Will DCE go to the Dolphins?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Will DCE be at the Dolphins at the start of '23?

• Total voters
Certainly going to be interesting after Nov the i st with the Dolphins in the player market now . Fortunately Manly "s group of capable youngsters [ apart from Koula ] are signed for a few more seasons yet . May not definitely get the or a couple of marquee players from the start but sure to be scouring locally and far and wide for suitable recruits . Still seemed to have a reasonably good comp with the 20 sides just prior to the S L war , the Crushers , Perth Reds and even Adelaide Rams were no push overs for a good part of their inclusion . Nth Sydney Bears were thereabouts but West tigers and Balmain seemed to struggle a bit . Think that the Bears will forever lose their opportunity with not being able to link up with the Central Coast but the Central coast still a major source for good and aspiring footy players and including for Manly but the Black Town connection has show to offer a lot of merit regardless

I’m now waning from my original view and think his age would be a deciding factor against this move.

Munster & Ponga will be the main targets and big Tino from the Tits.

The first two are morals , the latter harder to get as he’s already in QLD.

In 'Northern Beaches Review' this week Adam Lucius writes:

"Dolphins Nosing DCE
The Dolphins' inclusion in the NRL premiership from 2023 immediately sparked speculation Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans would be on their radar.
And it's not hard to see why the dots are being joined. DCE hails from the Dolphins' base at Redcliffe in Brisbane, he enjoys a great relationship with the club's new coach Wayne Bennett and he would be the perfect fit to captain the start-up franchise.
Cherry-Evans is contracted until the end of 2023 but that won't stop the Dolphins from pushing for an early release. So would he actually leave the Sea Eagles?
The smart money says no. The 32-year-old has long said he wants to see out his current deal with a view to extending beyond 2023, and his young family is more than happy with life on the northern beaches. It would take an offer of a lifetime - even better than the one he's on now - to prise him away, but the cashed-up Dolphins will certainly take a crack."

I guess he had to write something about DCE and his connection with Redcliffe but it really doesn't have much substance.

Last edited:
DCE was on 7 News last night putting in a typical ‘scoping and framing’ effort - “Oh look, I would love to play under Wayne again and of course I first played for Greencliffe, but I want to finish at Manly…blah, blah,” or words to the at effect.

No great surprise, it’s how this footballing mercenary and his manager roll, two whole seasons before his current deal expires.

"Dolphins Nosing DCE
The Dolphins' inclusion in the NRL premiership from 2023 immediately sparked speculation Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans would be on their radar.
And it's not hard to see why the dots are being joined. DCE hails from the Dolphins' base at Redcliffe in Brisbane, he enjoys a great relationship with the club's new coach Wayne Bennett and he would be the perfect fit to captain the start-up franchise.
Cherry-Evans is contracted until the end of 2023 but that won't stop the Dolphins from pushing for an early release. So would he actually leave the Sea Eagles?
The smart money says no. The 32-year-old has long said he wants to see out his current deal with a view to extending beyond 2023, and his young family is more than happy with life on the northern beaches. It would take an offer of a lifetime - even better than the one he's on now - to prise him away, but the cashed-up Dolphins will certainly take a crack."

I guess he had to write something about DCE and his connection with Redcliffe but really doesn't have much substance.
“Offer of a lifetime” is not what the Dolphins will want to do.It’ll leave them in the same position Manly are with DCE’s contract and having to make do with bits and pieces players in certain positions.And to be fair,DCE at 34 in 2023,is not the type of player that puts bums on seats and is hardly the most popular player in QLD

"Dolphins Nosing DCE

I guess he had to write something about DCE and his connection with Redcliffe but really doesn't have much substance.
It's abundantly clear from reading this article that the thought of DCE having sex with a dolphin is a real turn on for Adam Lucius.

Harsh to call him a mercenary? Signed by Manly as an 18 year-old, after 11 NRL seasons he's still a one-club player who says he never wants to leave!
Have you got some examples of players you say are not mercenaries?
He is ‘mercenary’ in the sense that he is already (and not for the first time in the last 12 months) talking about his playing future beyond his current contract. He struck the jackpot back in 2015. He should be content with that.

Most players would prefer to keep it behind closed doors, but this has been his modus operandi dating back to c.2012. It’s no wonder he has had a habit of putting teammates offside at different stages of his career.

He also likes to stick his nose into higher level decision making. Remember when he was pushing to retain Barrett, or in his stead Cartwright? He wasn’t the only one, but the others like Jurboturbo can probably be forgiven due to their relative lack of experience back then.

It will be a relief whenever he goes.

Most players would prefer to keep it behind closed doors,
Maybe so. Although I expect he is asked about his playing future more than most, maybe that's why he mentions it.
As for being a relief when he goes, maybe, maybe not. I still recall the painful years before we lured Orford back from the Storm.
If we do end up with another half as good as DCE I wonder what he will cost!

Certainly would not be critical of D C E in that whole pre and actual so called back flip period .Was again prepared to stay on about 750 k for 2 - 3 years initially , then the Foz controversy , then the offer being withdrawn , Then the Titans offer which he was more then entitled to consider and accept then Manly 's final pitch to retain him . Matter of conjecture whether he has provided overall good value for his existing contract and i have been more then doubtfull on a few occasions but generally has given a fairly good account of himself as well as durability . Sure that he will still try to be a complete professional and good competitor for his remaining Manly contract , as for what may occur after that , anything is possible but sure that he will wish to play on somewhere and including Manly if he is still in demand there and a realistic contract . .

