks that this entails.

(And don't even get me started about the numbers who moaned and still moan about the merger with North's that we had to have to remain in the comp because we were broke!)

By the way - Parra's 600 Football club membership is similar to ours ie the Football Club and the season  ticket members (Screaming Eagles) are 2 totally seperate entities

not just a question of value anymore Vidmar, more a question of affordability. I am not a member, and highly doubt I will be rushing to be one within the next couple of years at least.

I already have to put a case forward to the Mrs if I want to buy a case of beer, imaging trying to get something non-tangible through her

Crowe is finally realising that souths are losers and should have gone the same way as norths. 

I see Russ has the ponytail back and lots of attitude. Nice for all the Soufs fans to cop an anti-Santa message just in time for Chrissie. :)

ManlyBacker link said:
I see Russ has the ponytail back and lots of attitude. Nice for all the Soufs fans to cop an anti-Santa message just in time for Chrissie. :)

Crowe is just trying to get his hands on some of Rudd's handout that souths supporters would have received last week. 

Dan link said:
I already have to put a case forward to the Mrs if I want to buy a case of beer, imaging trying to get something non-tangible through her

I can see who wears the pants in your family Dan

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178982.msg204335#msg204335 date=1229382874]

[/quote]

Perhaps, We are just on a mission to pay off a few debts by mid next year. We have basically poured the remaining of our savings into the car loan and her credit cards, getting rid of the high interest ones ASAP to give us some breathing space. Once we have all that done, we will be in a better position to almost double our Monthly house repayments, we are hoping to move to a lower fixed rate loan about mid next year also rather than a variable one, basically strike whilst rates are low, again meaning we can effectively just wipe out as much as we can. We are basically putting about 80% of our earnings across each of the loans and living on as little as we possibly can. Which makes beer a luxury and I am trying to keep myself to 1 case a month.

Make sense now?

Dan link said:
[quote author=The Wheel link=topic=178982.msg204341#msg204341 date=1229384998]
[quote author=Dan link=topic=178982.msg204335#msg204335 date=1229382874]

[/quote]

Perhaps, We are just on a mission to pay off a few debts by mid next year. We have basically poured the remaining of our savings into the car loan and her credit cards, getting rid of the high interest ones ASAP to give us some breathing space. Once we have all that done, we will be in a better position to almost double our Monthly house repayments, we are hoping to move to a lower fixed rate loan about mid next year also rather than a variable one, basically strike whilst rates are low, again meaning we can effectively just wipe out as much as we can. We are basically putting about 80% of our earnings across each of the loans and living on as little as we possibly can. Which makes beer a luxury and I am trying to keep myself to 1 case a month.

Make sense now?
[/quote]

Sure, sure!!! "insert whip noise"  :D

Dan has a point and it sounds like he has very clear plans for the future which no one can fault him for.

Realistically there are many who are doing it tough and this time of the year is always a time when home finance is a massive agenda item.

Certainly there are often bigger priorities than a football club and it would be churlish to suggest otherwise and each person makes their own decision on how they spend their own hard earned.
My beef is with the people who are happy to lob a lazy $20 in the pokies or $200-$300 over the bar of a weekend but then cry poor when the club looks for them to put their hand in their pocket to help keep us in business and have a decent team on the paddock.

Some of these people even wear the fact that they are not members as some form of “rebel” badge of honour (!!) - even arguing the toss on the value of membership (and then are quite happy to proclaim their loyalty, select the team, criticise players and management, spend money on pay TV to watch the games (yes I know many of you live miles away from Brooky but I know a number of locals who just can't be arsed on going to a game unless it's a big final and then whinge about being lifelong supporters and the fact that they should get best seats in the house or be allowed VIP access to the GF celebrations at the Leagues Club....)

These types of threads come up on a regular basis and I’m acutely aware that I bang on about membership but as anyone who knows our history will admit we came so very close to losing our club, ground and history I and others will continue to beat this particular drum to help do what we can to avoid any possibility of it happening again – Maybe the South’s Supporters who have joined up have a similar sentiment?

So many people jumped on the bandwagon when we were in the finals and I understand over 7,000 premiers T shirts were sold but still we have under 3,000 Screaming Eagles members at present……

In support of some of the things that Vidmar has said I must agree with a lot of what he has stated.

Not having a go at Dan at all, he has valid reasons for not being a member, and for many it will come down to dollars BUT...how many of them still go to the Pub, still smoke, still have a wager on the gee gees and still find some coin for the Pokies...and then whinge about all the things that Vid has stated,  and then say but oh no " we can't afford or find value in a season membership".

I have absolultly NO drama at all with people not being members, if you take the approx 40,000 people wearing Sea Eagles colours on Grand Final day at ANZ as a guide we are mearly scrapping the surface, but what peeves me off is it's those very people who are usually the most critical and vocal about how things are run or what should happen.

Many may say it's "freedom of choice"...and also if you want to have a say it's "freedom of speech" and to be totally honest that is 110% correct, in our society you are free to choose and free to say whatever you like but it's the "moral issue" of taking that stance that I am talking about.

I for one am proud to be a Football Club member and also a Season Ticket holder...albeit the cheapest type giving me 2 GA admissions a year, BUT nevertheless I am doing "my bit" for my team.

The pleasure I got out of seeing the boys win the GF this year was insurmountable (value wise), if my few dollars help them achieve that again in 2009 then it will be money well spent.

With sponsorship dollars going to be VERY hard to get in 2009 our club is going to need every member and every dollar it can and we as supporters need to encourage other supporters to join (if they can afford it).

If you can't afford it for any reason (such as Dan) then you can't, but at the end of the day if I smoke one less packet of ciggies a week, or put $10 a week less through the pokies, or go home 2 scooners earlier than I had planned any one of those savings would more than pay for membership.

My wife is Victorian and is a member of the Collingwood Football Club, member number 45687...that speaks volumes on it's own, 4000 members for Manly is 42687 less than Collingwood...and for gods sake that's bloody AFL!!!

There are four of us at this place who take on season ticket holdership; 10 GA passes plus cap.  I get my daughter to renew us all on the web in January each year after the Xmas spendathon has passed.  We all figure thats the best time for us.  Are we all members of the footie club or what?  Probably not now that I've seen Mark from Brisbane's blog.  I always thought I was and that was included with the cap etc.  I'll have to take more interest in what comes through the mail obviously

Just received my season ticket and membership goodies today. 

Included were a couple of pens, a great calender with an excellent centrefold picture of the team after winning the grand final and a cap which is a good one this year as well as a page of Manly sitckers which I will put on NSO on saturday. 

Lots of offers as well from sponsors. 

tookey link said:
Just received my season ticket and membership goodies today. 

You will be happy to know I actually packed yours Tookey

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4