• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I break it down like this:

Tom T (20 years old) throws two passes that he shouldn't have thrown...particularly the second one...just ruck it forward and earn the right to go wide. He'll learn.

Lloyd Perrett (35 FG games) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 20

Brad Parker (20 years old) needs to focus on ball security coming out of own 10m.

Add to that the collective defensive attitude of a team that thinks the game is won...a team that has only been assembled in the last 18 months months and a team with a number of players establishing themselves as first graders (even API falls into this category and he is a leader in this side).

Now DCE didn't drop any of those balls, nor did he throw any wild passes. He kicked well, chased hard and put his body on the line. As far as talk goes, well we heard that he inspired the team from the in goal against the Chooks when we were down, so I doubt he was too quiet yesterday.

I'm not saying he is a great leader or not a great leader but he stepped up with his actions yesterday and like others in the team, he is learning a new role (it's his first season as Captain).

If you want to single anyone out for a lack of leadership yesterday, it would be Taupau; he should have led the pack by example, instead he went in soft on Sue and he gave away ridiculous penalties at inopportune times.

I know the halves should be directing the entire side and at times they probably need to get in and really take the bull by the horns but even the best leaders in the competition would have struggled to contain the enivitable yesterday; what I mean to say is, sometimes the only way to learn is the hard way.
You forgot to add Butterfingers Lawrence to the list

279 tackles made - 53 missed tackles is probably the true indicator of our performance. But I still maintain that a smart and well executed game plan sees that game closed out at 20-6 halftime score or even 26-18 with 20 to go. If you remember the Chooks game we were carved up a bit by them in the back end of the game and they made easy ground coming out of their end. Some good scramble in defence and Roosters errors resulted in a scoreline that probably flattered us.

We are only second to the Tigers (ironically enough) in missed tackles this season, but we are worse then them in %age missed tackles as we have made far fewer than them. In fact we have made the least amount of tackles of any team this year - which i suppose is a plus as it means we have probably dominated possession overall and have had to do less defensive work. Admittedly missed tackle stats aren't the be all and end all as the Dogs have missed the least amount of tackles of any team and they couldn't beat time with a stick.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member

279 tackles made - 53 missed tackles is probably the true indicator of our performance. But I still maintain that a smart and well executed game plan sees that game closed out at 20-6 halftime score or even 26-18 with 20 to go. If you remember the Chooks game we were carved up a bit by them in the back end of the game and they made easy ground coming out of their end. Some good scramble in defence and Roosters errors resulted in a scoreline that probably flattered us.

We are only second to the Tigers (ironically enough) in missed tackles this season, but we are worse then them in %age missed tackles as we have made far fewer than them. In fact we have made the least amount of tackles of any team this year - which i suppose is a plus as it means we have probably dominated possession overall and have had to do less defensive work. Admittedly missed tackle stats aren't the be all and end all as the Dogs have missed the least amount of tackles of any team and they couldn't beat time with a stick.

Maybe couldn't beat time with a stick but watch them grow legs next weekend!

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Green hasn't been switched on for the past 6 weeks.
I'm wondering if he is hankering for the top placed Scumos where his workload was minimal :confused:
I agree, though I was wondering if it is the injury that had him rested but maybe hasn't healed?

HappilyManly

Journey Man
I agree, though I was wondering if it is the injury that had him rested but maybe hasn't healed?
When you watch him in interviews, he always mentions his past Club.

Playing with 3 superstars and an experienced Coach, was a much easier day at the office @:cool:

Whilst he is effective, I don't find him impressive nor inspiring :cool:

Maybe his quads are still tight and it stops him running :think:

double hoops

First Grader
Agree that it's inexperience on the part of your younger players.

For example Tom's didn't need to make those do or die passes for those intercepts when we're already up by so much on the board.

Hopefully he'll learn from the experience.
What concerns me. It's not a one off. It has been happening for weeks now.

To be fair Tom may set up one try a game from that long cut out pass. But last few months, it's like he has stopped reading the defensive line and picking when to throw it.

He has over used it. In other games we probably scored if he just went through the hands.

I find it hard to believe, the coaching staff haven't been working with Tommy on being more selective of when to throw that pass.

Then add Making the same identical error twice in the same game.

Are we not learning from our mistakes? Or are we way too predictable and over structured?

Snake

Snake's Alive!

I agree and I tend to think the missed tackles are an indication of the collective attitude of the team. Taupau's attempt on Sue was not a technique or structural issue, it was desire to stop the man with the ball.

