Willie Mason

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apart from their contrasting personalities, signing Mason could end up being like when Bozo signed David Gillespie.

Cement was in the last years of his career. He'd been out of Origin and Test selection for about a while and was in the veteran class. But he got a new lease of life here and (although helped by the SL war) his rep career took off again.

Not saying Mason coming here would give him a second shot at tests and Origin because the game has changed and everyone not injured or suspended is available. But like Cement, he could be a good influence on the young blokes in the side. We've lost Kingdog, we've also lost Gifty, and we're likely to lose Choc - they've played over 700 games between them. Experience like that doesn't grow on trees. JamieB is good, T-Red is getting better and so are Lui, JSL and Star. But we need an experienced prop because after Matty Ballin, our pack is suddenly very light on for experience. BJ turns 30 in December, but we sometimes forget that because he has only been around for a couple of years. He hasn't even played 80 first grade games yet.

Willie Mason does seem to have mellowed somewhat in the past few years. Maybe at some point he realised (or someone told him to) that publicly at least it was about time he grew up.

He probably wouldn't be my first choice.....but better him than Ben Hannant.

HoldenV8 said:
Apart from their contrasting personalities, signing Mason could end up being like when Bozo signed David Gillespie.

Cement was in the last years of his career. He'd been out of Origin and Test selection for about a while and was in the veteran class. But he got a new lease of life here and (although helped by the SL war) his rep career took off again.

Not saying Mason coming here would give him a second shot at tests and Origin because the game has changed and everyone not injured or suspended is available. But like Cement, he could be a good influence on the young blokes in the side. We've lost Kingdog, we've also lost Gifty, and we're likely to lose Choc - they've played over 700 games between them. Experience like that doesn't grow on trees. JamieB is good, T-Red is getting better and so are Lui, JSL and Star. But we need an experienced prop because after Matty Ballin, our pack is suddenly very light on for experience. BJ turns 30 in December, but we sometimes forget that because he has only been around for a couple of years. He hasn't even played 80 first grade games yet.

Willie Mason does seem to have mellowed somewhat in the past few years. Maybe at some point he realised (or someone told him to) that publicly at least it was about time he grew up.

He probably wouldn't be my first choice.....but better him than Ben Hannant.

I really don't rate Mason, and I really don't want him at Manly, but the above post is easily the most attractive his potential signature has sounded to me so far.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Snake said:
Mason for Watmough; my god, things really are getting dark out Manly way.

It would be Mason for King, and probably an upgrade

Exactly. Maybe pick up another cheapie back rower and use the rest on up grades.

I wouldn't be against it for a year signing.

Would definitely lighten the mood off the field. He has a job for 20 odd minutes a game to run straight and hard, his experience would also tell him when we need a big hit up or lift during a game.

Wouldn't be the worst signing, players always go to another level when coming here with our standards.

But could he provide more than what some of our youngsters can is the thing for me, if we have some young blokes Jake T or Sao the new signing in Baker etc if they could do Masons job just as well ,then I would say save the $$ and use whats with in.

If it happens OK if its doesnt OK, fine either way

Haz88 said:

Would definitely lighten the mood off the field. He has a job for 20 odd minutes a game to run straight and hard, his experience would also tell him when we need a big hit up or lift during a game.

Wouldn't be the worst signing, players always go to another level when coming here with our standards.

But could he provide more than what some of our youngsters can is the thing for me, if we have some young blokes Jake T or Sao the new signing in Baker etc if they could do Masons job just as well ,then I would say save the $$ and use whats with in.

I think the point of the signing is not to take a front row position off the young guys it's more about the effect he could have on them. We need some young bullys. Not timid hard as cats soft cocks.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
You really can't deny that Willie isn't a passionate footy player

That's why I like this signing. I watched a few of the knights games last year, and one thing you get from Mason is that he gives it 110% and gives lots of encouragement to his team mates. Has matured a lot since his old days, especially under Wayne bennet.

Runs hard and straight and provides an off load. I'm sure he would be delighted to be playing his last year in a competitive side such as Manly, trying to make the semi's again and another GF? (similar to Blair this year). Good replacement for Kingy

Stevo said:
Haz88 said:

I think the point of the signing is not to take a front row position off the young guys it's more about the effect he could have on them. We need some young bullys. Not timid hard as cats soft cocks.

For me, while I think Lawrence is a good player, at this stage of his career I don't think he needs to be a leader of the pack and I can't see us winning a comp next year if he is our front row leader

Stevo said:
Haz88 said:

True,If he can guide them and provide some mongrel in the pack that we need, then it would be a good idea

People on here have been crying out for us to sign a prop and Mason is exactly what we need - size, experience and a competitor! Hopefully guys like Jake T and Ligi Sao are pushing for NRL positions next year, but having somebody with Mason's experience around can only help their development. Go back and watch all the Knights games this year - he had a job to do and he did it well. He's definitely not the type of player he used to be but if Tooves sets him a job to do, guaranteed he'll get it done!

I thought the knights were stupid to sign him when they did.

After watching him play for them, I thought he was a great signing.

First time poster.. long time lurker here.

Can anyone confirm if Fa'aoso will be in the squad next year given his all clear to play? That would be quite a pack with Mason and him coming back.

clipser said:
First time poster.. long time lurker here.

Can anyone confirm if Fa'aoso will be in the squad next year given his all clear to play? That would be quite a pack with Mason and him coming back.

I'd heard he signed with the broncos but today's paper is saying he may go to the Roosters.

long time lurkers make me feel.....so violated!

*closes blinds*

I joined the first day I discovered this zoo!

Not a particular fan of Mason, however if he was bargain basement cost maybe.

Probably only good for 20 minutes a game, but if coming from the bench and he plays the last 10 and the first 10 of the second half then maybe he'd fit it.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Not a particular fan of Mason, however if he was bargain basement cost maybe.

Probably only good for 20 minutes a game, but if coming from the bench and he plays the last 10 and the first 10 of the second half then maybe he'd fit it.

I don't understand all the negativity around Mason. He averaged about 40 mins for the Knights and ran straight and hard all year.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6