Certainly would not be critical of D C E in that whole pre and actual so called back flip period .Was again prepared to stay on about 750 k for 2 - 3 years initially , then the Foz controversy , then the offer being withdrawn , Then the Titans offer which he was more then entitled to consider and accept then Manly 's final pitch to retain him . Matter of conjecture whether he has provided overall good value for his existing contract and i have been more then doubtfull on a few occasions but generally has given a fairly good account of himself as well as durability . Sure that he will still try to be a complete professional and good competitor for his remaining Manly contract , as for what may occur after that , anything is possible but sure that he will wish to play on somewhere and including Manly if he is still in demand there and a realistic contract . .
Depend on what you determine as value for money @manly al.
He averages around 24 games a year for Manly, plays SOO, for Australia ( granted that would be in doubt due to Cleary but he's still next best ) and is in the top echelon of halfbacks in the world.
Yeah, he's not everyone's cup of tea but no one is.

Last edited:

Hands off: Manly shoot down hopes of Dolphins attempting to lure DCE home​

By Christian Nicolussi

October 23, 2021 — 1.41pm

Manly owner Scott Penn has moved to end any hopes The Dolphins might have of luring Queensland State of Origin skipper Daly Cherry-Evans back to his home town.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett spoke this week about “culture” needing to be the priority and Cherry-Evans would be the perfect candidate to help drive the supercoach’s standards.

Cherry-Evans played with Redcliffe as a kid, as did his father Troy, and loved his time playing under Bennett during the successful Origin series last year.

Apart from being a winner on the field, the 32-year-old is a role model off the field and a doting family man, which makes him an attractive proposition for a new club trying to attract sponsors.

However, Penn does not even want Cherry-Evans being in the conversation to join the Dolphins, and vowed to make the sure the No.7 finishes a “Sea Eagle for life”.

Melbourne issued a similar “hands-off” edict to Redcliffe about Harry Grant and Cameron Munster.

With his eight-year, $10 million mega deal to expire at the end of 2023 – the year Redcliffe enter the competition – Cherry-Evans and Manly have already commenced preliminary discussions that will see him stay another year, but more likely two seasons.

“It’s definitely our plan to make sure Daly finishes a one-club player,” Penn told The Sun-Herald. “He’s our club captain and we want him to win another comp for us and help bring the young guys through.

“Of course there is that [history with Redcliffe], but he’s been with us since he was 17 or 18, his family is well entrenched on the northern beaches and it would be a big move.

“We have unfinished business, and that will be at the front of his mind. We won a comp 10 years ago, but it’s been a dry argument since. I’m sure he’s keen to prove a point and make sure he goes out on top.

“We want him to stay. It’s only a matter of time before we work through the details.”

Bennett will look to finalise his coaching staff and then turn his sights to his playing roster. He needs a marquee man to help pave the way for other players to follow suit.

Munster and Brandon Smith have both been touted, as has Parramatta’s Reed Mahoney, while Cherry-Evans’ name has been mentioned by a few respected figures up north.

Cherry-Evans told the Herald earlier this year he had fond memories of Redcliffe as he prepared to play an NRL game with the Sea Eagles in his old backyard.

“My best memory was playing there at half-time during a Queensland Cup game,” he said. “I can still remember scoring a try as a kid. It gave me the biggest buzz. They had decent crowds at those games. I would have been a seven or eight years old.”

Redcliffe will this week reveal their front-of-jersey sponsor, while the Central Queensland Capras – the Rockhampton-based club where Munster grew up – have been added as a feeder club alongside the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Dolphins officials have already spoken about the fact Sydney-based players got the chance to experience a Queensland winter because of the competition being shifted north due to COVID-19 will help with their sales pitch.

Penn, whose family have ploughed millions of dollars into the Sea Eagles, welcomed the addition of a 17th club, provided “we’re growing the game and driving additional revenues for the game”.

The Sea Eagles bombed out in the preliminary finals and Penn knows the young players who were given their first taste of September football will only benefit the club in the years ahead.

Meanwhile, Manly players are expected to move into the club’s new $33 million centre of excellent at the end of February, in time for the new campaign, after COVID-19 disrupted construction.

Meanwhile, Manly players are expected to move into the club’s new $33 million centre of excellent at the end of February
the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Depend on what you determine as value for money @manly al.
He averages around 24 games a year for Manly, plays SOO, for Australia ( granted that would be in doubt due to Cleary but he's still next best ) and is in the top echelon of halfbacks in the world.
Yeah, he's not everyone's cup of tea but no one is.
Mainly in relation in being the highest paid player in the comp and expectations from that . Does tend to go missing a bit when his side is on the back foot and the game management front which has been cited on here for longer then i care to remember . But overall is a very talented and skillful footy player and more times then not , shows it for Manly .

Don't know if dce will end up there. But I don't think the NRL would want another laughing stock Qld team to add to the current ones.
I'm thinking they'll get some big names and make waves straight up.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8