The soft attitude is indicative of a side that thought the game was won. Throwing the ball wide before making a dent in the middle is also a sign of a team that thinks the game is won...so yes, the game plan should have been go forward, kick long, tackle hard. Some of the failure to execute this game plan does fall on the halves, as you have correctly pointed out.

In saying that, I do feel that DCE has done an outstanding job (on the whole) in leading the side this year. He has been in nearly career best form and led by example in most games. He will keep growing into the role but maybe we need a forward leader to help shoulder some of the load; a forward that could have come on in that last 20 minutes and helped right the ship, showing the young guys the way forward. It's something for recruitment to consider.

I also agree with your summation of last week and I yes I forgot Lawrence. I find that he is usually top of the villain list when we lose; he is a whole hearted player but his bad games are really bad.

Last edited:

Snake

Snake's Alive!
I agree that Marty was average at best yesterday,but I am not sure why people are saying he was weak with the tackle on Sue.Give Sue some credit,Marty planted and readied himself for contact and it was brilliant footwork from Sue at the last second to step him,all Marty or anyone could do was to fling out the left arm and hope for the best.Yes, a bit of a bonehead game from Marty but that was brilliant work from Sue,you expect that from a half or fullback,not a prop.
With all due respect, I vehemently disagree. That was one of the softest tries I have seen scored on a football field in years. Barrett said we let in some soft tries and that was the softest of the lot. Sue barely stepped more than the girth of waste line and Taupau just chucked an arm out and conceded.

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
Not sure if you and I saw the same thing. Tapau was in position to make the tackle, he just didn't use his arms to make it. There was little commitment or desire. No way was he evaded. He also gave away lazy high tackle penalty that go tigers down our quarter for the last 5 minutes. Is running with half the intensity of earlier in the year. Not sure what's happened to him.

Tapau is an enigma........he could be so so bloody good .............but he isn't!
He could destroy teams every week if he was so inclined.

Instead he drifts in and out of games, makes poor choices on his offloads often, and is ill disciplined.
How do you get a guy like this to realise his full potential? (apart from send him to Melbourne)

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
With all due respect, I vehemently disagree. That was one of the softest tries I have seen scored on a football field in years. Barrett said we let in some soft tries and that was the softest of the lot. Sue barely stepped more than the girth of waste line and Taupau just chucked an arm out and conceded.

Couldn't agree more, it was pitiful.

It was the 2nd tackle of the set and that run should have been stopped.
Gould was going on about his footwork..........but he often is watching a different game to the rest of us!

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Tapau is an enigma........he could be so so bloody good .............but he isn't!
He could destroy teams every week if he was so inclined.

Instead he drifts in and out of games, makes poor choices on his offloads often, and is ill disciplined.
How do you get a guy like this to realise his full potential? (apart from send him to Melbourne)
One-on-one coaching with T-Rex?

Smokin Joe

Bencher
No problem,we all see things differently.Lots of Tigers supporters believe Tommy's pass was forward,some here believe it wasn't.We disagree on the tackle,I saw him set and brace for the hit(watching replays as well) and saw the step and instinctive armfling out(which is an indicator of being caught off guard by a late step).If he had coathangered him he would have been given a few weeks and we would be calling him a bonehead for doing that.Personally I think he is playing injured,ever since the game a number of weeks back(I think he got wacked badly in the ribs)he has dropped off.We agree to disagree...(it is not the first time and doubtfully will be the last ;).

If you are basing that on the fact he is experienced then you could extend that flawed logic to conclude Mr Plod would have got us home yesterday.
Don't assume what I am basing my opinion on and then call it flawed logic. Nate Myles is busted. He hasn't turned out for the storm since they took him off Manly's hands. James graham is still up to his eyeballs in effort and attitude in a woefully poor bulldogs team (though I suspect he is carrying a shoulder injury).

Manly have no experienced hardened forward leader and a captain in cherry evans that is not of the disciplinarian mold. It would be a different situation looking James graham in the eye after giving away simple possession or throwing two intercepted passes than it would be cherry Evans or any of the manly forwards in the team at present. You could include someone like Paul Gallen Luke Lewis Beau Scott or sam burgess in the same scenario.

Nate Myles isn't that type of player because he doesn't have the runs on the board form wise and has always been a good 'bit' player never a dominant forward leader.

If manly were to get James graham with the dogs paying half his salary it would be a good move in my opinion.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12
12 6 6 2 12